Asus P9X79 four short beeps

Old May 4th 18, 03:01 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Bill Anderson

Default Asus P9X79 four short beeps

On 5/3/2018 7:34 PM, Bill Anderson wrote:
On 5/3/2018 12:15 AM, Paul wrote:
Bill Anderson wrote:
Forgot to mention I ran Memtest on all 32 gigs for six hours last
night and there were no errors.

So it's probably not the RAM itself.

Something about the processor and its built-in memory
controller. Or the voltage regulators that power the
various parts there.

Â*Â*Â* Paul

I think you put me on the right path in your previous message, Paul, and
once again I thank you.Â* I've adjusted things in BIOS and reinstalled
all four RAM sticks and I'm showing 32 gigs of healthy memory and the
system has been booting flawlessly from shut-down state.Â* All I did was
go to the memory adjustments in BIOS and try to make everything as
untweaked as possible.Â* Here's how things look now:

https://goo.gl/D3x3L7

All this overclocking tweaking stuff is too much for me to even want to
figure out.Â* I do remember a few years back trying to tweak timings and
so forth, based on advice I'd either read on the internet or that you'd
given me.Â* I just don't remember.Â* Whatever, It had all been working
fine up until recently and I'd given it no more thought.Â* Something must
have goosed BIOS, I dunno.Â* It certainly wasn't me.Â* Maybe now I can
stop thinking about it again.

Of course things may all go south any time, but right now I'm feeling
pretty good about my current setup and I've stopped looking at the
latest and greatest Asus motherboards and Intel i7 processors.Â* Boy, you
can spend a lot of money on that stuff...

Thanks again.

And within 20 minutes of posting that I was back to the four beeps
again. I'm tired of this. My current build will be six years old in
September. It's time.

First step is an inventory of everything I have hanging off the P9X79.
I'll want to use as much of it as possible. But maybe my new MBO could
have more SATA III ports than the P9X79? I've had to get a PCIE card to
give me more SATA III ports. And I'd like USB3 internal blocks for USB
ports on the front of my case.

And I'd like to keep using my NZXT Kraken X61 RL-KRX61-01 liquid CPU
cooler, but apparently the only Intel processors it supports are 2011
/1366 /1156 /1155 /1150. Maybe there's an adapter. If not, I'll have to
get a new cooler, and I like the Kraken so much -- it's quiet and solved
my overheating problem -- I'll probably want to get one that fits
whatever new processor I come up with.

Let's see what I have in each of the P9X79's slots:

PCIEX16_1 slot
Silverstone PCI Express Card with USB 3.0 Internal Connector
Shouldn't need this if new MBO has internal USB 3.0 connection for front
panel

PCIEX1_1 slot
Hauppauge Colossus video capture card
I'll need this in the new build

PCIEX1_2 slot
ATI Theater 650 Video Card
It's a TV tuner card I'm no longer using. Guess I oughta pull it out.

PCIEX16_2 slot
GEFORCE GTX970 Video Card

PCI1 slot
Unoccupied as the video card covers it up

PCIEX16_3
StarTech 2 Port SATA 6 Gbps PCI Express SATA Controller Card
Shouldn't need this in new build if the MBO has plenty of SATA6 ports.

So what to get? This looks good, but expensive, ASUS PRIME X299-DELUXE
https://goo.gl/iWZhQY
It's got seven SATA 6 ports and it has one USB 3.1 Gen 2 front panel
connector port. Plus lots more USB.

It'll work with this processor, i7 Core X
https://goo.gl/kagSsV

And of course there's RAM. I'm thinking my 32 gigs of DDR3 was
overkill. Maybe 16 gigs for this one? A couple of these Corsair
Vengeance sticks?
https://goo.gl/NmfLRT

I want power for video editing, not so much for gaming, though the
Oculus Prime VR device looked interesting and I was disappointed when I
ran the routine to check my P9X79 and I learned I didn't have a
processor powerful enough. It's an i7 for heaven's sake!

I confess I'm at a loss about what I should do. I wouldn't even be
thinking about a new build if my P9X79 were dependable, but it's going
flaky and I don't want to mess around with it. I want a computer that
works.

Other ideas?

--
Bill Anderson

I am the Mighty Favog
Old May 4th 18, 05:58 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul[_28_]

Bill Anderson wrote:
On 5/3/2018 12:15 AM, Paul wrote:
Bill Anderson wrote:
Forgot to mention I ran Memtest on all 32 gigs for six hours last
night and there were no errors.

So it's probably not the RAM itself.

Something about the processor and its built-in memory
controller. Or the voltage regulators that power the
various parts there.

Paul

I think you put me on the right path in your previous message, Paul, and
once again I thank you. I've adjusted things in BIOS and reinstalled
all four RAM sticks and I'm showing 32 gigs of healthy memory and the
system has been booting flawlessly from shut-down state. All I did was
go to the memory adjustments in BIOS and try to make everything as
untweaked as possible. Here's how things look now:

https://goo.gl/D3x3L7

All this overclocking tweaking stuff is too much for me to even want to
figure out. I do remember a few years back trying to tweak timings and
so forth, based on advice I'd either read on the internet or that you'd
given me. I just don't remember. Whatever, It had all been working
fine up until recently and I'd given it no more thought. Something must
have goosed BIOS, I dunno. It certainly wasn't me. Maybe now I can
stop thinking about it again.

Of course things may all go south any time, but right now I'm feeling
pretty good about my current setup and I've stopped looking at the
latest and greatest Asus motherboards and Intel i7 processors. Boy, you
can spend a lot of money on that stuff...

Thanks again.

Scroll down a bit further and check the other values ?

https://s18.postimg.cc/d2udxby2h/my_machine_p9x79.gif

Paul
Old May 5th 18, 07:12 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul[_28_]

Bill Anderson wrote:
On 5/4/2018 1:23 AM, Paul wrote:

LGA2066 4 channel

X299 LGA2066 V1 via DMI V3 Lane
2066 Core i9 i9-7900X(U0) Skylake-X 3.3GHz 13.75MB 140W 44
*******
RAMCH PCIE AVX512
i9-7900X (13.75M cache, 10 Cores, 20 Threads, 3.30 GHz) $ 989 4 44

I'm curious what you think of the "high-end" build on this page.
https://www.custompcreview.com/compu...ing-pc-builds/

It uses the Asus MBO I like and the i97900X you show above is "only"
$899.99 at Newegg. The killer for me is the price of the RAM. If I go
this route I'll probably start with a quarter, possibly half the RAM
recommended. But I'm thinking seriously about purchasing the MBO and
CPU they recommend, some of the RAM, and whatever else I need from the
rest.

This would be expensive. And what makes it worse is that my current
system is behaving itself most of the time today. Don't know how long
that will last, though.

Thoughts?

CPU Intel Core i9-7900X ~$989 4 channel CPU, use 4 DIMMs minimum
Motherboard ASUS PRIME X299-Deluxe LGA 2066 as you'd expect, $$$
Memory 64GB Kingston HyperX FURY 2133MHz (4x16GB) Kit === could replace with 4x4GB DIMMs
GPU PNY Nvidia Quadro P6000 24GB ~$4500.00 !!! === certified OpenGL support $$$
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D
Boot Drive Samsung 850 PRO 1TB SSD === probably the last 850 Pro (MLC) still in stock, 256/512 gone
Storage Drive Western Digital Caviar Black 4TB
Optical Drive ASUS Blu-Ray Writer
PSU EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G3
CPU Cooler Corsair H100i v2
Operating System Windows 10 Home 64-Bit === Cheapskates! This should use Pro.

That video card choice totally swamps out any notion of "cost savings".

I generally try to track down what the "desktop" equivalent of
the card is. In this case, it would be a Titan X (~$1200 original price).
The difference is, the "certified OpenGL support" is for CAD software, and the
card ends up with "business" pricing to go along with the
"professional" creds of the card. The Titan X also has half
the VRAM, but really "12GB is the same as 24GB" for all except
the most extreme applications. SimCity doesn't need 12GB.

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-pascal-q...ng-benchmarks/

If you were Bill Gates, that would be a great system.

So when I click the button, it goes to Amazon, and is "sans video card" ???
If so, you'd probably want to do a few edits in the parts list.

The motherboard is $500 class.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...2E16813132990R

You could go crazy with the RAM in terms of speed... but read the reviews.

G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 $257

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16820231980

Pros: Looks nice.

Cons: Did not hold stock clocks or timings.

When it would hold them, it required such High VSA and VCCIO
that the CPU was under threat.

Would only load past the windows logo once every 10+ boots
during these moments of testing.

Spreaders conflict with larger, say 135mm, CPU heatsink fans.

Your build is using a water cooler for the CPU, so it doesn't
matter how tall the heat spreaders are. The hose barbs and
tubing have to be routed so they don't conflict with
RAM or something.

These other ones, the five reviews seem to be better for some
reason, perhaps because they were testing with a different
CPU type ? It's hard to find ordinary DIMMs that actually
claim to be tested with X299 (for whatever that is worth -
the machine should really work with any DDR4 you select).
The reason for selecting this, is the hope the XMP profile
works to save on the need for "tuning".

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16820231907 $238.99

This is easily a $2000 build, just quickly doing a few sums
in my head. And say, reusing your video card. A $500 motherboard,
a $1000 CPU, $250 for RAM, a bit more other junk, and so on.
The CPU liquid cooler probably costs a few bucks. But
is going to be more friendly than putting a huge Noctua
air cooler in there. I had to seat the DIMMs on my system,
using a "pusher stick" made of wood, to snap the DIMMs into place.
A water cooler leaves a lot more room (although it doesn't give
any blowdown cooling or anything, for motherboard components).
You might want to check the temps on the VCore regulator
during your build/test. When Prime95 is running (non-AVX version).

Paul
Old May 6th 18, 01:29 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Bill Anderson

On 5/5/2018 1:12 PM, Paul wrote:
Bill Anderson wrote:
On 5/4/2018 1:23 AM, Paul wrote:

LGA2066 4 channel

X299Â* LGA2066 V1Â* via DMI V3Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Lane
Â*Â*Â*Â* 2066 Core i9 i9-7900X(U0)Â* Skylake-XÂ*Â* 3.3GHz 13.75MB 140WÂ*Â*Â* 44
*******

RAMCH PCIEÂ* AVX512
i9-7900X (13.75M cache, 10 Cores, 20 Threads, 3.30 GHz)Â* $ 989
4Â*Â*Â*Â* 44

I'm curious what you think of the "high-end" build on this page.
https://www.custompcreview.com/compu...ing-pc-builds/

It uses the Asus MBO I like and the i97900X you show above is "only"
$899.99 at Newegg.Â* The killer for me is the price of the RAM.Â* If I
go this route I'll probably start with a quarter, possibly half the
RAM recommended.Â* But I'm thinking seriously about purchasing the MBO
and CPU they recommend, some of the RAM, and whatever else I need from
the rest.

This would be expensive.Â* And what makes it worse is that my current
system is behaving itself most of the time today.Â* Don't know how long
that will last, though.

Thoughts?

CPUÂ*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Intel Core i9-7900XÂ*Â* ~$989Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* 4 channel CPU,
use 4 DIMMs minimum
MotherboardÂ*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* ASUS PRIME X299-Deluxe LGA 2066Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* as you'd
expect, $$$
MemoryÂ*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* 64GB Kingston HyperX FURY 2133MHz (4x16GB) KitÂ* ===
could replace with 4x4GB DIMMs
GPUÂ*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* PNY Nvidia Quadro P6000 24GBÂ*Â* ~$4500.00 !!!Â*Â*Â* ===
certified OpenGL support $$$
CaseÂ*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Corsair Obsidian 750D
Boot DriveÂ*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Samsung 850 PRO 1TB SSDÂ* === probably the last 850
Pro (MLC) still in stock, 256/512 gone
Storage DriveÂ*Â*Â*Â* Western Digital Caviar Black 4TB
Optical DriveÂ*Â*Â*Â* ASUS Blu-Ray Writer
PSUÂ*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G3
CPU CoolerÂ*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Corsair H100i v2
Operating SystemÂ* Windows 10 Home 64-Bit === Cheapskates! This should
[...]

G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600Â* $257

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16820231980

Â* Pros: Looks nice.

Â* Cons: Did not hold stock clocks or timings.

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* When it would hold them, it required such High VSA and VCCIO
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* that the CPU was under threat.

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Would only load past the windows logo once every 10+ boots
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* during these moments of testing.

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Spreaders conflict with larger, say 135mm, CPU heatsink fans.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...20231907Â*Â*Â* $238.99

This is easily a $2000 build, just quickly doing a few sums
in my head. And say, reusing your video card. A $500 motherboard,
a $1000 CPU, $250 for RAM, a bit more other junk, and so on.
The CPU liquid cooler probably costs a few bucks. But
is going to be more friendly than putting a huge Noctua
air cooler in there. I had to seat the DIMMs on my system,
using a "pusher stick" made of wood, to snap the DIMMs into place.
A water cooler leaves a lot more room (although it doesn't give
any blowdown cooling or anything, for motherboard components).
You might want to check the temps on the VCore regulator
during your build/test. When Prime95 is running (non-AVX version).

Â*Â* Paul

Heh, I didn't price the GPU because I planned to use the one I have. And
yes, I figured about $2K, which I can swing, but which I don't want to
do if I don't have to. I hadn't even looked at the price of the GPU.
Holy moly.

I've spent the bulk of today working on (OK, playing around with) my
P9X79 computer. I have a dual boot system and I wanted to upgrade my
secondary OS with the latest version of Win10, a clean install.

A digression: I downloaded the new (this week) Win10 ISO and installed
it clean in a small partition I use for my secondary OS. Pretty soon it
was telling me it needed some "updates." Well, where the initial
installation took about 20 minutes, the "updates" took over an hour, but
now I have an installation of Win10 version 1803, OS Build 17134.1. And
now that I look, I see my main OS installation is Version 1709, Build
16299.371. And I thought I'd successfully updated it to the Spring 2018
version earlier this week. Sometimes Windows puzzles me.

My main point, though, is that throughout today I've heard the four-beep
error message only once, and that was when I'd disconnected my main boot
drive (an SSD that holds the OS and all applications) in order to
prevent Win10 from spotting it while installing my secondary OS on
another drive. (I hate dealing the with boot manager, and this way it
never gets triggered.) But all I had to do was power down and then
power up again and I heard the Post beep and I was in business for the
rest of the day.

As I've mentioned in earlier posts, a simple reboot never triggers the
error beeps. The system has to shut down -- fans off -- before a reboot
triggers the error. And the other day that was happening regularly.
Every time I'd exit BIOS the system would completely power down, pause a
few seconds, and then power up again, triggering the error. Today that
hasn't happened once, I transition smoothly from BIOS into OS boot and
I've been in and out of BIOS a number of times.

So...I'm not going to buy a new system as long as this one keeps
behaving. But if things go south again anytime soon, I really believe
I'll get the board and the processor mentioned above, and some of the
RAM, and as for that $4500 GPU...ha ha.

Thanks for following up. I'm going to take a deep breath now and wait
to see if my problems recur anytime soon. I'm hoping I just might be
able to escape this with few injuries to my wallet.

--
Bill Anderson

I am the Mighty Favog
Old May 25th 18, 08:16 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Bill Anderson

On 5/5/2018 7:29 PM, Bill Anderson wrote:
On 5/5/2018 1:12 PM, Paul wrote:
Bill Anderson wrote:
On 5/4/2018 1:23 AM, Paul wrote:

[...]

Â*Â* Pros: Looks nice.

Â*Â* Cons: Did not hold stock clocks or timings.

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* When it would hold them, it required such High VSA and VCCIO
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* that the CPU was under threat.

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Would only load past the windows logo once every 10+ boots
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* during these moments of testing.

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Spreaders conflict with larger, say 135mm, CPU heatsink fans.

[...]

do if I don't have to.Â* I hadn't even looked at the price of the GPU.
Holy moly.

I've spent the bulk of today working on (OK, playing around with) my
P9X79 computer.Â* I have a dual boot system and I wanted to upgrade my
secondary OS with the latest version of Win10, a clean install.

A digression: I downloaded the new (this week) Win10 ISO and installed
it clean in a small partition I use for my secondary OS.Â* Pretty soon it
was telling me it needed some "updates."Â* Well, where the initial
installation took about 20 minutes, the "updates" took over an hour, but
now I have an installation of Win10 version 1803, OS Build 17134.1.Â* And
now that I look, I see my main OS installation is Version 1709, Build
16299.371.Â* And I thought I'd successfully updated it to the Spring 2018
version earlier this week.Â* Sometimes Windows puzzles me.

My main point, though, is that throughout today I've heard the four-beep
error message only once, and that was when I'd disconnected my main boot
drive (an SSD that holds the OS and all applications) in order to
prevent Win10 from spotting it while installing my secondary OS on
another drive.Â* (I hate dealing the with boot manager, and this way it
never gets triggered.)Â* But all I had to do was power down and then
power up again and I heard the Post beep and I was in business for the
rest of the day.

As I've mentioned in earlier posts, a simple reboot never triggers the
error beeps.Â* The system has to shut down -- fans off -- before a reboot
triggers the error.Â* And the other day that was happening regularly.
Every time I'd exit BIOS the system would completely power down, pause a
few seconds, and then power up again, triggering the error.Â* Today that
hasn't happened once, I transition smoothly from BIOS into OS boot and
I've been in and out of BIOS a number of times.

So...I'm not going to buy a new system as long as this one keeps
behaving.Â* But if things go south again anytime soon, I really believe
I'll get the board and the processor mentioned above, and some of the
RAM, and as for that $4500 GPU...ha ha.

Thanks for following up.Â* I'm going to take a deep breath now and wait
to see if my problems recur anytime soon. I'm hoping I just might be
able to escape this with few injuries to my wallet.

Well, ****onit. As time passed I became adept at working around the
problem. Restarts are never a problem -- I can restart over and over
all day long and everything's perfect. But let me shut down -- fans off
-- and getting things going again becomes a hit-or-miss proposition,
with lots of misses before a hit. Press power button -- hear the error
-- power off -- wait -- try again -- no luck -- wait -- try -- wait --
try -- wait...hey, that's the post beep. And then everything's fine
until the next power down.

When all this started, I could always power on successfully first thing
in the morning, but that's no longer the case. Now I expect an error
every time I power up.

I bought a new power supply just in case that was the problem. I
figured if a new PS could solve the problem my wallet would get off
easy. But today I've installed my new Corsair RM750x and on first boot
it was easy sailing, but after a shutdown and power on, I got the error
beeps again. So for a semi-reasonable sum I've ruled out the power
supply. Next up, I guess -- MBO, CPU, memory, M2 card. Good news
about the cooling system: apparently my current Kraken X61 will fit a
socket 2066.

I don't know what else to do. Memtest never finds an error and Windows
and Aida report my 32 gigabytes of DDR3 are behaving normally. I think
there's got to be a MBO problem, but if you have another idea I'd like
to hear it. Otherwise I'm about to do some expensive shopping. At
least I'll be starting with a nice new power supply.

--
Bill Anderson

I am the Mighty Favog
Old June 9th 18, 04:53 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Bill Anderson

On 5/25/2018 2:16 PM, Bill Anderson wrote:

I don't know what else to do.Â* Memtest never finds an error and Windows
and Aida report my 32 gigabytes of DDR3 are behaving normally.Â* I think
there's got to be a MBO problem, but if you have another idea I'd like
to hear it.Â* Otherwise I'm about to do some expensive shopping.Â* At
least I'll be starting with a nice new power supply.

I'm now convinced the P9X79 is my problem.

I bought a new MBO -- Asus Prime X-299A and outfitted it with a new i7
processor and 16 gigs of ddr4 memory and (my new pride and joy) a 500 GB
Samsung NVMe m.2 socket SSD card. Man that thing is blazing fast -- I'm
convinced even faster than my old Samsung 500 GB SSD. And in case you're
wondering, a Kraken X61 cooler moves from a LGA 2011 socket to an LGA
2066 socket with no fuss at all. Fits perfectly.

In building the new system I came to the embarrassing (but mistaken)
conclusion that my whole problem had a bad Colossus video capture card,
as I couldn't get my old one to work on the new MBO for some reason.
The new system wouldn't start with that Colossus card installed. Well I
just knew that must have been my problem all along, so I ordered a new
Colossus 2 card which is working flawlessly in the new system. I was
confident I'd identified the problem and pretty annoyed at myself for
buying a new MBO and processor and all the rest when all I'd needed to
do was replace that Colossus card. Sure, I wanted a faster system, but
still...

So last night, with the new system up and running great, I gathered some
unused parts and rebuilt my old system. I had a spare case and cooler
and power supply and really everything I needed except an optical drive
and strangely, a little motherboard speaker -- both easily obtainable.
I certainly had enough parts to fire up the rebuilt P9X79, which I did
and it started perfectly, everything working. And then I shut down and
restarted and ... nothing. I head no beeps because I had no MBO
speaker, but it was easy to tell it wasn't booting.

Wait, try, wait, try, wait ... then it booted. Same behavior as before,
and this time with practically no peripherals installed. Removed all
memory but one card ... nothing. Switched out that card ... nothing.
Wait, try, wait, try, wait ...and it boots.

So I want a new motherboard for my Intel LGA 2011 i7 3930 processor and
32 gigabytes of Corsair Vengeance DDR3 memory. And I can't seem to find
anything worth having for less than about $400. I can find micro
motherboards that come with a processor already installed for under
$150, but I want a full ATX with onboard sound and a few slots for
peripherals like my spare nVidia GTX 570 video card. And I don't want
to pay $250 to $400 to build a system I don't really need but would like
to have around just in case...you know.

Anybody have a suggestion for where to find something cheap? And good?
Please help me find a use for all my spare parts....

--
Bill Anderson

I am the Mighty Favog
Old June 9th 18, 07:21 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Bill Anderson

On 6/9/2018 10:53 AM, Bill Anderson wrote:
On 5/25/2018 2:16 PM, Bill Anderson wrote:

I don't know what else to do.Â* Memtest never finds an error and
Windows and Aida report my 32 gigabytes of DDR3 are behaving
normally.Â* I think there's got to be a MBO problem, but if you have
another idea I'd like to hear it.Â* Otherwise I'm about to do some
expensive shopping.Â* At least I'll be starting with a nice new power
supply.

I'm now convinced the P9X79 is my problem.

I bought a new MBO -- Asus Prime X-299A and outfitted it with a new i7
processor and 16 gigs of ddr4 memory and (my new pride and joy) a 500 GB
Samsung NVMe m.2 socket SSD card. Man that thing is blazing fast -- I'm
convinced even faster than my old Samsung 500 GB SSD. And in case you're
wondering, a Kraken X61 cooler moves from a LGA 2011 socket to an LGA
2066 socket with no fuss at all.Â* Fits perfectly.

In building the new system I came to the embarrassing (but mistaken)
conclusion that my whole problem had a bad Colossus video capture card,
as I couldn't get my old one to work on the new MBO for some reason. The
new system wouldn't start with that Colossus card installed.Â* Well I
just knew that must have been my problem all along, so I ordered a new
Colossus 2 card which is working flawlessly in the new system.Â* I was
confident I'd identified the problem and pretty annoyed at myself for
buying a new MBO and processor and all the rest when all I'd needed to
do was replace that Colossus card. Sure, I wanted a faster system, but
still...

So last night, with the new system up and running great, I gathered some
unused parts and rebuilt my old system. I had a spare case and cooler
and power supply and really everything I needed except an optical drive
and strangely, a little motherboard speaker -- both easily obtainable. I
certainly had enough parts to fire up the rebuilt P9X79, which I did and
it started perfectly, everything working.Â* And then I shut down and
restarted and ... nothing.Â* I head no beeps because I had no MBO
speaker, but it was easy to tell it wasn't booting.

Wait, try, wait, try, wait ... then it booted.Â* Same behavior as before,
and this time with practically no peripherals installed.Â* Removed all
memory but one card ... nothing.Â* Switched out that card ... nothing.
Wait, try, wait, try, wait ...and it boots.

So I want a new motherboard for my Intel LGA 2011 i7 3930 processor and
32 gigabytes of Corsair Vengeance DDR3 memory.Â* And I can't seem to find
anything worth having for less than about $400.Â* I can find micro
motherboards that come with a processor already installed for under
$150, but I want a full ATX with onboard sound and a few slots for
peripherals like my spare nVidia GTX 570 video card.Â* And I don't want
to pay $250 to $400 to build a system I don't really need but would like
to have around just in case...you know.

Anybody have a suggestion for where to find something cheap?Â* And good?
Please help me find a use for all my spare parts....

Maybe this?

https://goo.gl/wqcfA7

https://www.amazon.com/Procaja-Mothe...ga+2011+socket

--
Bill Anderson

I am the Mighty Favog
Old June 9th 18, 08:27 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul[_28_]

Bill Anderson wrote:
[...]

The Amazon entry, the dimensions are somewhat strange.
You'll want to convert the measurements to inches and
see whether it's even MicroATX.

I couldn't find any reference to the brand.

But apparently, X79 motherboards from China are a "thing".
The dude here receives one, that doesn't even have a
heatsink on the VRM components.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pg739TdPFeA

Now if I was building that up:

1) Build on kitchen table.
2) Lay motherboard in the open so it can be seen.
3) Run Prime95.
4) Stick finger on VRM. Get burnt or whatever.
5) Plan a cooling strategy.
6) Then... install in a case.

You'd probably check the VRM even at idle in the case of
that motherboard (with no heatsink on VRM). The one in your
case has an extruded aluminum piece bolted to it for
looks. Aluminum fins, it doesn't pay to make them too
tall, as you can't get heat flow up to the top of the
fin all that well. And that's why the shortness of
those fins probably isn't a total disaster. While surface
area is what you want on heatsinks, if you have a
really thin 1" tall fin, the top half inch isn't
doing anything. This is why for CPU coolers, heatpipes
are wound through the fin arrays to shorten the distance
from heatpipe "perfect thermal conductor" to the fin.
If the fins were thicker, then they could be taller,
but with thicker fins there would be fewer of them.

I ended up using impingement cooling on my VRM,
but the heatsink on my board isn't really shaped
for any good cooling strategies. I just "pointed
the fan at it and hoped for the best". I installed
the fan, because I burned my finger on the VRM
heatsink.

Since the dude in the video received a three page
fold-out "manual", chances are you'll be doing
a build with zero support from the manufacturer.
If you're lucky, there might be an all-Chinese
manual as a PDF on the CD. I've worked with
all-Chinese manuals before, and the diagrams
still have value.

The BIOS on that Youtube motherboard is AMI,
but who knows whether AMI knows about that
particular manufacturer.

I would prefer to see a "CPU support table", with
some notion of BIOS version versus supported CPUs.
Just dropping a few CPU model numbers into a
single sentence answer, isn't confidence building.

But it is cheap :-) Er, ah, I mean "good price".
The larger Chinese plants use automation for mfg
(standard pick and place, double IR reflow tunnels),
and only test is done with humans. They cannot
afford to make too much garbage - in a low margin
business, you'd go bankrupt in a year if you
couldn't achieve some level of build quality.
But that doesn't address whether the board layout
and controlled impedance were done well. They have
to steal an experienced designer from one of the
larger motherboard houses, to expect good work.
I don't think we're at the level yet where a
high school student can have "first time success".

Paul
Old June 10th 18, 04:45 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Bill Anderson

On 6/9/2018 2:27 PM, Paul wrote:
Bill Anderson wrote:
On 6/9/2018 10:53 AM, Bill Anderson wrote:
On 5/25/2018 2:16 PM, Bill Anderson wrote:

I don't know what else to do.Â* Memtest never finds an error and
Windows and Aida report my 32 gigabytes of DDR3 are behaving
normally.Â* I think there's got to be a MBO problem, but if you have
another idea I'd like to hear it.Â* Otherwise I'm about to do some
expensive shopping.Â* At least I'll be starting with a nice new power
supply.

I'm now convinced the P9X79 is my problem.

I bought a new MBO -- Asus Prime X-299A and outfitted it with a new
i7 processor and 16 gigs of ddr4 memory and (my new pride and joy) a
500 GB Samsung NVMe m.2 socket SSD card. Man that thing is blazing
fast -- I'm convinced even faster than my old Samsung 500 GB SSD. And
in case you're wondering, a Kraken X61 cooler moves from a LGA 2011
socket to an LGA 2066 socket with no fuss at all.Â* Fits perfectly.

In building the new system I came to the embarrassing (but mistaken)
conclusion that my whole problem had a bad Colossus video capture
card, as I couldn't get my old one to work on the new MBO for some
reason. The new system wouldn't start with that Colossus card
installed.Â* Well I just knew that must have been my problem all
along, so I ordered a new Colossus 2 card which is working flawlessly
in the new system.Â* I was confident I'd identified the problem and
[...]

and 32 gigabytes of Corsair Vengeance DDR3 memory.Â* And I can't seem
to find anything worth having for less than about $400.Â* I can find
micro motherboards that come with a processor already installed for
under $150, but I want a full ATX with onboard sound and a few slots
for peripherals like my spare nVidia GTX 570 video card.Â* And I don't
[...]

You make some very good points, as usual. This one at least has reviews
and the cost is about the same:

https://goo.gl/Mhq69H

https://www.amazon.com/Beyang-Intel-...tome rReviews

I'm going to give it some more thought as I'm headed out of town
tomorrow. But for the price I think this is worth a shot. We shall
see. And thanks for pushing me toward a heat sink.

--
Bill Anderson

I am the Mighty Favog