new hard drive and partitions.

Old May 28th 04, 03:45 PM
MajBach1

Default new hard drive and partitions.

Hi all. I have installed another hard drive to my system; it is on the
secondary IDE as a slave- because of the ribbon cable positions. Anyway,
both my main HD and this new hard drive have 3 partitions each; 1 primary
partition and an extended with two logical devices on each - total of six.
Problem is, windows now makes the primary partition of the second drive my D
drive. In other words, before the new drive i had C:, D: and E:.
I now have C D E F G H, BUT the D drive is from the secondary drive, while E
and F are from my primary drive (what used to be labeled D and E). You can
see that the problem is, anything I had installed on my original D and E
partitions are now a different path. IS there a way to correct this without
re-installing the programs or reassigning the paths? Ideally, I would like
to keep C D E for my primary hard drive and the other letters for my
secondary.
Thanks a million in advance.

Old May 28th 04, 05:17 PM
CBFalconer

MajBach1 wrote:

Hi all. I have installed another hard drive to my system; it is
on the secondary IDE as a slave- because of the ribbon cable
positions. Anyway, both my main HD and this new hard drive have
3 partitions each; 1 primary partition and an extended with two
logical devices on each - total of six. Problem is, windows now
makes the primary partition of the second drive my D drive. In

.... snip ...
IS there a way to correct this without re-installing the programs
or reassigning the paths? Ideally, I would like to keep C D E for
my primary hard drive and the other letters for my secondary.

Install the new drive with NO primary partition, only extended.

--
fix (vb.): 1. to paper over, obscure, hide from public view; 2.
to work around, in a way that produces unintended consequences

Old May 29th 04, 01:11 AM
~misfit~

MajBach1 wrote:
[...]

That's why I make all partitions primary, they always get the drive letters
first. Why mess around with extended and logical????

You don't mention your operating system which is a pain. With XP you can
change the drive letters for all but C:\ drive manually. However, I won't go
into detail as I don't know if you're running XP.
--
~misfit~

---

Old May 29th 04, 06:36 AM
VWWall

Trent© wrote:
On Fri, 28 May 2004 10:45:08 -0400, "MajBach1"
wrote:

[...]

Do as Falconer said. Spot on!

Its also a good idea to re-letter your optical drives. Make any
reader R...any writer W.

When you start in DOS, they'll become either R & S or W & X.

Virg Wall
--
A foolish consistency is the
hobgoblin of little minds,........
Old May 30th 04, 06:02 AM
DaveinOlyWa

the drive has to have a primary partition.

and as one said, you could relabel the drives to anything you want in
XP. but there is nothing you can do in Win 98 other then manually
editing your shortcuts and ini files.

==============
Old May 30th 04, 07:30 AM
Stacey

Trent© wrote:

Depends. Mine are usually down lower...depending on the other
partitions...usually E, F, etc. Often times, they're not even
recognized.

If you don't load drivers for them, no they won't be recognized...

LOL as you always say!

--

Stacey
Old May 30th 04, 10:09 AM
CBFalconer

DaveinOlyWa wrote:

the drive has to have a primary partition.

But that partition does not have to hold any file system
recognizable to Windoze.

--
A: Because it fouls the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old May 30th 04, 02:18 PM
kony

On Sun, 30 May 2004 09:09:15 GMT, CBFalconer wrote:

DaveinOlyWa wrote:

the drive has to have a primary partition.

But that partition does not have to hold any file system
recognizable to Windoze.

The drive does not have to have a primary partition.
If it did, not formatting it or using foreign format may not prevent
windows from seeing the partition itself and still "bumping" drive
letters.

There are freeware utilities out there to create the extended-only
partition, or for pay the most popular for a windows box might be
Partitionmagic.
Old June 1st 04, 04:30 AM
talon

"DaveinOlyWa" wrote in message
the drive has to have a primary partition.

and as one said, you could relabel the drives to anything you want in
XP. but there is nothing you can do in Win 98 other then manually
editing your shortcuts and ini files.

How about the old DOS SUB command in your autoexec.bat?

TALON §