Inspiron Laptop. Applet to Measure CPU's Temperature?

Old December 31st 10, 05:45 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Monica

Default Inspiron Laptop. Applet to Measure CPU's Temperature?

I'm getting all freaked out from reading about heat, laptops and their
batteries And I'm guessing just the nature of the beast doesn't allow
for easy access and switching parts as a desktop model does. I'm used to
getting in there and cleaning house, replacing and upgrading parts.
Frankly, I'm a bit intimidated by this new laptop. MUST keep it in tip top
shape I thought I came across an applet that measured my system's
temperature but can't find it again.
Dell Inspiron N5010, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. Does anyone know if I
actually saw this or not?

And another thing...over the years of listening to friends with laptops, it
seems that the adapter cord, where it plugs into the computer, tends to
break. Is it due to the curve in the cord and pull that might be on it or
people pulling the cord out wrong? Would wrapping with electrical tape or
using a popcicle stick as a brace and then wrapping it about 5" down the
cord help?
Monica

Old December 31st 10, 02:51 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Alan[_3_]

Try this to monitor the CPU(s),

http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

I have it on a variety of desktop and laptop machines, with 32 and 64
bit OS versions. Works fine on all of them.

--
Alan
Old December 31st 10, 08:36 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Monica

Thank you for replying Alan. I had installed the All CPU Meter gadget last
night and this Core Temp has to be installed and running for All Core to
read the temperature so I installed that last night too. Without fan
running, temps are 53+/-. With fan 43+/- Sitting on a desk. Are these
average (safe) temps?
Monica

Old January 6th 11, 03:54 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
mm

On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 23:45:30 -0600, "Monica"
wrote:

I'm getting all freaked out from reading about heat, laptops and their
batteries And I'm guessing just the nature of the beast doesn't allow
for easy access and switching parts as a desktop model does. I'm used to
getting in there and cleaning house, replacing and upgrading parts.
Frankly, I'm a bit intimidated by this new laptop. MUST keep it in tip top
shape I thought I came across an applet that measured my system's
temperature but can't find it again.
Dell Inspiron N5010, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. Does anyone know if I
actually saw this or not?

I've been using Asus-Probe, not on a Dell but on an Asus, and not on a
laptop, but I think it works on other computers too. I found it on
the web (not to be confused with Asus Probe NB), but if you don't,
I'll send you a copy.

And another thing...over the years of listening to friends with laptops, it
seems that the adapter cord, where it plugs into the computer, tends to
break. Is it due to the curve in the cord and pull that might be on it or
people pulling the cord out wrong? Would wrapping with electrical tape or
using a popcicle stick as a brace and then wrapping it about 5" down the
cord help?

Yes that would help. Wnen a plug fails, you can also cut off the
old plug** and attach a new one. It's very easy, and plugs are
available at hardware stores and their recent imitators.

Do you or someone you know have a voltmeter, a voltohmeter, or a
mulitmeter. Usually they are the same thing. You can measure
electrical continuity from each prong of the plug to each of the
copper holes at the other end, the end that goes into the brick.
Unplug the cord from the wall first, of course and the resistance for
each wire should be zero or just about. If neither is like that,
you're doing something wrong, but if one is like that and the other is
very high, or a digital meter shows a 1, then that wire is broken.

If you're not sure, cut the plug off and leave a couple inches of wire
on it, so you can reuse the plug later if it turns out to be good.

Where you cut, separate the two wire from each other going back about
1" (that's an inch, not celsius) strip the rubber off of 1/2", leaving
the copper underneath, and attach the plug by tightening the screws.
Some plugs go on without stripping the wires, but I think the cords
from computers are usually too thick to fit in to their holes.

Monica

Old January 7th 11, 07:54 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Monica

Thanks for all that helpful information
Yes, we do have a multimeter and will keep this information in case I ever
need it
Can you, or anyone, tell me what a good/safe temp would be for
a dual core, 2.53 ghz laptop while doing normal email and web browsing?
The laptop fan rarely kicks on since getting the cooling pad and the Core
Temp
is reporting temps that range from (core 0) low 40s to upper 50s and (core
1) mid 20s to mid 40s Celsius.
Is this within normal range?
Monica

Old January 8th 11, 01:06 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
mm

On Fri, 7 Jan 2011 01:54:19 -0600, "Monica"
wrote:

Thanks for all that helpful information
Yes, we do have a multimeter and will keep this information in case I ever
need it
Can you, or anyone, tell me what a good/safe temp would be for
a dual core, 2.53 ghz laptop while doing normal email and web browsing?
The laptop fan rarely kicks on since getting the cooling pad and the Core
Temp
is reporting temps that range from (core 0) low 40s to upper 50s and (core
1) mid 20s to mid 40s Celsius.
Is this within normal range?
Monica

I don't use my temp probe since the summer ended, but this might be a
quetsion better suited to a laptop ng or a hardware one

.. .