PC Is Noisy

Old April 18th 09, 05:48 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

Default PC Is Noisy

A couple of days ago, my pc became rather noisy. The noise is nonstop
and loud.

I'm not overly comfortable with opening up the pc, but at work, when
we have issues like this, usually IT staff will isolate the cause to a
failing hard drive or bad fans.

Is there any software that I can use at home to determine the cause of
the noise?
Old April 18th 09, 06:11 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
123Jim

wrote in message
A couple of days ago, my pc became rather noisy. The noise is nonstop
and loud.

I'm not overly comfortable with opening up the pc, but at work, when
we have issues like this, usually IT staff will isolate the cause to a
failing hard drive or bad fans.

Is there any software that I can use at home to determine the cause of
the noise?

No software I know of, but look he
http://www.murraymoffatt.com/hardware-problem-0004.html for advice on noise
in computers

Old April 18th 09, 09:51 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
kony

On Sat, 18 Apr 2009 09:48:36 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

A couple of days ago, my pc became rather noisy. The noise is nonstop
and loud.

I'm not overly comfortable with opening up the pc, but at work, when
we have issues like this, usually IT staff will isolate the cause to a
failing hard drive or bad fans.

Is there any software that I can use at home to determine the cause of
the noise?

Maybe. Google for "HWMonitor", it is a simple app that, if
it supports your PC's hardware which you did not list, and
if your fans have an RPM signal feature and are plugged into
the motherboard which senses that, may indicate a fan
running at lower RPM than it should which would be the case
if a fan's bearing is shot and it's wobbling.

However you might need know the proper RPM it might've ran
at to know it's now too slow unless it's running very slow.

Also Google for a SMART monitoring application for your
hard drive, it might indicate if there is a problem and
visit your HDD manufacturer's website to get their
diagnostic utility to check the drive fitness.

Frankly, it'd be quicker to just open the system and locate
where the noise is coming from, and safer since you probably
don't want to be running the system in a potentially
overheating state if it's a fan, or for any longer than
necessary before copying data off as a backup if the hard
drive is failing.
Old April 18th 09, 10:01 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

No software I know of, but look hehttp://www.murraymoffatt.com/hardwar...m-0004.htmlfor advice on noise
in computers

Thanks for the link. As much as I didn't want to, I did open the pc
case up. Both the cpu and back fan are spinning. As per the link, I
did stick a paper clip for 1 sec into the fan on the back of the pc,
the one in the power supply as well as the one on the cpu. The noise
did not disappear.

However, I noticed that between the fan and the cpu, there is a ton of
dirt that has accumulated. I've tried blowing it out, but no go.
Could a dirty fan cause the noise?
Old April 18th 09, 10:46 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
123Jim

wrote in message

No software I know of, but look
hehttp://www.murraymoffatt.com/hardwar...m-0004.htmlfor advice on
noise
in computers

Thanks for the link. As much as I didn't want to, I did open the pc
case up. Both the cpu and back fan are spinning. As per the link, I
did stick a paper clip for 1 sec into the fan on the back of the pc,
the one in the power supply as well as the one on the cpu. The noise
did not disappear.

However, I noticed that between the fan and the cpu, there is a ton of
dirt that has accumulated. I've tried blowing it out, but no go.
Could a dirty fan cause the noise?

Dirt wont cause noise unless something is rubbing against it. You stopped
the CPU fan and the noise continued so it can't be the dirt or the fan there
that is causing the noise. If you have no other fans to test, then most
likely your hard drive is making the noise, that means it's probably going
to fail. You should buy a replacement drive a soon as possible. Don't forget
to backup your data regularly until you can replace the drive.

Old April 19th 09, 12:46 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

I found the cause. I didn't realize that there was a fan on the
underside of the video card. I cleaned it with canned air, no change.

Does that mean that I have to buy a new video card or is there a way
to replace just this fan? The video card is out of warranty now.
Old April 19th 09, 08:56 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
kony

On Sat, 18 Apr 2009 16:46:07 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

I found the cause. I didn't realize that there was a fan on the
underside of the video card. I cleaned it with canned air, no change.

Does that mean that I have to buy a new video card or is there a way
to replace just this fan? The video card is out of warranty now.

Take the card out, take the fan off, take the sticker off
the fan. Put a couple drops of heavy weight oil into the
fan bearing. Wipe off any excess that might have gotten
onto the area the sticker needs adhere to, (and put the plug
back in if there was one), then rub the sticker down to make
it adhere as well as possible.

Video card fan failures are quite common, one of the
earliest failure points in an otherwise quality built PC.
Lubing it before the fan starts chewing up the bearing is
the best option, but once that has started, relubing it
periodically can suffice, or if you can source a new fan
compatible that will too (but once again you should relube
it before it runs dry enough to start wobbling and making
noise), or buy an entire heatsink with fan included, and if
you don't have any, some thermal compound too so after
removing the original 'sink and cleaning off the GPU you can
put thermal compound on and attach the new 'sink.

Buying a new video card is an ultimate resolution from the
standpoint of it having a warranty, but usually isn't
necessary and is usually the most expensive option.
Old April 19th 09, 08:57 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
kony

On Sat, 18 Apr 2009 19:53:09 -0400, CBFalconer

A couple of days ago, my pc became rather noisy. The noise is
nonstop and loud.

I'm not overly comfortable with opening up the pc, but at work,
when we have issues like this, usually IT staff will isolate the
cause to a failing hard drive or bad fans.

Is there any software that I can use at home to determine the
cause of the noise?

Yes. It is that gray flabby material that connects your ears.

LOL, you're becoming as much of a cranky old fart as I am.

noisy fan [email protected] Dell Computers 8 April 30th 06 06:17 AM
noisy!! Yvon Dell Computers 4 November 24th 04 08:17 PM
New PC Noisy? George Pontis Homebuilt PC's 0 April 15th 04 12:02 AM
Noisy cpu fan Skjoldmø Homebuilt PC's 6 December 8th 03 11:05 AM