PC parts with the style of a mac?

Old December 10th 09, 12:42 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Mickel

Default PC parts with the style of a mac?

"kony" wrote in message
If you want something that looks like a Mac, buy a Mac.

That is an option but I'm a bit nervous about doing that as it's not
necessarily a supported path.

BUT, "style" is not some fixed list of features, it varies
per person. Some people think glowing things are cool,
others think they look like a teenager's distraction or
eyesore. Some think brushed aluminum is nice, to others it
reminds them of a casket. Some think big is good, others
small, others thick, others thin.

Some don't care how it's made, just what it looks like.
Others vice-versa.

There is no answer to your question except to not ask us, go
look at some cases and pick out one... all the while
remembering that in the end, what looks best is to not have
the case in the way, in view at all, to have it tucked away
so you have a clean non-cluttered area. Towards that end,
spending more on a case to make it visually appealing is a
total waste of money.

A case is meant to house components, art is meant to be
visually appealing. Recognize the purpose of each and you
will be ahead of where you are now.

That was a fantastic speech but I am just after suggestions. I don't know
what the customer wants and they possibly don't know either until they've
seen it. I really wouldn't have thought this would be so complicated.

Michael

Old December 10th 09, 12:44 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Mickel

"terryc" wrote in message
Just look around. Seriously, I hope you've taken a quote fee for all this
time wasting.

It's not me causing the time wasting, it's everyone here who feels the need
to turn everything into an arguement.

Michael

Old December 10th 09, 12:48 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Mickel

"DevilsPGD" wrote in message
Dell makes some interesting machines, if you're more interested in a
fashion statement then the job at hand.

I had a look at dell, they do have some interesting stuff. I neve realised
they made such an interesting range.

http://www.adamobydell.com/ is one such example of a line competing more
on style than substance. They're not particularly bad machines, but for
the price, you could do better.

Thanks, looks interesting. I don't think money is a huge issue, the idea is
to make a dental surgery that looks upmarket so they have to expect a little
extra cost at least.

You really need to define a bit more about what you want to get better
feedback, I'm a bit of a fan of the Lenovo style myself.

I'm really just after any suggestions.

Michael

Old December 10th 09, 01:46 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Allen[_2_]

DevilsPGD wrote:
In message Allen
was claimed to have wrote:

And the connections all on the back, where a contortionist can't get to
them. Which means that you have to pull it out of its cubbyhole. Which,
in turn, means all the cables have to be four feet longer than
necessary. That's the only problem I have with the usual PC style.

I currently own three laptops, and my girlfriend has one. Not a single
one have "all connections on the back", and only one has *any*
connections on the back (and then only the power)

None of the laptops were chosen with any care toward the physical
location of connections.

As the OP mentioned speakers, I must assume that the subject was
desktops. My desktop has four USBs on the front, which I use for things
like scanners and card readers that require only temp connection for my.
I have four more in the back, plus another four on an added PCI card in
back. As the front ones plus the two hubs I use aren't as fast as the
rear ones, I have to rely on the back ones for my three external drives,
my cable moden, the hubs, and one for future use. The hubs are used for
two printers, keyboard, wireless mouse receiver, MP3 player, speakers
and various things that come and go.

Complicating the problem are two things that manufacturers could solve:
One is the multitude of variations in "bricks", as we used to call them.
I have three great ones from Rhino, which can be set for 6 different
voltages, and best feature, six interchangeable tips. How did the tip
sizes get completely out of control? The other problem is USB cables:
two popular connector types, and a third that is used less often. Why
can't we get interchangeable tips, at least in the two most common
sizes? I can get cables that have a huge number of special tips for $25;
I am drowning in cables as everything USB come with a cable that is
still OK after the device dies. I wish I could buy the interchangeable
tips separately--if anyone nows of a source, please let me know.

Another item I would like to see is a brick with three or four separate
outlets, each with a voltage control and interchangeable tips like the
Rhino. And put about a six inch cable on it so that the thing doesn't
take up two or three outlets on a power strip. I have to use two
seven-socket power strips because of those bricks.

That's my gripe for the day.

Allen
Old December 10th 09, 01:55 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
kony

On Thu, 10 Dec 2009 00:42:51 GMT, "Mickel"
wrote:

That was a fantastic speech but I am just after suggestions. I don't know
what the customer wants and they possibly don't know either until they've
seen it. I really wouldn't have thought this would be so complicated.

Michael

Guessing what "style" a person likes is always complicated.

Old December 10th 09, 01:56 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
kony

On Thu, 10 Dec 2009 00:39:06 GMT, "Mickel"
wrote:

"terryc" wrote in message
On Wed, 09 Dec 2009 15:34:26 -0600, DevilsPGD wrote:

http://www.adamobydell.com/ is one such example of a line competing more
on style than substance. They're not particularly bad machines, but for
the price, you could do better.

Isn't that the whole point of "style" = crap at expensive prices?

Quite often yes but that does not have to be the case. The dell monitor I
bought was quite stylish and cheap (23", better than full HD res, web cam,
usb, microphone, dvi, hdmi for $237AU).

Michael

BUT, is it "Mac" style?

Big difference.
Old December 10th 09, 01:57 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
kony

On Wed, 09 Dec 2009 10:15:05 -0600, Allen
wrote:

If you want style, hang art on your wall. The ideal
computer is not a stylish one, it's one hidden under your
desk so it isn't seen at all unless you look for it.

And the connections all on the back, where a contortionist can't get to
them. Which means that you have to pull it out of its cubbyhole.

Once it's built, how often does one reasonably pull their
primary use system out to fiddle with it? How hard is it
really to grab a small metal box and slide it a couple feet?

Which,
in turn, means all the cables have to be four feet longer than
necessary. That's the only problem I have with the usual PC style.
Allen

I've never found it as hard as you imply.

Old December 10th 09, 01:59 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
kony

On Thu, 10 Dec 2009 00:44:22 GMT, "Mickel"
wrote:

"terryc" wrote in message
Just look around. Seriously, I hope you've taken a quote fee for all this
time wasting.

It's not me causing the time wasting, it's everyone here who feels the need
to turn everything into an arguement.

Michael

Are you closer to your goal? If yes, great. If no, you're
wasting time. Let's stick to the objective solution.
Old December 10th 09, 03:54 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
~misfit~[_14_]

Somewhere on teh intarwebs DevilsPGD wrote:
In message Allen
was claimed to have wrote:

And the connections all on the back, where a contortionist can't get
to them. Which means that you have to pull it out of its cubbyhole.
Which, in turn, means all the cables have to be four feet longer than
necessary. That's the only problem I have with the usual PC style.

I currently own three laptops, and my girlfriend has one. Not a
single one have "all connections on the back", and only one has *any*
connections on the back (and then only the power)

None of the laptops were chosen with any care toward the physical
location of connections.

Did anyone else mention laptops?

No?

OK.
--
Shaun.

Old December 10th 09, 05:10 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Mickel

"kony" wrote in message
Guessing what "style" a person likes is always complicated.

I'm just after *suggestions* not a debate. :-)