What should I install where?

Old June 27th 04, 05:30 AM
Chris

Default What should I install where?

I am going to be buying a Western Digital Raptor 36 gig 10000 rpm 8meg cache
SATA hardrive for the sole purpose of having my PC games load faster and run
smoother. The only question i have is would it be better to install my OS on
this hardrive and have my games on my 120 gig IDE slower hardrive. Or would
it be better to have my OS on my 120 gig and use the WD fast hardrive ONLY
for games. Remember that I just want betetr quality in games. So im guessing
installing all the games on my new one is the best choice. Im looking for
opinions thnx

Old June 27th 04, 06:29 AM
Gary Mount

You might be better off if you can configure a RAID level 0 implementation.
Your games and OS can read from two drives at the same time.
Here is some info I found on the Internet about Raid 0:

RAID 0 implements a striped disk array, the data is broken down into blocks
and each block is written to a separate disk drive

I/O performance is greatly improved by spreading the I/O load across many
channels and drives

Best performance is achieved when data is striped across multiple
controllers with only one drive per controller

rs.com...

Old June 27th 04, 10:02 AM
Gareth Jones

In message om, Chris
writes
I am going to be buying a Western Digital Raptor 36 gig 10000 rpm 8meg cache
SATA hardrive for the sole purpose of having my PC games load faster and run
smoother.

What games are you talking about?

Most rely on CPU and GPU performance alone when running. Initial loading
will be faster but would you see much difference
going from scene to scene?? Not sure. (I'd probably want the few
milliseconds rest anyway ;-)

followed by 'uk2' followed by a dot
followed by 'net'

Can't install Nero 6 James Cdr 1 September 13th 04 11:22 PM
First Build Computer - Need Checklists and Other Tracking Documents Rob Homebuilt PC's 5 July 25th 04 12:03 AM
Fedora Core 2 install dies NBK Asus Motherboards 6 May 24th 04 03:07 AM
Windows XP Pro Full Install Help DV8 Homebuilt PC's 6 February 29th 04 04:08 PM
Install Problems with an Adaptec 2400a RAID Controller! Starz_Kid General 1 June 24th 03 03:44 AM