A computer components & hardware forum. HardwareBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » HardwareBanter forum » System Manufacturers & Vendors » Dell Computers
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

dell E196FP monitor dying?

Old November 26th 12, 07:41 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
yirg.kenya
external usenet poster

Default dell E196FP monitor dying?

My dell E196FP monitor dying?

It sure looks like it. It's difficult to get the display to come up. I need to recycle the power several times before I can see the display. Otherwise, it's black, black, black. It's been getting worse.

Anything I can do, or has it reached the end of its life. I've had it quite a while.

This as the secondary screen in my dual monitor config. I need lots of windows.

If this is just the end of its life I've been thinking of the Dell S2440L as a replacement. $199 at costco. They let you return it for any reason. Dead pixels drive me nuts. The use is for work, not gaming or graphics design or such.
Old November 27th 12, 02:35 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Bob_Villa
external usenet poster

On Monday, November 26, 2012 1:41:39 PM UTC-6, yirg.kenya wrote:

It sure looks like it. It's difficult to get the display to come up. I need to recycle the power several times before I can see the display. Otherwise, it's black, black, black. It's been getting worse.

Anything I can do, or has it reached the end of its life. I've had it quite a while.

If this is just the end of its life I've been thinking of the Dell S2440L as a replacement. $199 at costco. They let you return it for any reason. Dead pixels drive me nuts. The use is for work, not gaming or graphics design or such.

This is caused by cheap electrolytic caps in the power supply. If you're up to it...you could change them! 8^)
http://www.digikey.com/
Old November 27th 12, 06:16 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
yirg.kenya
external usenet poster

Thanks! Could you pls say a little more?

I have no idea what electrolytic caps looks like nor where they would be, nor what I do. Just pry them off or??? Maybe it's obvious. I assume I open the back panel and voila, the power supply.

I'm certainly willing to give it a shot to spend $ instead of $$$.

The 19" Dell suits me fine as my 2nd monitor. I turned off the screen saver and now the display remains on. But this affected both monitors--I looked in AMD's catalyst s/w, the Win7 settings, and the Dell monitor settings themselves and saw no way of just doing this for the Dell.

But I'd rather shut down the entire system at night. Not just for electric savings (I assume there are some) but because if I don't I tend to waste time on the web, get to bed too late, and--staying up later--eat more. Which I most definitely do not need!!!

On Tuesday, November 27, 2012 6:35:12 AM UTC-8, Bob_Villa wrote:
On Monday, November 26, 2012 1:41:39 PM UTC-6, yirg.kenya wrote:

This is caused by cheap electrolytic caps in the power supply. If you're up to it...you could change them! 8^)

http://www.digikey.com/

Old November 27th 12, 07:24 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Bob_Villa
external usenet poster

Does the power light (LED) go out when this happens? You would have to make sure it's not a switch problem.
Old November 28th 12, 05:11 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
yirg.kenya
external usenet poster

No, the power light remains on whether or not the display is visible.

But, I powered down everything last night and this morning as usual the dell monitor screen did not come up.

After windows came up I started recycling power on the monitor but the screen remained dark. I did it several more times and then I noticed that there was the display appearing oh so briefly--the first times I could hardly make it out before the screen again descended into darkness. It actually looked like only part of the screen was displaying.

I continued to recycle the power and each time now the image lasted a bit longer. Finally, it just stayed on.

On Tuesday, November 27, 2012 11:24:00 AM UTC-8, Bob_Villa wrote:
Does the power light (LED) go out when this happens? You would have to make sure it's not a switch problem.

Old November 28th 12, 08:02 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Bob_Villa
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, November 28, 2012 11:11:52 AM UTC-6, yirg.kenya wrote:

But, I powered down everything last night and this morning as usual the dell monitor screen did not come up.

After windows came up I started recycling power on the monitor but the screen remained dark. I did it several more times and then I noticed that there was the display appearing oh so briefly--the first times I could hardly make it out before the screen again descended into darkness. It actually looked like only part of the screen was displaying.

I continued to recycle the power and each time now the image lasted a bit longer. Finally, it just stayed on.

Sounds like tube/inverter. If it were me...I'd go will a new monitor.
Old November 29th 12, 10:05 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
yirg.kenya
external usenet poster

Oh well, my wife wants to go to costco anyway.

Bob, thx for the help!

On Wednesday, November 28, 2012 12:02:28 PM UTC-8, Bob_Villa wrote:
On Wednesday, November 28, 2012 11:11:52 AM UTC-6, yirg.kenya wrote:

Sounds like tube/inverter. If it were me...I'd go will a new monitor.