Run your expert eyes over this please?

Old August 28th 03, 10:06 AM
Toby Newman

Default Run your expert eyes over this please?

Tonight I'm going to set up my new mobo, cpu and ram. I'm a newbie at
all this FSB & voltage stuff, so I've been collecting info from the
web and have compiled the following plan of action.

Before I set about doing everything here, I'd appreciate it if you
could run your expert eyes over it and point out any errors or
possible optimisations.

Background: When finished, my system must be stable, but obviously I'd
like as much speed as I can safely/easily get.

=PLAN OF ACTION=========================
=Hardware===============================
Mobo: Asus A7N8X
CPU: Athlon XP 2200, core unknown. To find out if your XP2200 is
A-Core or B-Core, look at the CPUID. 680 is A core, 681 is B core.
This is printed on the CPU.
Memory: Crucial CT6464Z40B, 512Mb, 184 pin DIMM, DDR PC3200, SDRAM
timings: CL=3, DIMM type:Unbuffered, Error checking: Non-parity, 5ns,
2.5V, 64Meg x 64.

=Bios===================================
Flash the bios so that you are up to date. Visit the asus website. You
need your PCI revision number, which is on a sticker between two PCI
slots on the mobo, just to the right of the A7N8X model name.

Bios settings:

CPU external freq 133
CPU freq mult. MENU 13.5X
Performance User Defined
CPU interface Aggressive
Memory freq 100%
Memory timing Aggressive

You want memory at 100% (in synch) because this reduces the number of
wait states making everything run faster.

The Athlon 2200 is supposed to run at 1800MHz. Correct standard
settings for this combo is: 133MHz FSB, Multiplier at 13.5 or auto.
(Check the mainboard, because a jumper may limit the FSB to 100MHz.
Check all jumpers, because they are not always in the default
positions.)

If you want a little more, without overclocking but using the "full"
333MHz (166*2 actually), set 166MHz FSB and Multiplier to 11. The
higher the FSB, the higher the performance. If you can't get this
working with the lower multiplier, you XP2200 is probably locked.

Really, if you're using fast ram like pc3200, you want an fsb of 200
(otherwise it's a waste) but try 133 and 166fsb first. Check for
stability each time using "prime95".

Vcore should be 1.65v normally. You could try raising it a little?

correctly ? It needs to be in the 266/333 position for all your chips
- NOT
the 133 position !

To enable dual-channel ram, put one module of ram in socket 1 and the
other (preferably identical) module in socket 3.

=Assoc Info=============================
Athlon XP Processor
Operating Voltage
1.65 V