SD card & built in card reader problem

Old May 29th 08, 02:16 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
litefrozen[_2_]

Default SD card & built in card reader problem

I have a Aspire 5100-3583 with a built in card reader with Vista Home
Premium SP1.

I have a Lexar 1GB SD card and a Kodak 128MB SD card which I'm having
problems.

I can't get Vista to read the SD card. it shows up as a SD Card in
"Computer" but won't read. If I try to open it, it says to "Please
insert disk into SD drive"

when I try to format the card in Vista, in the format window where it
says "capacity", it says "unknown capacity".

I have checked the acer site and I have what appears to be the updated
driver "ENE Card Reader Driver 3.00.00" and the windows KB936825 update
was already installed.
Old May 29th 08, 02:55 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
HH

An obvious question: Are you sure it is the reader and not the cards? Do
other readers see them correctly? Does the reader recognize other memory
cards?

HH

Old May 30th 08, 05:09 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
litefrozen[_3_]

doS wrote:
as HH said, confirm it isnt the card.

I confirmed it wasn't the cards the first thing.

I believe I may have found the problem. It's looking like the contacts
in the card reader itself. They are not making proper contact with the
contacts on the cards.

I found if I insert then remove then reinsert the card a couple of times
it would mount properly.

So either the contacts are not tight enough against the card contacts or
the contacts in the card reader need cleaning.

I had not noticed this before because I had never used the built in card
reader before.

Old June 6th 08, 03:40 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
Tom

I have exactly the same intermittent read problem with the Aspire 5100
in that the 1GB SD cards sometimes read first time but often not until
taken out and put back in again. Sony memory sticks cause a complete
system reboot.

However the card reader will not read any SDHC cards (which most of
the bigger cards are ie. 4 - 8GB ones). Is there any driver update for
this device? I cannot see one on the Acer site that will work with my
laptop.

Rgds., Roy
Old June 7th 08, 05:13 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
Wandering

As far as I know, none of the built in readers can read a HC card, and
that's why most card mfgs supply a tiny converter to USB. They are very
cheap, and you can get one with a new card, and use it on all your HC cards.
There is no driver update possible, I am told, because the pin out is
different. I read my 4 GB SDHC card with no problems using the adapter to
USB, and the SD cards read fine plugged directly into my card reader built