Traveling in Europe (need good WiFi extension for Windows)

Old May 16th 15, 04:40 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.internet.wireless,alt.comp.hardware
Werner Obermeier

Default Traveling in Europe (need good WiFi extension for Windows)

"J. P. Gilliver (John)" wrote in
:

I haven't found anything _graphical_ to run under Windows that comes
anywhere near what's available for Android 'phones (that might be useful
in finding the best spot, using the 'phone);

I haven't checked in a while, but I used to use InSSIDer freeware on
Windows all the time.

It gave you the nice color-coded graphs with channel on the x axis and
decibels on the y axis, with the BSSID highlighted for the connected SSID
(which is very useful for hotels and homes with WiFi extenders).
Old May 16th 15, 11:50 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.internet.wireless,alt.comp.hardware
J. P. Gilliver (John)

In message , Werner Obermeier
writes:
"J. P. Gilliver (John)" wrote in
:

I haven't found anything _graphical_ to run under Windows that comes
anywhere near what's available for Android 'phones (that might be useful
in finding the best spot, using the 'phone);

I haven't checked in a while, but I used to use InSSIDer freeware on
Windows all the time.

It gave you the nice color-coded graphs with channel on the x axis and
decibels on the y axis, with the BSSID highlighted for the connected SSID
(which is very useful for hotels and homes with WiFi extenders).

Sadly, it seems to no longer be freewa
http://www.metageek.com/products/inssider/

(There seems to be a freeware version at
http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html, but I don't know
if that site adds PUPs. I've tried installing it [XP], but it crashes
for me.)
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)Ar@T+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when
you make it again. -Franklin P. Jones
Old May 17th 15, 04:13 AM posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.internet.wireless,alt.comp.hardware
Werner Obermeier

"J. P. Gilliver (John)" wrote in
:

Sadly, it seems to no longer be freewa
http://www.metageek.com/products/inssider/

That's too bad because it was the best freeware bar none, for graphical
identification of the network, especially when there were multiple SSID's
of the exact same name (as in a hotel or a home with a wifi extender).

On Windows, I used to save *every* installer file (in the same hierarchy
that I used for my installation and menus); so I'm pretty sure if I can
find that DVD disc, I have the freeware version saved.

On Android, I use Infolife LLC App Backup & Restore freeware, which saves
what's effectively the ZIP file onto your flash card at the time of
installation. That way, you can back up your flash card to DVD disc, and
you have an automatic copy of every APK installer, in case they no longer
are available in freeware.
Old May 17th 15, 06:57 AM posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.internet.wireless,alt.comp.hardware
Werner Obermeier

Werner Obermeier wrote in :

On Windows, I used to save *every* installer file (in the same hierarchy
that I used for my installation and menus); so I'm pretty sure if I can
find that DVD disc, I have the freeware version saved.

I should mention that it's the same hierarchy, but not the same
directories.

That is, I saved all my InSSIDer installers to:
c:\software\hardware\wifi\inssider\(various versions go here)

I installed the programs into:
c:\apps\hardware\wifi\inssider\(various exe and dll files go here)

I added a link (shortcut) to the menu at:
Start Menu hardware wifi inssider.lnk

I do realize most Windows users ...
a) Don't save the installers, and,
b) Don't create a separate start menu, and,
c) Don't create a separate app hierarchy.

I realize this is a philosophical take on how to organize every computer
you've ever used (since the tasks are always the same on all computers),
but, I just wanted to clarify the statement that the installers, menus,
and programs are always installed to the same hierarchy.
Old May 18th 15, 07:48 AM posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.internet.wireless,alt.comp.hardware
Zaidy036[_2_]

Werner Obermeier wrote:
Char Jackson wrote in
:

If it's truly next door, I'd be tempted to take along an Ethernet cable
and an access point, after checking with the S-I-L to make sure there's
an Ethernet port available in her apartment.

I'm sure there are ports on the router, and, since they don't seem very
high tech, I'll assume (for now) that there is an open Ethernet port.

Funny that you mentioned it, but there *is* a balcony connecting the two
flats (how did you know?) so, the cable would work, albeit, it's probably
the worst case from an aesthetics standpoint.

But, the idea has merit that, maybe, I shouldn't try to boost my
daughter's laptop signal so much as boost the signal coming out of my
sister in law's home broadband router.

Maybe there is a device I can plug into the port of the home broadband
router that will directionally boost the signal to the other apartment?

I happen to have a spare Ubiquiti Bullet M2 which maybe I can use with a
decently small antenna so as to be somewhat unobtrusive connected to the
home broadband router. I can leave it with them, if it works.

If the apartments share a wall have a hole drilled thru it and run an
Ethernet cable between. Cost probably not exceed other options and can be
patched if one apartment sold later.

--
Zaidy036
Old May 18th 15, 09:58 AM posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.internet.wireless,alt.comp.hardware
Steve Hayes

On Mon, 18 May 2015 06:48:26 +0000 (UTC), Zaidy036
wrote:

Werner Obermeier wrote:
Char Jackson wrote in
:

[...]

I prefer my Bear Extender.

It works through a wall, but, unlike drilling a hole (think of the
cost of a drill) it works in any room of the house, and in other
places where I might want to use WiFi too.

--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
Web:
Old May 21st 15, 04:38 AM posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.internet.wireless,alt.comp.hardware
Steve Hayes

On Tue, 19 May 2015 08:00:49 +0000 (UTC), Werner Obermeier
wrote:

Steve Hayes wrote in
:

It works through a wall, but, unlike drilling a hole (think of the
cost of a drill) it works in any room of the house, and in other
places where I might want to use WiFi too.

I agree. Drilling a hole would work in my own home, but not in
someone else's apartment just so that my kid could get net signal
while on a summer visit.

Especially when the drill you would have to buy to do it would
probably cost more than the extender gadget anyway.

Old May 21st 15, 04:22 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.internet.wireless,alt.comp.hardware
Char Jackson

On Thu, 21 May 2015 05:38:01 +0200, Steve Hayes
wrote:

On Tue, 19 May 2015 08:00:49 +0000 (UTC), Werner Obermeier
wrote:

Steve Hayes wrote in
:

It works through a wall, but, unlike drilling a hole (think of the
cost of a drill) it works in any room of the house, and in other
places where I might want to use WiFi too.

I agree. Drilling a hole would work in my own home, but not in
someone else's apartment just so that my kid could get net signal
while on a summer visit.

Especially when the drill you would have to buy to do it would
probably cost more than the extender gadget anyway.

Don't most people have a drill? Even if a person doesn't already have one or
more, they start at about $30 unless you can wait for a sale or you don't
mind shopping at Harbor Freight. Prices start at under $20 at HF, but you
can do much better if you wait for a sale. Heck, you can also buy used and
probably get down around $10.

Old May 21st 15, 06:12 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.internet.wireless,alt.comp.hardware
Ken Blake[_2_]

wrote:

Especially when the drill you would have to buy to do it would
probably cost more than the extender gadget anyway.

Don't most people have a drill? Even if a person doesn't already have one or
more, they start at about $30 unless you can wait for a sale or you don't
mind shopping at Harbor Freight. Prices start at under $20 at HF, but you
can do much better if you wait for a sale. Heck, you can also buy used and
probably get down around $10.

You're talking about an *electric* drill. Holes can be drilled with
manually-operated drills too, which are considerably less expensive,
and for someone who doesn't have to drill a lot of holes, they can be
adequate.