Acer eRecover and partitions!

Old May 12th 08, 10:47 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
FokkerCharlie

Default Acer eRecover and partitions!

Hi all

I have just bought a jolly nice Acer Aspire 5920- but it has one
distressing shortcoming- no Vista install disks! There is, however,
the facility to make a 'Factory Default' disk, which I have already
done.

I will be installing Ubuntu on this machine, as I prefer it to
Windows, but a couple of questions before I start shuffing partitions
around:

Are the DVDs produced by the Recovery suite enough to restore Vista
on their own? I ask, as I intend to remove the hidden 'EISA
Configuration' partition which currently takes up about 10GB.

I won't be using Vista much, if at all, but as I have paid for it, I
may as well dual-boot, at least until I need the space that the extra
OS is taking up!

Also, there's another partition, it seems for Acer Arcade, which is
bootable from powered-off condition using a seperate key. I have
heard that installing Linux stops this working- anyone know why/how I
can circumvent this?

Thanks for your help!
Charlie
Old May 13th 08, 01:35 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
HH

No. The recovery disc you made MUST have an untouched "hidden" partition in
order to restore the original configuration.

HH

Old May 13th 08, 09:06 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
FokkerCharlie

Thanks for the response, HH.

That's jolly interesting- and begs the question- what's the point of
the recovery disk, then? I think that the original config is
recoverable from the hidden partition alone...

Cheers
Charlie

On 13 May, 13:35, "HH" wrote:
[...]

Charlie- Hide quoted text -

Old May 16th 08, 11:16 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
Mr. Slow

On 13 May, 13:35, "HH" wrote:
[...]

My suggestion to you would be to contact Acer and purchase a recovery set.
That way, no matter what you do with the partitions, you can always
recover your unit back to factory. Another solution would be to purchase
another hard drive to load Ubuntu onto, and just save the original hard
drive with it's original OS. Just remember, if you have to send it in
under warranty, to place the original hard drive back in the unit.

I cannot see the logic of a recovery disc which requires access to a
recovery partition on the HDD. It means that if there is a physical failure
of the hard drive, the OS is lost as well, and that is not in the spirit of
the OEM Vista license. I raised this issue with Acer tech. support and they
invited me to pay £50 for a set of recovery discs - to restore an OS for
which I already had a valid OEM license! Grossly unfair and you have to
ask - why do they do it that way?

The separate HDD solution you have suggested is the best solution to the
OP's enquiry.

Remove ".invalid" and replace with ".com" to reply

Old May 16th 08, 03:55 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
HH

The point is the recovery disc is bootable. So if the PC becomes unbootable,
the recovery CD can be inserted and the PC will boot from it. It also
contains the startup files for the restore process.

HH