Driver issue??????

Old October 14th 10, 02:01 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
bernard8950[_12_]

Default Driver issue??????

I'm playing Crysis (single player) currently & it crashes quite often.
My System:

Asus Pro Turbo MOBO
Intel Processor E8400
ATI HD4870 1GB
PSU - 650W
4GB RAM

Video card driver is 10.8. Sometimes it runs smoothly and the frame
rates are high even though all graphics set to optimum. Running
resolution on 17" monitor at 1280 x 1024. I was wondering if it would
help if I changed it to an earlier driver, eg; 10.2. Any suggestion or
advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

--
bernard8950
Old October 15th 10, 02:43 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Chuck

On 10/14/2010 9:01 AM, bernard8950 wrote:
I'm playing Crysis (single player) currently& it crashes quite often.
My System:

Asus Pro Turbo MOBO
Intel Processor E8400
ATI HD4870 1GB
PSU - 650W
4GB RAM

Video card driver is 10.8. Sometimes it runs smoothly and the frame
rates are high even though all graphics set to optimum. Running
resolution on 17" monitor at 1280 x 1024. I was wondering if it would
help if I changed it to an earlier driver, eg; 10.2. Any suggestion or
advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Driver issue??????
Quite likely. Also Crysis was not fully debugged for DX10-11,
particularly in the latter "chapters". Running in DX9 set from the
command line or a batch file, you can force DX( mode.
Old October 16th 10, 11:25 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
bernard8950[_13_]

-
Driver issue??????
Quite likely. Also Crysis was not fully debugged for DX10-11,
particularly in the latter "chapters". Running in DX9 set from the
command line or a batch file, you can force DX( mode.

Thanks for replying Chuck. You're right about the game crashing more in
the latter part of the game. Despite updating all the drivers the
problem persisted.I read in other forums that players had similar
problems & there was one solution which I hadn't tried out; and that is,
reducing graphics to medium. I did that and it did work wonders and
crashes were rarer. So it's not a driver issue. By the way, the card
reached a temp. of 72 degree Celcius at one stage. Is that too high? I
don't think that caused the game to crash. Normal temp. is around 62
Celcius. I'm trying out other games and be interesting to see if the
same problem recurs?

--
bernard8950
Old October 16th 10, 04:24 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Chuck

On 10/16/2010 6:25 AM, bernard8950 wrote:
Chuck;911684 Wrote:
[...]

Actually, the fact that it works at lower resolutions does not eliminate
a driver issue. The reasoning behind this gets a bit involved.
Seems that it's possible (at the higher resolutions) to process
significantly more data in a shorter period of time. The higher
resolutions also use more video memory. Crashes in Crysis and other
programs usually exhibit some form of video corruption. Further, The
corruption can persist until the system is rebooted or restarted.
Additional symptoms include such things as DX dlls crashing, and even
"C" library dlls. Just to add to the spice, similar problems were
occurring in both ATI and Nvidia cards with various driver versions.

Since the problems originally occurred quite soon after Crysis was
started (In the higher resolution/performance modes), and seemed to
occur later in lower performance modes, the seemingly obvious conclusion
was that the cards were overheating. This, so far, has not proven to be
true. (It's still possible that specific areas inside the GPU are
failing due to localized overheating.) Driver crashes and auto recovery
are still occurring.

What is peculiar is that a card and driver may pass all the "stress"
tests, and functional tests, yet still fail under Crysis and other
software that stresses the video system.

I really expect to see changes in the DX dlls, the "C" dlls,
and possibly other windows dlls, along with driver changes that may help.

It's often true that the developers used video hardware that was quite
different from that in common use today. Crysis was originally developed
based upon some hardware that was still in a development status, or even
just a set of proposed standards.

I do know that Crysis was a source of a lot of video related trouble,
and further debug efforts were suspended some time ago by the developers.

Crysis Warhead was developed/debugged after Crysis, and seems to be less
prone to video problems. (There are still some) Again they seemed to
occur more often in the later parts of the game, and involve lots of
fast detailed graphics and rapid player inputs. Multicore processors may
compound the problems at the same time they allow faster response.

I have fought with Crysis and Crysis Warhead for some time.
Originally, under XP witholder video cards, then on a HP "media" laptop
with a fairly decent video system, and finally with two fairly fast win
7 systems. Each system has totally different video cards. The only
commonality is that either Nvidia or ATI video cards/GPUs are installed.
The Laptop has an Nvidia Video chipset, and the Win 7 machines use AMD
MBD chipsets with either an Nvidia 460 card or ATI 5770 cards(Crossfire).

The problems may eventually be traced back to the actual GPUs and end of
line testing that "misses" something.

The drivers can often be changed to work around such problems, and this
cycle of events has occurred in previous GPUs.
Old October 20th 10, 06:48 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
bernard8950[_14_]

Chuck;911684 Wrote:-
[...]

I can see this is not a straightforward issue to sort out. Anyway, I'm
replaying the game on medium and let's see if I'm going to experience
the crashes I had experienced while the graphics were set high. Watch
this space.

--
bernard8950
Old October 24th 10, 06:09 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Chuck

Chuck;911684 Wrote:-
[...]

Something I forgot to mention--
In the latter parts of Crysis & Crysis Warhead, quite a bit of mouse
movement and button action is required. On my systems, the most prone to
crash times involve rapid display updating due to game play, and rapid
mouse movement with "fire" button use. The Mice & Trackballs I use are
the USB types both with just the Microsoft drivers, and sometimes with
Logitech drivers. Normally, I like to standardize on just the MS drivers.

Some have suggested that taking a four core processor down to two cores
can help. I haven't bothered to try this.
Old October 26th 10, 05:54 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Chuck

Chuck;911684 Wrote:-
[...]

The 10.10 driver seems to be a little bit better in some ways. Driver
bailouts seem to be more graceful, and so far return you to where you
were in the game. But, not completely eliminated, and the driver seems
by test to be fractionally slower. (At least in Crossfire mode)

Old October 27th 10, 01:02 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
bernard8950[_15_]

bernard8950;912005 Wrote:
I can see this is not a straightforward issue to sort out. Anyway, I'm
replaying the game on medium and let's see if I'm going to experience
the crashes I had experienced while the graphics were set high. Watch
this space.

The game started nicely but I'm afraid to say that it kept crashing at
the latter part no matter what graphics resolution was set. It even
crashed when I was a few minutes into the game. Temp. running at 72 C
during the game.

--
bernard8950
Old November 2nd 10, 02:28 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Chuck

On 10/27/2010 8:02 AM, bernard8950 wrote:
bernard8950;912005 Wrote:
I can see this is not a straightforward issue to sort out. Anyway, I'm
replaying the game on medium and let's see if I'm going to experience
the crashes I had experienced while the graphics were set high. Watch
this space.

The game started nicely but I'm afraid to say that it kept crashing at
the latter part no matter what graphics resolution was set. It even
crashed when I was a few minutes into the game. Temp. running at 72 C
during the game.

Perhaps you once had an Nvidia card installed?

Anyway, One of the things I tried was to bring the system up using the
MS VGA/SVGA driver only. This allowed me to make sure that no ATI or
Nvidia drivers were active. Earlier version CCC and other AMD software
was uninstalled.
The registry was checked for left over entries and any obvious ATI and
Nvidia video card related entries were eliminated. (I did save sections
so that they might be restored if necessary.)
There may have been some left over from the earlier ATI drivers included
in Win 7, which installed automatically.
Any ATI startup entries were removed.
In my case my win 7 32b system was first used with an older Nvidia card
I had around until an HD4890 was installed. The card had many of the
problems you mentioned. Switching to an HD 5770 was a slight
improvement, but still no cigar. Finally, after a series of driver
updates, things calmed down quite a bit. Still not flawless. Crysis
Warhead will still occasionally crash to the menu. However, Resume game
gets me back to the game, instead of a hard crash to desktop or worse.

Old November 2nd 10, 06:59 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Ant

I have the same problem in my XP Pro. SP3 box with the same video card
but 512 MB and older drivers (v9.x). I think Crysis is just super buggy.
Before that, my NVIDIA GeForce 7950 GT KO (512 MB of RAM) was stable but
slow with an AMD Athlon 64 X2 system.

bernard8950 wrote:

I'm playing Crysis (single player) currently & it crashes quite often.
My System:

Asus Pro Turbo MOBO
Intel Processor E8400
ATI HD4870 1GB
PSU - 650W
4GB RAM

Video card driver is 10.8. Sometimes it runs smoothly and the frame
rates are high even though all graphics set to optimum. Running
resolution on 17" monitor at 1280 x 1024. I was wondering if it would
help if I changed it to an earlier driver, eg; 10.2. Any suggestion or
advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

--
Quote of the Week: "The antics begin!" --SimAnt Game
/\___/\ Ant @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)