PC freeze playing MOHAA

Old February 4th 08, 06:45 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Grumps

Default PC freeze playing MOHAA

"dynax" wrote in message

kony;788330 Wrote:
On Sat, 2 Feb 2008 20:18:03 -0000, "Grumps"
wrote:

-
I knew it wasn't just me, thanks!
EA have suggested several things, but none make any difference.
I think the ball lies in ATI's court. They, so far, haven't given a
reply to
my support question (except the automated one).
Still, I can get MOHAA working on my other PC with an ATI 1950, or I
could
replace the new 3850 with the old (and crap) nVidia 7300LE.

It's weird that my problem is only after loading a saved game. It's
also
confusing as to why only some people have an issue with MOHAA and the
3850.
-

Even if there is something about the 3850 driver which is
incompatible with the game, that the game works fine until
something about that game is different by loading a save
point, seems to indicate it is a game problem. If it were
purely a video card problem it seems likely it would result
without having to load a saved game, that the video driver
is a constant while the saved game running is the variable.

For me it's not only when I open a save.file, I only play this game
online, so if I play online the game crashes after about 30 seconds to
2 minutes. I think it's a driver problem.

BTW: I'm going to send back my 3870, and get a nVidia 8800GS for it.

That may be my only sensible choice too.
I got a response from AMD customer care (not!). It was basically a
reiteration of their automated response; so of no use whatsoever.

Old February 4th 08, 09:55 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Grumps

wrote:

[...]

This is far too confusing for me!
If it's a game problem, why is it specific to this card? Weird!

EA have said try manually unistalling the game. Which I will do later
today. They've said that this game has never been tested with this card;
and I guess they'll never do it either (old game).
After I suggested that they solve this issue as MOHAA is one of the only
(the only?) WWII fps with an age rating of only 12, they said that EA tech
support have no links with the developers so my suggestion probably won't
result in a devlepment investigation.

I'll also try a complete re-install of XP (I can borrow a new disk from
work), and see what happens.

Right, that's a fresh install of WinXP-pro, the latest ATI drivers, and then
the game.
Still crashes in exactly the same way.
I admit defeat!

Old February 5th 08, 09:28 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Sleepy

"Grumps" wrote in message
wrote:

I knew it wasn't just me, thanks!
EA have suggested several things, but none make any difference.
I think the ball lies in ATI's court. They, so far, haven't given a
reply to
my support question (except the automated one).
Still, I can get MOHAA working on my other PC with an ATI 1950, or I
could
replace the new 3850 with the old (and crap) nVidia 7300LE.

It's weird that my problem is only after loading a saved game. It's also
confusing as to why only some people have an issue with MOHAA and the
3850.

Have you tried swapping the 1950 in place of your 3850 ? That would isolate
the problem
- whether its the 3850 specifically or not.

Also - are you forcing AA in the drivers control panel? AA on the 1950 is
done in hardware
but on the 3850 its done through software I believe.

Also - I should have mentioned I only use the drivers with the old style CP
not the CCC.
I look on www.NGOHQ.com for my drivers. I force AF through the CP but not
AA.

Old February 5th 08, 10:15 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Grumps

"Sleepy" wrote in message
. uk...

"Grumps" wrote in message
wrote:

[...]

The 1950 is AGP and the 3850 PCIe : so not easy to swap them :-)

EA suggested forcing AA too. It made no difference.
I still have other drivers to try, but I'm losing faith in ever finding a
solution.

Old February 5th 08, 10:56 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
GT

"Grumps" wrote in message
"Sleepy" wrote in message
. uk...

"Grumps" wrote in message
wrote:

[...]

How about you get MOHA Airborn. Its newer, so probably different drivers! In
fact, don't bother. Get Red Orchestra instead - its fantastic and cheap now!

Old February 6th 08, 10:22 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Grumps

"GT" wrote in message
"Grumps" wrote in message
"Sleepy" wrote in message
. uk...

"Grumps" wrote in message
wrote:

[...]

I might try Airborn. Red Orchestra is mutliplayer only isn't it?

Old February 6th 08, 11:28 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
GT

[snip]

How about you get MOHA Airborn. Its newer, so probably different drivers!
In fact, don't bother. Get Red Orchestra instead - its fantastic and
cheap now!

I might try Airborn. Red Orchestra is mutliplayer only isn't it?

It has a practice mode, but the 'bots' are rubbish - much better online. It
doesn't take long to get the hang of it and some onliners can be quite
helpful (look out for "Major_Upset" and I'll be your wingman if you want!)

Old February 6th 08, 11:33 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Grumps

"GT" wrote in message
[snip]

How about you get MOHA Airborn. Its newer, so probably different
drivers! In fact, don't bother. Get Red Orchestra instead - its
fantastic and cheap now!

I might try Airborn. Red Orchestra is mutliplayer only isn't it?

It has a practice mode, but the 'bots' are rubbish - much better online.
It doesn't take long to get the hang of it and some onliners can be quite
helpful (look out for "Major_Upset" and I'll be your wingman if you want!)

Thanks for the info.
My online play is so rubbish, I'd have to call myself Corporal_Cadaver.

Old February 6th 08, 01:30 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
GT

"Grumps" wrote in message
"GT" wrote in message
[snip]

How about you get MOHA Airborn. Its newer, so probably different
drivers! In fact, don't bother. Get Red Orchestra instead - its
fantastic and cheap now!

I might try Airborn. Red Orchestra is mutliplayer only isn't it?

It has a practice mode, but the 'bots' are rubbish - much better online.
It doesn't take long to get the hang of it and some onliners can be quite
helpful (look out for "Major_Upset" and I'll be your wingman if you
want!)

Thanks for the info.
My online play is so rubbish, I'd have to call myself Corporal_Cadaver.

Red Orchestra (RO) is not like MOHAA online. Its leagues better. There are
all levels of humans playing and numbers are made up by computer bots, who
are varied in skill.

66.81 Borks MoHAA Friendly Guru Nvidia Videocards 2 October 26th 04 02:49 AM
Problem with MOHAA with GF MX 440 K Nvidia Videocards 8 February 23rd 04 11:46 PM
MOHAA - 9700Pro Mark Ati Videocards 14 October 24th 03 06:06 AM
Sapphire Atlantis Radeon 9600 256 MB - will freeze playing Morrowind Cool Hand Overclocking 3 October 10th 03 05:46 PM
Sapphire Atlantis Radeon 9600 256 MB - will freeze playing Morrowind Cool Hand Ati Videocards 1 October 9th 03 12:02 PM