Unable to boot CD-ROM

Old September 20th 03, 06:38 PM
David Kistner

Default Unable to boot CD-ROM

I had a hard drive fail and when I replaced it and tried to boot into a
Windows XP CD-ROM to install Windows the machine stalls. I get the
message "Searching for Boot Record from CDROM.." and that's when the
machine stalls.

My bios has CD-ROM as the primary boot device. My bios recognizes my
CD-ROM. I swapped out the CD-ROM with another one, but same result. I
had a new IDE cable around and swapped it into the machine, but that
didn't help. Could it be my motherboard? I can't think of what else to
try.

TIA,
- Dave Kistner

Old September 20th 03, 06:50 PM
spodosaurus

David Kistner wrote:
I had a hard drive fail and when I replaced it and tried to boot into a
Windows XP CD-ROM to install Windows the machine stalls. I get the
message "Searching for Boot Record from CDROM.." and that's when the
machine stalls.

My bios has CD-ROM as the primary boot device. My bios recognizes my
CD-ROM. I swapped out the CD-ROM with another one, but same result. I
had a new IDE cable around and swapped it into the machine, but that
didn't help. Could it be my motherboard? I can't think of what else to
try.

TIA,
- Dave Kistner

What's your IDE configuration? HDD and CDROM on the same ribbon? On
different ribbons? Triple check the jumpers!

Ari

--

Are you registered as a bone marrow donor? You regenerate what you
donate. You are offered the chance to donate only if you match a person

spam trap: replace shyah_right! with hotmail when replying

Old September 20th 03, 07:03 PM
David Kistner

spodosaurus wrote:

David Kistner wrote:

I had a hard drive fail and when I replaced it and tried to boot into
a Windows XP CD-ROM to install Windows the machine stalls. I get the
message "Searching for Boot Record from CDROM.." and that's when the
machine stalls.

My bios has CD-ROM as the primary boot device. My bios recognizes my
CD-ROM. I swapped out the CD-ROM with another one, but same result.
I had a new IDE cable around and swapped it into the machine, but that
didn't help. Could it be my motherboard? I can't think of what else
to try.

TIA,
- Dave Kistner

What's your IDE configuration? HDD and CDROM on the same ribbon? On
different ribbons? Triple check the jumpers!

Ari

The IDE-1 has a two hard drives jumpered master/slave. IDE-2 has a CDRW
as Master and a DVD drive as slave. The bios recognizes everything
properly also. I just pulled both ROM's and checked the jumpers and
they're correct. I'm stumped.

- Dave Kistner

Old September 20th 03, 07:46 PM
Bishoop

"David Kistner" wrote in message
| spodosaurus wrote:
|
| David Kistner wrote:
|
| I had a hard drive fail and when I replaced it and tried to boot into
| a Windows XP CD-ROM to install Windows the machine stalls. I get the
| message "Searching for Boot Record from CDROM.." and that's when the
| machine stalls.
|
| My bios has CD-ROM as the primary boot device. My bios recognizes my
| CD-ROM. I swapped out the CD-ROM with another one, but same result.
| I had a new IDE cable around and swapped it into the machine, but that
| didn't help. Could it be my motherboard? I can't think of what else
| to try.
|
| TIA,
| - Dave Kistner
|

| What's your IDE configuration? HDD and CDROM on the same ribbon? On
| different ribbons? Triple check the jumpers!
|
| Ari
|
| The IDE-1 has a two hard drives jumpered master/slave. IDE-2 has a CDRW
| as Master and a DVD drive as slave. The bios recognizes everything
| properly also. I just pulled both ROM's and checked the jumpers and
| they're correct. I'm stumped.
|
| - Dave Kistner

Do you have another bootable CD to try?

Old September 20th 03, 07:54 PM
Groove

Bishoop said this...
Do you have another bootable CD to try?

Also, I'd try temporarily unplugging the slaves on both channels. Just in
case there's some conflict there.

--
º~ dªv¡d ~º
Old September 20th 03, 08:55 PM
David Kistner

Bishoop wrote:
"David Kistner" wrote in message
| spodosaurus wrote:
|
| David Kistner wrote:
|
| I had a hard drive fail and when I replaced it and tried to boot into
| a Windows XP CD-ROM to install Windows the machine stalls. I get the
| message "Searching for Boot Record from CDROM.." and that's when the
| machine stalls.
|
| My bios has CD-ROM as the primary boot device. My bios recognizes my
| CD-ROM. I swapped out the CD-ROM with another one, but same result.
| I had a new IDE cable around and swapped it into the machine, but that
| didn't help. Could it be my motherboard? I can't think of what else
| to try.
|
| TIA,
| - Dave Kistner
|

| What's your IDE configuration? HDD and CDROM on the same ribbon? On
| different ribbons? Triple check the jumpers!
|
| Ari
|
| The IDE-1 has a two hard drives jumpered master/slave. IDE-2 has a CDRW
| as Master and a DVD drive as slave. The bios recognizes everything
| properly also. I just pulled both ROM's and checked the jumpers and
| they're correct. I'm stumped.
|
| - Dave Kistner

Do you have another bootable CD to try?

I tried another bootable CD. A Windows 98 CD. Same failure.

Old September 20th 03, 08:56 PM
David Kistner

Groove wrote:

Bishoop said this...

Do you have another bootable CD to try?

Also, I'd try temporarily unplugging the slaves on both channels. Just in
case there's some conflict there.

I tried that and still no luck.

Old September 20th 03, 10:48 PM
Jan Alter

I had the problem of not being able to boot from the CD-ROM with the Abit
KT7 that I use with the bios that came with it 3 years ago. Even though it
was supposed to be able to start an OS from the CD-ROM it wouldn't. However,
when I flashed it with the latest bios happiness followed.
So, check to see if you have the latest bios for your mb and if not give
it a flash. You may be just as surprised as I was.

--
Jan Alter

Old September 20th 03, 11:45 PM
DaveW

It sounds like the IDE controller on your motherboard may have failed. That
would explain why the harddrive and the CD-ROM didn't work.

--
DaveW

Old September 21st 03, 03:29 AM
AMD'r

just a thought but try to boot from a floppy with cd drivers and install XP
from there...

AMD'r

Can't boot from CD Zotin Khuma General 6 November 16th 04 10:18 PM
Boot problem with Promise SATA Fasttrack S150TX2 Plus Wizard General 0 September 13th 04 06:54 PM
Unable to boot off SATA drive in new AK86-L config Gordon Brown Overclocking AMD Processors 1 March 13th 04 09:25 AM
Hard drive will not boot Dave General 1 March 9th 04 06:16 PM
Hard drive that boots elsewhere refuses to boot in this machine Simon O'Connor General 9 July 22nd 03 06:34 AM