About that artic silver stuff...

Old April 20th 06, 07:00 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Default About that artic silver stuff...

I was reading about various high performance thermal pastes
and I started to wonder what AMD and Intel use to make the
thermal connection between their CPU cores and their metal
heat spreaders the cpu's all come with now.

Seems like I've never seen any explanation of how they do it
in any of the reviews.

Just wondering if they use artic silver or some epoxy
thermal glue or a thermal pad or what ?

Anyone ever take the heat spreader off or measure the temp
difference with a mobile cpu that doesn't have the heat
spreader ?

Old April 20th 06, 11:31 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Click on this link-:
http://www.howtofixcomputers.com/bb/ftopic170775.html

If you look at a flat 'ally' or copper surface under a microscope
it'll look like the moon...."Ok, ok, it ain't
round and it don't have phases" Imagine if it was
flat though.

If you place another flat surface to this where the craters are there
will be no contact, has our old skool mastur used to say "Dya
dig"..? well this is gonna create less contact area thus
increasing it's thermal resistance.

So what do we do, we fill all the craters with good ol' Arctic Silver
or what have you, this stuff being amongst the best.

We're not greasing a lorries gear box, we just want a very thin smear,
if you put it on too thick it's gonna do more harm than good.

Filling those craters is all that is required...."ain't nothing
magical about it, apart from it being just good stuff", you only
need tiny bit cos, "it spreads like the clappers believe
me".

Davy

Old April 21st 06, 01:09 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

"Charlie Wilkes" wrote in message
On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 23:00:42 -0700, wrote:

I was reading about various high performance thermal pastes
and I started to wonder what AMD and Intel use to make the
thermal connection between their CPU cores and their metal
heat spreaders the cpu's all come with now.

Seems like I've never seen any explanation of how they do it
in any of the reviews.

Just wondering if they use artic silver or some epoxy
thermal glue or a thermal pad or what ?

Anyone ever take the heat spreader off or measure the temp
difference with a mobile cpu that doesn't have the heat
spreader ?

My Athlon 64 came with a pad attached to the heat sink, so all I had
to do was clamp it to the CPU. It melted in place to form a thermal
bond.

My temperatures were ok, but after awhile I got curious, so I removed
the CPU and heat sink and cleaned them carefully with alcohol wipes.
Then I applied Arctic Silver and put it back together. It lowered the
temp of my CPU by 5 degrees celcius.

I've got a pair of CoolerMaster 3D Cooler Pro's coming tomorrow to complete
the new PCs - and they come with their own tube of silver-based thermal
paste. Is all of it pretty much the same? Not as the adhesive pads of
course... but... Thx.

--
Stephen Goodman

* Cartoons about DVDs and Stuff
*
http://www.earthlight.net/HiddenTrack
* The Loop Of The Week since 1996!
* http://www.earthlight.net/Studios

Old April 21st 06, 07:13 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 01:09:01 +0100, "SP Goodman"
wrote:

I've got a pair of CoolerMaster 3D Cooler Pro's coming tomorrow to complete
the new PCs - and they come with their own tube of silver-based thermal
paste. Is all of it pretty much the same? Not as the adhesive pads of
course... but... Thx.

I honestly don't know, but I would guess they supply the best thermal
compound available. It makes little difference in their production
cost, but significant difference in how well the product performs.

Charlie
Old April 21st 06, 11:31 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Arctic silver or any similar good stuff is far far better than the
thermal pads ...simply because they don't spread the same and fill
the craters.

You'll find the CPU temp. rises a few degress when using pads compared
to than say Arctic Silver.

But do stay away from that white compound you see in TV's etc, this
stuff hardens, dries and can become less effective.

Davy

Old April 22nd 06, 07:31 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

....and Oh, don't be tempted to use the thermal pad and thermal paste
together... another reason the goo's better is because the pads are
thicker than you can squash the goo..

Davy