Dial up modem problem

Old August 10th 03, 07:47 PM
JAD

Default Dial up modem problem

The fault appeared after a lightning storm
though no other faults have appeared. I do wonder if this is purely
coincidence!!
modem is done most likely, the only other thing that come to mind.....turn
off call waiting (*70)

And 1 or 2 crossposts would be acceptable not 5, if only to keep the rifraf
out of this NG.

"Matty" wrote in message
Hi All

My friends PC is failing to connect to the internet through her dial up
modem. It dials but then all we hear is the repetitive beeps as for an
engaged tone (beep beep beep beep etc etc).

I have tried a new dial up connection, tried to connect through the

windows
connection set-up and through hyper terminal.. all with the same result. I
have uninstalled and reinstalled the modem, loading the drivers from the

cd,
even tried a different slot, all with the same result.

A phone works on the same wall port with no problem. I have swapped leads
from pc to wall port with same result.

I am assuming its the modem unserviceable and will swap it later today,

but
am looking for some advice. The fault appeared after a lightning storm
though no other faults have appeared. I do wonder if this is purely
coincidence!!

For info the system is based on a Duron 1.1Ghz, running Windows XP Home.

The
modem is a Creative Blaster V92 DI5732 (which I believe is the softmodem).

Many thanks in advance

Matty

DIAL UP / MODEM / PORT PROBLEM David General 16 December 22nd 04 09:53 PM
modem problem kjservices General 4 November 24th 04 01:02 AM
modem problem minerva nine General 9 May 27th 04 08:11 AM
Modem - dial tone broken up, but voice ok Zardoz General 1 January 5th 04 02:06 AM
Dial up modem problem Richard Freeman General 21 September 22nd 03 05:50 AM