Worm.Automat.AHB is scary... it seems to be out-competing spam for survival!

Old September 20th 03, 08:28 PM
Phil Weldon

Default Worm.Automat.AHB is scary... it seems to be out-competing spam for survival!

I'm getting infected e-mail at a rate 2500 times normal (2400 a day versus 5
a week), but the spam rate has dropped 90%. Where will it end... with the
destruction of Kudzu, cockroaches, and Brittney Spears?

I've now moved to a draconian rule to send the bogus 'Undelivered e-mail'
infected messages to the 'Deleted Items' folder... if the message body
contains any two of the words

'Undelivered'
OR
'e-mail'
OR
'Deliver'
OR
'email'
OR
'unable'
OR
'message'
OR
'bug'

it goes into the 'Deleted Items' folder.

Phil Weldon,

Phil Weldon,

Old September 20th 03, 10:12 PM
YanquiDawg

It's getting bad here too. Thanks for the suggestions on limiting this crap..
Add "abort notice" and "security pack" to that list.I've now moved to a

Old September 20th 03, 10:19 PM
Archduke

visit www.spamihilator.com for a free and working SPAM-Filter Proggie. It
works with bayesian rules and appears to do this very well. Dont forget to
download some of the nice plugins.
Gx Archduke

Old September 21st 03, 12:19 AM
Thomas

SPS 700 wrote:
I am having the same problems. It is a royal PITA.

Yup... i'll leave my laptop online, filtering email...
Hope it wont crash...

Thomas

Old September 21st 03, 01:04 AM
Winey

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 19:28:35 GMT, "Phil Weldon"
wrote:

[...]

What does your mail rule look like? This is an interesting rule.

Phil Weldon,

Phil Weldon,

Old September 21st 03, 09:16 AM
Phil Weldon

([string1] AND [string2 OR string3 OR ... stringN])
OR
([string2] AND [string3 OR string4 OR ... stringN])
OR
([string3] AND [string4 OR ... stringN])
OR
..
..
..
([string{N-1}] AND [stringN)

But my current list of strings only catches about two thirds of the bogus
'Undeliverable e-mail' type, so I'm going to try the Inboxer Outlook Addin
rather than fool around with Visual Basic anymore. This com develops rules
by comparing messages you select to keep and those you consider Spam. I've
already got nearly 2000 thousand examples of Worm.Automat.AHB generated
messages, so Inboxer ought to pretty quickly develop effect rules.

Phil Weldon,

Old September 21st 03, 09:36 AM
Thomas

Phil, i sent you an email, would you please tgell me if it walked through
your spoam trap? You put SO many words in there it's got me scared, hahaha

Thomas

Old September 21st 03, 10:01 AM
Phil Weldon

I received your e-mail and the bogus e-mail rules identifed it as suspect
Worm Spam. It isn't set to delete yet, so I still have it. My rules
application also has a bug, so that if one of the words appears twice this
triggers the identification rather than requiring any two DIFFERENT words
appearing. This is why I'm now trying to set up Inboxer for Outlook. When
I get I working I'll post my experience with it.

Phil Weldon,

Old September 21st 03, 12:08 PM
Thomas

Phil Weldon wrote:
I received your e-mail and the bogus e-mail rules identifed it as
suspect Worm Spam. It isn't set to delete yet, so I still have it.
My rules application also has a bug, so that if one of the words
appears twice this triggers the identification rather than requiring
any two DIFFERENT words appearing. This is why I'm now trying to set
up Inboxer for Outlook. When I get I working I'll post my experience
with it.

Erm, okay, but it was a legitimate email ;-) I sent some pointers about my
filter words :-)

Thomas