troublehsooting defective DC jack, Inspiron 4150

Old April 21st 06, 09:32 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Default troublehsooting defective DC jack, Inspiron 4150

Greetings,
Before finding a used mobo ($900 new from Dell!!!), I thought I
might try repairing the issue myself. I am fairly handy with a
multitester, and soldering iron (though not so much so with PCB's).

The unit in question apparently was damaged when the family dog chewed
through the AC adapter cable. The laptop no longer recognizes that
the adapter is plugged in nor does the battery charge. However, the
laptop functions fine when connected to a docking station, and the
battery charges. The DC jack appears to be physically attached
properly to the mobo, so I believe that a something in the circuitry
from the jack was shorted.

Any suggestions to go about troubleshooting this issue, or links to
sites with more detailed information?

Regards,

Gary

Old April 21st 06, 09:45 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

In article , teamgs
says...
Greetings,
Before finding a used mobo ($900 new from Dell!!!), I thought I
might try repairing the issue myself. I am fairly handy with a
multitester, and soldering iron (though not so much so with PCB's).

The unit in question apparently was damaged when the family dog chewed
through the AC adapter cable. The laptop no longer recognizes that
the adapter is plugged in nor does the battery charge. However, the
laptop functions fine when connected to a docking station, and the
battery charges. The DC jack appears to be physically attached
properly to the mobo, so I believe that a something in the circuitry
from the jack was shorted.

Any suggestions to go about troubleshooting this issue, or links to
sites with more detailed information?

First port of call is any diode in line with the +ve track from the DC
jack.

--
Conor,

Same ****, different day.

Old April 24th 06, 04:32 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Thanks for the reply Conner.

I assume that you mean check the voltage on the back end of the jack
with the adapter plugged in? I will give that a shot tonight. I
will also check the output of the adapter, even though it is
supposedly a brand new unit, I don't know if the user did anything to
it.

Regards,

Gary