Widescreen video card for S3010CL

Old March 18th 07, 10:46 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Ken Wampach

Default Widescreen video card for S3010CL

My wife uses a Compaq S3010CL (Sam's Club model from 2004) for
her business work. She is interested in a 22" widescreen LCD
monitor. The native resolution on these is 1680x1050.

The onboard video is VIA-S3 which does not appear to support
1680x1050.

I would like to know if anyone is aware of a video card that can
be installed in this PC which can support that 1680x1050
resolution.
The available slots are a PCI and an AGP4x 1.5v.

This is a business machine for her newspaper. Gaming is
occasional Solitaire. It does not have a DVD unit, and she has
no interest in watching movies on it. Her application software
is 2D. She wants the larger monitor to make it easy to work on
wide spreadsheets, and give her larger graphic images to work
with in her layout software (Corel Draw 9 Suite - Don't laugh,
it gets the job done very well)

It appears that a Radeon 9550 would provide the desired
resolution, but would have issues. It is reported to run hot,
which also means it uses a fair amount of power. The supply is
only 200 watts. Is there a simple video card out there which can
provide the resolution, but won't cause a big thermal and power
load to provide gaming performance she has no need for. Before
we would upgrade the power supply, fans etc., we would get a new
PC
--
Ken Wampach - FirstNameATLastNameDOTorg

Old March 19th 07, 07:17 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Ken Wampach

Thanks for the info. Sure looks it should be OK.
Do you happen to have any personal experience with it?

Old March 19th 07, 03:39 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
HH

Ken,

With that specific card, no. But, generally speaking, I've found Radeon
cards less problematic on Compaq PCs than GeForce cards, primarily because
the better GeForce cards often require larger PC power supplies than do
Radeon cards. When I was an online tech at Compaq, we recommeded Radeons 75%
of the time as upgrades.

Old March 19th 07, 07:48 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Ken Wampach

I should have pointed out that the reason I was curious was my
concerns about heat and power supply load. Your general Radeon
experience it reassuring.
Thanks again for the help you have provided me and the
significant contributions you make to this group on a regular
basis.

Old March 20th 07, 07:32 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Stevo

You say the card doesn't appear to be able to handle that
resolution...is that becuase you cannot set it as such from the
display properties window? If that is why, your card can probably
handle that resolution, it just doesn't say so becuase the current
monitor cannot.

I hope that helps...

Stevo

Old March 21st 07, 06:15 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Ken Wampach

"Stevo" wrote in message
You say the card doesn't appear to be able to handle that
resolution...is that becuase you cannot set it as such from
the
display properties window? If that is why, your card can
probably
handle that resolution, it just doesn't say so becuase the
current
monitor cannot.

I hope that helps...

Stevo

The S3010CL motherboard has the S3 Prosavage DDR chip on it. The
Drivers in this PC are version 6.14.10.25 dated 3/2/2004
When I go to:
Display Properties
Settings
Adapter
List All Modes
I can view a long list of Graphic settings. This list includes
1600x1200 32bit 60 Hz, which would lead me to suspect that the
underlying hardware would be fast enough to handle 1680x1050,
but that resolution was not available in the list.
When I contacted Compaq support via online chat, the person was
not able to offer any way to configure the onboard adapter to
work at 1680x1050.

Are you aware of a way to get this adapter to provide 1680x1050
resolution or was your reply speculation that this adapter might
have 1680x1050 capability?
--
Ken Wampach - FirstNameATLastNameDOTorg