Traveling in Europe (need good WiFi extension for Windows)

Old May 22nd 15, 09:41 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.internet.wireless,alt.comp.hardware
Ken Blake[_2_]

Default Traveling in Europe (need good WiFi extension for Windows)

On Fri, 22 May 2015 13:05:20 -0500, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

On 05/21/2015 12:12 PM, Ken Blake wrote:

[snip]

You're talking about an *electric* drill. Holes can be drilled with
manually-operated drills too, which are considerably less expensive,
and for someone who doesn't have to drill a lot of holes, they can be
adequate.

My father used to have a manual drill that looked like an eggbeater
(crank and gears).

I have three drills:

1. One like what you describe

2. A brace

3. An electric drill (I used to have two, a smaller one and a bigger
one, but the smaller one died)
Old May 22nd 15, 09:41 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.internet.wireless,alt.comp.hardware
Ken Blake[_2_]

On Fri, 22 May 2015 14:58:28 -0500, Char Jackson
wrote:

On Fri, 22 May 2015 13:10:00 -0500, Mark Lloyd wrote:

I lot of people seem to have forgotten what an "ethernet cable" is, and
insist on using wireless unnecessarily, when a cable is simpler and more
reliable.

I totally agree.

As do I.

Old May 22nd 15, 10:00 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.internet.wireless,alt.comp.hardware
Dr J R Stockton

In alt.windows7.general message 6ftrla9h325b5lhcbsu685uptu10bnld7k@4ax.
com, Thu, 21 May 2015 10:22:56, Char Jackson
posted:

On Thu, 21 May 2015 05:38:01 +0200, Steve Hayes
wrote:

On Tue, 19 May 2015 08:00:49 +0000 (UTC), Werner Obermeier
wrote:

Steve Hayes wrote in
:

It works through a wall, but, unlike drilling a hole (think of the
cost of a drill) it works in any room of the house, and in other
places where I might want to use WiFi too.

I agree. Drilling a hole would work in my own home, but not in
someone else's apartment just so that my kid could get net signal
while on a summer visit.

Especially when the drill you would have to buy to do it would
probably cost more than the extender gadget anyway.

Don't most people have a drill? Even if a person doesn't already have one or
more, they start at about $30 unless you can wait for a sale or you don't
mind shopping at Harbor Freight. Prices start at under $20 at HF, but you
can do much better if you wait for a sale. Heck, you can also buy used and
probably get down around $10.

The OP is referring to travel in Europe, so you should either quote
European prices or include the cost of transporting the drill and any
necessary adaptors.

On the other hand, many Europeans already own drills, and many more have
friends who are skilled drill users.

Indeed, I myself once purchased, at work, an item of US-built equipment
through a UK importer and then wanted an extra hole at the back of it.
On being informed, the importer immediately offered to send me, FOC,
some ready-to-install UK holes.

--
(c) John Stockton, nr London, UK. E-mail, see Home Page. Turnpike v6.05.
Website http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/ - w. FAQish topics, links, acronyms
Old May 22nd 15, 10:12 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.internet.wireless,alt.comp.hardware
OldeGuye

1. WiFi extender on the laptop (about $50)
USB dual band 2G / 5G (~$30-$50) on a long USB cable extender so you
can position/rotate for the best reception.
See:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/20905...the-limit.html

2. Extend the range of the home broadband router (probably around $50)

Replace the router with Amped R20000G ($120 amazon) high power router
or equivalent. I have this one and it is good.

Unfortunately range extenders (e.g. AP20000G) have problems! Do not
use. I tried and some of my WiFi devices will NOT connect through the
range extenders. So I had to reposition my R20000G. Remember the days
of TV rabbit ears? They're back ... lol

3. Tether the cellphone to the laptop (using the data plan)

battery drain if it works.

No signature

Old May 23rd 15, 11:00 AM posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.internet.wireless,alt.comp.hardware
Steve Hayes

On Fri, 22 May 2015 13:10:00 -0500, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

On 05/22/2015 09:38 AM, Char Jackson wrote:

[snip]

Drilling a hole wasn't my proposed solution. My proposal was to simply
string an Ethernet cable between the two balconies. It's cheap, fast, very
effective, and ugly. It's temporary, though, so the ugly part can perhaps be
forgiven.

I don't consider something ugly if it has an important function.

I lot of people seem to have forgotten what an "ethernet cable" is, and
insist on using wireless unnecessarily, when a cable is simpler and more
reliable.

I have put Ethernet cables in our ceiling that go from our router to
my study and my son's bedroom.

We both use de4sktop computers that did not come with wireless
adapters.

I also have a laptop computer (Toshiba Satellite) that does have a
wireless adapter, but but I use it in the sitting room where there is
no Ethernet cable and its WiFi connection wasw always showing weak or
no signal. When travelling, it's WiFi connections were unreliable more
that 5m in direct line of sight with no obstables from the
transmitter, so I bought a Bear Extender and can now use it in our
sitting room, and when we stayed with my wife's cousin in Windhoek,
and stayed in a cottage 20 metres from their house, and the signal had
to go through not one but three brick walls, it worked just fine.

It also worked in a guesthouse in the Okavango Delta, where the
cottage we were in was about 40 metres from the main building. I doubt
that they'd have fancied me drilling holes in the intervening walls
and stringing Ethernet cables for a two-night stay.

--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
Blog: http://khanya.wordpress.com
Old May 29th 15, 07:32 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
~misfit~[_16_]

Once upon a time on usenet Paul wrote:
J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
In message , Werner Obermeier
writes:
[]
Googling, this web site says the maximum power in the USA is 1Watt
(30 decibels) while in Europe, it's a puny 250mW (24 decibels).
http://www.afar.net/tutorials/how-far/

Just to be pedantic - that's dBmW, i. e. decibels relative to 1
milliwatt; decibels express a _ratio_. (It could also be expressed as
0 dBW and -6 dBW.)

Given that the USA allows four times the power that Europe allows,
it's probably best to set up a radio for the USA, but, we'll lose
the two channels you're speaking of as a trade off against that
power gain.

A factor of 4 (6 dB) surprisingly often isn't that significant with
radios. To the person who was wondering how we handle having the extra
two
channels when defaulting - from what I've seen, we seem not to; most
routers here still seem to default to channels 1, 6, and 11.

In principle, I see

1,6,11
2,7,12
3,8,13

as viable options. Which is why I asked.

That much channel spacing is needed, according to this article.
I wish they'd shown the skirt overlap with the final channel
choices. If they'd jammed four assignments in there, the
thruput would drop in the city (competition).

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs...de/Channel.pdf

Paul

I've been playing with my router settings. The channels available here in
New Zealand are the same as Europe (I don't know about transmit power
though). I downloaded Wifi Analyzer for my tablet and see that my best
option here would be channel 1 - it has the least traffic. (I'm on the
fringe of urban, I see around seven other routers, all set to 1, 6 or 11.)

However when I try to change to 1 when in router settings my only options
are from 5 upwards or 'auto'. For some stramge reason I can't select
anything below 4. The router is a NetComm NB604N and despite much web
searching and pdf reading I can't find a solution to my problem.

I tried setting to channel 13 but neither my tablet (Samsung Tab 3 8") or my
laptop (ThinkPad T60) could connect and it didn't show up in Wifi Analyzer.
:-/

So for now I'm staying on 11. Between 6 and 11 11 seems like the better
option. That said I might try 9. shrug

Thanks for the info in this thread. I've not bothered with wireless much as
my laptop and desktop and both tethered to gigabit ethernet and when I got
the tablet it just worked once I put in the passphrase.
--
Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM*."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

Old June 5th 15, 10:16 PM posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.internet.wireless,alt.comp.hardware
Werner Obermeier

Werner Obermeier wrote in :

What is a good wifi extender solution for Windows laptops in Europe?

Here is an update.

I bought the Ubiquiti Nanobeam M2 radio, which can extend WiFi more
than a few miles, so, it should enough power.
http://i.imgur.com/hBndic1.jpg

I didn't have any choice for countries other than the US, Canada, or PR,
so, I chose to set it up for the US:
http://i.imgur.com/CumFEI1.jpg

I'm logged in, right now, to that nanobeam radio at its default IP
address of 192.168.1.20 with the default ubnt/ubnt login/password:
http://i.imgur.com/CumFEI1.jpg

Right now, I'm stuck as to how to set up the radio so that it
rebroadcasts its Internet signal.

I just opened a new thread in alt.internet.wireless to ask for
help getting past the current setup hurdle!

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!fo...ernet.wireless
"Need help extending home wifi using Ubiquiti nanobeam M2 radio"