Is This a Motherboard Problem???

Old June 6th 07, 09:30 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
FKS

Default Is This a Motherboard Problem???

I've been having a weird rebooting problem in my 2nd PC running XP SP2. It
is a P4 2.8GHz system based on an Intel 865PERL board housed in an Antec
Sonata II case.
When I click "turn off", it reboots.

Here's a list of things that I've done so far to trouble-shoot. **None of
them fixed the rebooting problem.**

-Uncheck "auto restart at system failure." I looked at all log files and
couldn't find any crash.
-It reboots even in the safe mode. So, I doubt it's a software problem.
-Did everything stated in a web site about fixing XP shut down problems.
-Replaced the power switch & reset switch in the Antec case.
-Replaced a stock Antec PSU with a Zalman 460W. I also tried an Enermax
550W.
-Uninstalled the Audigy sound card software, removed the card.
-Disconnected DVD drives. Disconnected 2nd & 3rd hdd's.
-Examined BIOS to see if something there triggers rebooting. None found.
Updated BIOS.
-Tried a different power cord and power outlet.
-unplugged all usb devices.
-disabled LAN

The PC is ultra stable when it's on. But, somehow, it seems that the
motherboard just doesn't shut the system down. So, is it possible that a bad
motherboard component is causing the problem???

Old June 6th 07, 09:32 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
meerkat[_2_]

"FKS" wrote in message ...
I've been having a weird rebooting problem in my 2nd PC running XP SP2. It
is a P4 2.8GHz system based on an Intel 865PERL board housed in an Antec
Sonata II case.
When I click "turn off", it reboots.

Check in the BIOS for Wake on LAN, and anything else.

Old June 7th 07, 10:21 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Compfix

"FKS" wrote in message ...
[...]

I have a similar set up but with a 3.0Ghz Northwood CPU and get this
happening sometimes. It seems to occur when the small room it is in gets
hot. It could also be a software issue as it stopped doing it when I had to
do a clean reinstall.

Old June 10th 07, 01:37 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Franc Zabkar

On Wed, 6 Jun 2007 16:30:33 -0400, "FKS" put finger to
keyboard and composed:

[...]

Is there a BIOS setting for "wake on keyboard" or something like that?
FWIW I have an MS PS2 wireless keyboard that wakes up my machine
within 1 second of putting it to sleep.

- Franc Zabkar

CPU or Motherboard problem? Or both? ekdysiast Homebuilt PC's 4 March 5th 07 11:47 PM
ATX MOTHERBOARD PROBLEM manueldap Homebuilt PC's 0 March 31st 05 12:22 AM
motherboard problem JJK General 2 March 30th 05 03:56 PM
Old motherboard problem RJW Craggs Homebuilt PC's 4 September 1st 04 02:29 AM
Can anybody help with this? A motherboard problem, a memory problem or what eddwnn Asus Motherboards 3 July 18th 03 05:44 PM