WIN 7 Major USB Hardware Incompatibilities ?

Old February 22nd 10, 10:02 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.hardware
mike

Default WIN 7 Major USB Hardware Incompatibilities ?

Nil wrote:
On 22 Feb 2010, mike wrote in alt.windows7.general:

It's Microsoft's responsibility to make their new OS compatible
with the hardware I already have. I'm sure they have a lot of
excuses. I don't want excuses. I want my (*(*& hardware to
continue to work!!! It may not support new features, but it should
do at least what it used to do.
Period!!!

Sorry, but you're living in a fantasy world - that's not the way it
goes. Unless Microsoft makes an explicit claim that a certain piece of
hardware will work, out-of-the-box with Windows, then it's up to the
manufacturer to supply the device driver. That's the way it has ALWAYS
worked with EVERY version of Windows. That's probably the way it will
always work. Get used to it... and urge the hardware vendor to release
updated drivers. You're more liable to get results doing that than
complaining here or to Microsoft.

I just built myself this handy dandy digital butt-scratcher with a USB
interface. Do you suppose Windows 7 supports it?

You're welcome to your bend-over-and-take-it attitude.
If XP could run my hardware device, there's no reason that W7 can't.
The code is already written. It works just fine.
M$ CHOSE to change things in a manner that caused a perfectly working
driver to quit working. I don't care WHY they did it. I want them
to continue to include the support they already had.

My C: drive is 9gigabytes of M$ bloat. Another bit of bloat for legacy
support wouldn't have killed them.

Yes, I'm sure there are all kinds of excuses. I don't want excuses.
I want those M$ geniuses to figger out how to make it work.
You can bet if it had been a priority, it would have happened.

This "throw away everything and start over" every few years has gotta
stop!!!

Dear valued customer,
Toyoter motor company announces an exciting new line of motor vehicles
chock full of features you'll never use. In order to support these
exciting new features, we had to change some parameters.

Our new vehicles are no longer compatible with garages built prior
to 1998.

Some parking spaces no longer work. You'll find that out when you
reach your destination and try to park.

In order to use toll roads, you'll need to purchase the optional
toll upgrade that works...mostly...

Our vehicles are no longer permitted in school zones.

Standard gasoline from your corner filling station will still
work in compatibility mode with significantly reduced fuel mileage.

If you have any child car seats or personal electronic items that were
used in your car, you will need to replace them. Legacy snow tires are no
longer supported.
Any towable trailers will need to be replaced.

Our ULTIMATE upgrade is required for trips greater than 100 miles.

Please remember that Toyoter motor company is the ONLY option available
to you. We trust you will continue to buy our products...because
you have no other choice.

Sorry for any inconvenience.
Old February 22nd 10, 10:22 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.hardware
Trev[_6_]

"mike" wrote in message
Nil wrote:
[...]

Well if you have XP drivers for 64 bit then install them in compatibility
mode. Right click the setup EXE select the compatibility tab and set for XP
sp3 compatible.
My HP scanner only had basic drivers for WIN 7 so that what I did and got
the full features.

Old February 22nd 10, 10:28 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.hardware
Char Jackson

On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 14:02:06 -0800, mike wrote:

Nil wrote:
[...]

If that were true, your devices would continue to run just as they
did. Since they don't, there must be a reason. The reason is that the
hardware driver is not compatible with the new OS. You have things
bass ackwards if you think the OS needs to be compatible with 3rd
party hardware. It's the responsibility of the 3rd party hardware
vendors to provide drivers that work with the OS, not the other way
around. You don't have to like it, but that's the way it is.

The code is already written. It works just fine.

If it worked fine, you wouldn't be here complaining.

M$ CHOSE to change things in a manner that caused a perfectly working
driver to quit working. I don't care WHY they did it. I want them
to continue to include the support they already had.

They do. Just continue to use the OS you were using.

My C: drive is 9gigabytes of M$ bloat. Another bit of bloat for legacy
support wouldn't have killed them.

No thanks, I don't want tens of thousands of unneeded drivers
cluttering up my system.

Yes, I'm sure there are all kinds of excuses. I don't want excuses.
I want those M$ geniuses to figger out how to make it work.
You can bet if it had been a priority, it would have happened.

You can also bet if it was Microsoft's responsibility it might have
happened, but the truth (whether you want to believe it or not) is
that hardware vendors are responsible for providing drivers for their
equipment. Period.

This "throw away everything and start over" every few years has gotta
stop!!!

Who forced you to change your Operating System? If all of your devices
worked with XP, why not stay with XP?

In short, you're flat out wrong about where the responsibility lies
here.

Old February 22nd 10, 10:42 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.hardware
Trimble Bracegirdle

I'm finding some suggestions that having more than 4 Gig RAM in
a Windows 7 64Bit install leads to greater problems.

Hardware uses addresses at the top of memory
with 64bit & greater than 4Gig RAM those addresses can be off what the
device driver can cope with.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") mouse ( You could install Win 95 1st Issue in 40 MB's)

Old February 22nd 10, 11:57 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.hardware
Nil[_3_]

On 22 Feb 2010, mike wrote in alt.windows7.general:

You're welcome to your bend-over-and-take-it attitude.
If XP could run my hardware device, there's no reason that W7
can't. The code is already written.

Is it? How do you know that? Did the hardware manufacturer tell you
that? It's their code, so I guess they would know. (hint: the drivers
were not written by Microsoft.)

This "throw away everything and start over" every few years has
gotta stop!!!

I agree with you there. It's a game the software and hardware
manufacturers play with each other. That's how they stay in business.
But there's a solution: don't upgrade anything. I stuck with Windows
2000 until 2006, because it worked fine for me. I only upgraded to XP
when I wanted to run a program that required it, so I built a new
computer from the ground up, researching all the hardware to make sure
everything was compatible. And it still works.

Our new vehicles are no longer compatible with garages built prior
to 1998.

Oh, darn, my engine crank doesn't work with my 2001 Prius. Call the
Attorney General!

Oh, dear, the engine from my '75 Cadillac won't fit in my Kia Rio!
Curse you, Henry Ford!

Please remember that Toyoter motor company is the ONLY option
available to you. We trust you will continue to buy our
products...because you have no other choice.

Here's where your analogy falls apart: there are alternatives. Go buy a
Mac (but I bet you'll have similar problems there) or get onea them
free OSs that only supports about 10 different hardware devices, or...
just stay with what you have that already works. You don't have to jump
on the moving Microsoft train, you know.

You must be a recent Windows user, because EVERY Microsoft OS upgrade
has left some hardware in the dust. If this is the first time you ever
noticed it, you're lucky.
Old February 23rd 10, 12:36 AM posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.hardware
mike

Nil wrote:
[...]

Microsoft provides tools, processes, techniques, interfaces that
vendors use to write drivers.
When microsoft arbitrarily CHANGES these base processes, the drivers fail.
If M$ did not change the processes, but supported them for legacy code,
drivers written by vendors for legacy products would continue to provide
whatever functionality they provided before the OS change.

It is MOST DEFINITELY a M$ responsibility to allow old drivers to
continue to work and coexist with drivers written using the new
tools/processes/techinques/interfaces provided with the new OS.

Additionally, M$ keeps changing the tools so that it is inconvenient or
expensive for writers of new drivers to support older operating systems
without a complete rewrite. This FORCES users to update the OS go get
drivers/support for NEW devices...which obsoletes their old hardware...which
forces users to buy new peripherals to go with their new OS.

They get you coming and going.

This "throw away everything and start over" every few years has gotta
stop!!!

Who forced you to change your Operating System? If all of your devices
worked with XP, why not stay with XP?

Microsoft forced me to update the OS because the tools they provided
to software vendors made it expensive to support older operating
systems...So there's new software that REQUIRES the new OS. Ditto
for new hardware.

Old February 23rd 10, 01:01 AM posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.hardware
John McGaw

On 2/22/2010 5:42 PM, Trimble Bracegirdle wrote:
I'm finding some suggestions that having more than 4 Gig RAM in
a Windows 7 64Bit install leads to greater problems.

Hardware uses addresses at the top of memory
with 64bit& greater than 4Gig RAM those addresses can be off what the
device driver can cope with.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") mouse ( You could install Win 95 1st Issue in 40 MB's)

The amount of memory should not be a problem as long as there is enough.
Having 4gB+ is a good thing. A driver is either compatible with the OS or
it isn't. If it is then it will handle as much memory as the OS supports
and having less memory is not going to make the incompatible magically
compatible. I've not found any USB hardware with incompatible drivers on my
W7-64bit beyond my old HP ScanJet. But given that the hardware is about ten
years old that is probably to be expected.
Old February 23rd 10, 01:20 AM posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.hardware
Char Jackson

On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 16:36:32 -0800, mike wrote:

Char Jackson wrote:
On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 14:02:06 -0800, mike wrote:

Microsoft provides tools, processes, techniques, interfaces that
vendors use to write drivers.
When microsoft arbitrarily CHANGES these base processes, the drivers fail.
If M$ did not change the processes, but supported them for legacy code,
drivers written by vendors for legacy products would continue to provide
whatever functionality they provided before the OS change.

It is MOST DEFINITELY a M$ responsibility to allow old drivers to
continue to work and coexist with drivers written using the new
tools/processes/techinques/interfaces provided with the new OS.

OK, you've made your desires known. They don't match the reality of
the situation, though, so I suspect you're going to continue to be
disappointed. My best advice is to stop changing your OS just because
a new one comes along. The existence of a new OS doesn't make your old
OS suddenly stop working.

Additionally, M$ keeps changing the tools so that it is inconvenient or
expensive for writers of new drivers to support older operating systems
without a complete rewrite. This FORCES users to update the OS go get
drivers/support for NEW devices...which obsoletes their old hardware...which
forces users to buy new peripherals to go with their new OS.

Sorry, I'm not buying what you're selling. Wouldn't you have to look
long and hard to find a peripheral that only works with Win7 and not
with XP, for example? Again I ask, how are you being forced to upgrade
your OS? Just stay with what you had.

What is better Athlon XP or Athlon 64 ? Binary incompatibilities ? Jason Stacy Asus Motherboards 0 January 6th 07 06:39 PM
Major hardware problems - fans shutting down - overheating loreleibansidhe Homebuilt PC's 4 September 22nd 06 05:58 PM
major problem code_wrong General 0 November 12th 05 02:17 PM
Adding Memory Incompatibilities. Reality or nightmare? Tomás Ortí Martín Dell Computers 30 June 6th 04 04:55 AM
EBUYER: Site incompatibilities M@ UK Computer Vendors 1 January 21st 04 08:50 AM