Changed Mind - Bought Canon 4200 for Wife

Old December 2nd 05, 04:33 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers

Default Changed Mind - Bought Canon 4200 for Wife

I had decided to buy an HP printer for my "infrequent color
printing" wife based on the print head being included in the
cartrige (clogged head = new cartridge = problem solved)

Then, the more I thought about the idea/cost of replacing an
entire 3 color cartridge when one color runs out, I took a
longer look at the Canon brand (since it was mentioned as one
that "resists" head clogging even if not used every day)

So... I bought a Canon 4200 last night... wife very much
likes the print quality, and the separate ink tanks should be
less costly over time -vs- 3-in-1 cartridges

Once the printer is past warranty, I'll look into buying bulk
ink and refilling the tanks myself (and since I've made my 1st
killfile entry of "mr m the SHOUTER" he need not even bother
to reply, 'cause I won't see his "auto-deleted" message)

Thanks for all the help/ideas... Wife is happy with her new
printer, and that means that **I** am happy!

John Thomas Smith
http://www.direct2usales.com
http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith
Old December 2nd 05, 06:44 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers

John Thomas Smith wrote:

I had decided to buy an HP printer for my "infrequent color
printing" wife based on the print head being included in the
cartrige (clogged head = new cartridge = problem solved)

THAT IS A GOOD CHOICE.

Then, the more I thought about the idea/cost of replacing an
entire 3 color cartridge when one color runs out, I took a
longer look at the Canon brand (since it was mentioned as one
that "resists" head clogging even if not used every day)

So... I bought a Canon 4200 last night... wife very much
likes the print quality, and the separate ink tanks should be
less costly over time -vs- 3-in-1 cartridges

WHILE THAT IS CORRECT YOU WILL FIND (WITH BALANCED PRINTING) THAT WHEN
ONE OF THE TRICOLORS GOES OUT THE REMAINING COLORS ARE VERY LOW. SINCE
THE PRINTER IS USED INFREQUENTLY THE HP PROVIDES THE LOWEST RISK WHILE
THE EXTRA COST IS NOT HIGH. SORT OF LIKE INSURANCE.

Once the printer is past warranty, I'll look into buying bulk
ink and refilling the tanks myself

WHAT A MISTAKE. NOW YOU WILL HAVE THAT DESERVING CLOG YOU ARE AFRAID OF.

Old December 2nd 05, 07:10 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers

John Thomas Smith wrote:

[...]

Good idea. Let the dumb ******* talk to himself! :-)
Frank
Old December 2nd 05, 07:46 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers

Once the printer is past warranty, I'll look into
buying bulk ink and refilling the tanks myself (and since I've made my 1st killfile entry of "mr m the
SHOUTER" he need not even bother
to reply, 'cause I won't see his "auto-deleted"
message)

You can look into it before the warranty... after all use of third
party inks don't void the printer's warranty... and even so we are
talking about a part who's value, while high, is less than buying a
complete set of OEM ink twice. But if the OEM ink makes you happy more
power to you.

So... I bought a Canon 4200 last night... wife
very much likes the print quality, and the
separate ink tanks should be less costly over
time -vs- 3-in-1 cartridges

HP has printers that take 6 tanks... so 3 in 1 isn't your only choice.
And the cost for the new HPs ink doesn't cost all that more than canon
according to their published yields. The volume is less but they are a
tad less wasteful. And going OEM ink it's hard for me to say if the 3
in 1 actually costs more. You'd think it would because you are almost
always tossing excess ink when one color runs dry but at the end game
the thing that matters is how many pages you actually print to the cost
of the tanks.

Old December 2nd 05, 08:03 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers

"zakezuke" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

A little discussed issue about separate ink tanks - when you permit a Canon
cart (and other printer mfgrs, I believe) to run down to the "low ink" or
"out of ink" state and replace that cart the printer does a head cleaning
procedure that takes ink from all the carts, including the new one you just
installed. When we refill the carts before the "low ink" signal comes up
the printer doesn't run a cleaning when the cart is replaced. Most of us
"refillers" refill when the reservoir is about 3/4 empty. I would echo
Zakezuke's post that if it were me I would start with refilling and put the
OEM carts aside (as I did with my new ip5000 printer last week.) Of course,
that is up to you. If you decide to do that, be sure to seal the outlet
port and the air vent on the OEM carts or any others that you store.

Old December 2nd 05, 08:37 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers

[...]

Both good comments... and I may re-think doing my own tank filling
after I do some more reading and look into what is available

Speaking of what is available... I noticed recently that my local
Costco store now has ink refill kits for sale, so next time I go I
will write down the brand and post it here to see if anyone has a
comment (as if a newsgroup would EVER be without comments!)

Old December 2nd 05, 10:04 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers

John Thomas Smith wrote:

[...]

OH MY GOD. THAT IS TOTALLY ABSURD

(as I did with my new ip5000 printer last week.) Of course,
that is up to you. If you decide to do that, be sure to seal the outlet
port and the air vent on the OEM carts or any others that you store.

Both good comments... and I may re-think doing my own tank filling
after I do some more reading and look into what is available

YOU CERTAINLY SHOULD

Speaking of what is available... I noticed recently that my local
Costco store now has ink refill kits for sale,

HA HA HA GO BUY THEM AND HAPPY CLOGGING

so next time I go I
will write down the brand

THERE IS NOT BRAND

Old December 2nd 05, 10:34 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers

(snip)

[...]

John - Absolutely do not use any refill ink or kit that claims to be
universal for several brands/models of printers. That is probably the IMS
kit about which I've read mixed reviews, most negative. If you want to
refill, there are three vendors that have been mentioned positively on this
NG and on the Nifty-Stuff Forum - MIS, Formulabs, and Hobbicolors. I
haven't seen any aftermarket carts yet, either prefilled or empty, to work
in the ip4200. This generation of Canon printers now has a chip on the cart
that is ostensibly for monitoring remaining ink in the cart. After looking
at the new cart I would expect that the bci-6 and bci-3 carts can't be
inserted into the print head.

I understand that at least one aftermarket vendor now has new inks for the
latest Canon printers, and I would guess that carts, both empty and
prefilled, will soon be available. Worst case - with new non-OEM inks
available you will have to just refill OEM carts, and if you want to have a
spare set you will have to buy another set of OEM carts as backup and later
as a stored refilled set. I don't know how the chipped cartridges will work
for refilling. Some Epsons have chipped carts and vendors sell a chip
resetter so these carts can be refilled.

Last week, to avoid the chipped cart hassle I bought two new ip5000
printers, one to replace a printer for my wife and one to put on the shelf
as a refillable spare. These use the bci-6 and bci-3 carts without chips
and are easily refillable.

Old December 3rd 05, 04:50 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers

measekite posted the exciting message news:jC0kf.22928
:

Once the printer is past warranty, I'll look into buying bulk
ink and refilling the tanks myself

WHAT A MISTAKE. NOW YOU WILL HAVE THAT DESERVING CLOG YOU ARE AFRAID OF.

Measkite should know. He has constipation. That's why he is all caps.
Old December 3rd 05, 05:02 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers

Prime wrote:

measekite posted the exciting message news:jC0kf.22928
:

Once the printer is past warranty, I'll look into buying bulk
ink and refilling the tanks myself

WHAT A MISTAKE. NOW YOU WILL HAVE THAT DESERVING CLOG YOU ARE AFRAID OF.

Measkite should know. He has constipation. That's why he is all caps.

I TYPE IN ALL CAPS BECAUSE IT IS EASIER TO READ.