Upgrade from P4 1.6 to AMD 2800?

Old February 7th 04, 05:03 PM
GuitarMan

Default Upgrade from P4 1.6 to AMD 2800?

I'm considering upgrading (I think) from a P4 1.6 to an AMD 2800. My main
question is can I use my existing case and power supply that I currently use
for a P4?
TIA...

Old February 7th 04, 06:22 PM
Stacey

GuitarMan wrote:

I'm considering upgrading (I think) from a P4 1.6 to an AMD 2800. My main
question is can I use my existing case and power supply that I currently
use for a P4?
TIA...

Should work fine if the PSU is at least 300W.
--

Stacey
Old February 7th 04, 07:51 PM
Wes Newell

On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 17:03:58 +0000, GuitarMan wrote:

I'm considering upgrading (I think) from a P4 1.6 to an AMD 2800. My main
question is can I use my existing case and power supply that I currently use
for a P4?

At this point, I would say go to an Athlon 64 3000+ instead. Cost would be
less than $100 more, and it'll run circles around the 2800+ XP even in
32bit mode. It will also be a newer platform that will be upgradable to at
least a 3700+ or 4000+, and run 64bit now. It also has SSE2 like the P4,
something lacking in the XP. If you run apps that use these instrustions
it will be a lot faster. Your ATX case will work. You may need a higher
wattage PSU though. Don't know what yours is.

Old February 12th 04, 02:57 AM
rabbit

only thing I see you may need is a setbelt to hold you down as the athlon is
way faster then the P4
setback ajust your belt and enjoy the ride

Old February 17th 04, 10:39 PM
Asestar

I'm using new duron1.6GHz with 512 Pc133 sdram. This is supposed to be
celeron level cpu. Infacts it is WAY WAY faster than my friends P4 1.6 with
512mb pc2100DDR ram. It only runs a bit hotter. So enjoy the world of Amd,
where girls (eh.. cpus) are cheap, run fast and look hot!