Keep seeing a recurring error event 11 in Windows 7

Old December 5th 11, 06:08 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.windows7.general
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

Default Keep seeing a recurring error event 11 in Windows 7

I keep seeing the following error code popping up randomly but
frequently in my Event Viewer (ATAPI, Event ID 11):

"The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort2."

Now, IdePort2 is one of my two DVD burners, and it's got nothing inside
it, and I'm not even accessing it most of the time. Now when I do use
that DVD drive (either for reading or writing), I don't see any errors
and everything works normally with it. Any idea what to make of this?

Yousuf Khan
Old December 5th 11, 07:17 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.windows7.general
Arno[_3_]

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Yousuf Khan wrote:
I keep seeing the following error code popping up randomly but
frequently in my Event Viewer (ATAPI, Event ID 11):

"The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort2."

Now, IdePort2 is one of my two DVD burners, and it's got nothing inside
it, and I'm not even accessing it most of the time. Now when I do use
that DVD drive (either for reading or writing), I don't see any errors
and everything works normally with it. Any idea what to make of this?

Yousuf Khan

It says "controller error". The controller is on your mainboard.
Maybe some polling routine loses the occasional interrupt
or something like that.

Arno

--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email:
----
Old December 6th 11, 05:45 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.windows7.general
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

On 05/12/2011 2:17 PM, Arno wrote:
In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Yousuf wrote:
I keep seeing the following error code popping up randomly but
frequently in my Event Viewer (ATAPI, Event ID 11):

"The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort2."

Now, IdePort2 is one of my two DVD burners, and it's got nothing inside
it, and I'm not even accessing it most of the time. Now when I do use
that DVD drive (either for reading or writing), I don't see any errors
and everything works normally with it. Any idea what to make of this?

Yousuf Khan

It says "controller error". The controller is on your mainboard.
Maybe some polling routine loses the occasional interrupt
or something like that.

That's what I was thinking too. Just wanted to confirm with others here.

Yousuf Khan
Old December 6th 11, 06:52 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.windows7.general
charlie

wrote:
I keep seeing the following error code popping up randomly but
frequently in my Event Viewer (ATAPI, Event ID 11):

"The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort2."

Now, IdePort2 is one of my two DVD burners, and it's got nothing inside
it, and I'm not even accessing it most of the time. Now when I do use
that DVD drive (either for reading or writing), I don't see any errors
and everything works normally with it. Any idea what to make of this?

Yousuf Khan

It says "controller error". The controller is on your mainboard.
Maybe some polling routine loses the occasional interrupt
or something like that.

That's what I was thinking too. Just wanted to confirm with others here.

Yousuf Khan

Check for a DVD drive firmware update. At least that seemed to cure a
similar event 11 problem that I had last year. (as did replacing the DVD
drive with a different model) ???
Old December 7th 11, 12:45 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.windows7.general
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

On 06/12/2011 1:52 PM, charlie wrote:
Check for a DVD drive firmware update. At least that seemed to cure a
similar event 11 problem that I had last year. (as did replacing the DVD
drive with a different model) ???

Wasn't even aware that this was possible.

Yousuf Khan

ATIeRecord EEU Error Event in Windows 7? Yousuf Khan[_2_] General 6 December 25th 10 07:58 PM
event log error MZB Dell Computers 3 April 27th 10 03:40 AM
Event ID 51 error J Lunis General 1 December 11th 06 08:11 PM
Disk error in Windows event log with GA-6VX7-4X motherboard Gilles Vollant Gigabyte Motherboards 3 July 26th 06 02:51 PM
Gigabyte GA-8I945P Pro, ITE 8212F latest driver and strange error in Windows XP event log Gilles Vollant Gigabyte Motherboards 4 July 17th 05 11:07 AM