Motherboard/PC not booting when no monitor connected ?!? (or switch connections ?)

Old June 14th 11, 03:18 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Paul

Default Motherboard/PC not booting when no monitor connected ?!? (orswitch connections ?)

Skybuck Flying wrote:

"Paul" wrote in message ...

Skybuck Flying wrote:

Good idea, I booted the pc into the bios, and there is an option called:

Boot Failure Guard [enabled]
Boot Failure Guard Count [3]

So this looks suspicious and might be the reason why it didn’t boot
without a monitor attached.

Bye,
Skybuck.

"
Boot Failure Guard is there to help people who overclock.

My previous Asrock board had that option. If you press the
reset button, three times in a row, with a two second delay
between presses, it tells the computer that some setting
is preventing a normal boot. Such an option saves the user
from having to "Clear CMOS" to regain control of the computer.
It is a handy feature.
"

So does this only work for the "reset switch"...

Because I also did "control-alt-delete" a few times because the "press
F2 or del to enter bios" message either didn't work for F2 or it went to
fast to press del

Bye,
Skybuck.

The reset signal works well, because it is an abrupt condition
the BIOS is not expecting. And it is easier to interpret as a
crash condition.

Crashes seem to be tracked, by a flag the BIOS sets. The flag
is cleared, if some kind of "normal" shutdown is done. By using
the reset button, you're simulating an abrupt termination, just
like a real crash would achieve.

I've never seen a technical description of the details of
crash detection (like, where the flag value is stored).

Asus uses a similar technique to Asrock,
the difference being that Asus triggers after just one
occurrence. And the Asus recovery procedure is triggered
even when users aren't overclocking. The Asrock technique
of waiting for three events in a row (implying extreme
instability), is better, because it avoids nuisance
BIOS changes.

On my P4C800-E Deluxe from Asus, I've had to reload the
BIOS settings a few times, doe to triggering that thing.
Some BIOS designs now, are a bit more clever, as all
they reset is the memory clock rate and the FSB clock rate.
And they leave the other settings alone, so there is not
as much BIOS settings to reload. Some motherboards have
"profile storage", and with those, you can reload the BIOS
settings from storage. But the motherboards I've got,
if they recover from a crash in that way, I have to
reload all the settings manually.

Paul
Old June 14th 11, 03:24 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Skybuck Flying[_7_]

Yeah ok,

But this doesn't really answer my question.

"control-alt-delete" is probably considered a warm-reboot or warm-reset.

Does that also count for the counter ?

I guess I could try it out... but I am not gonna do that now...

Also I'll probably be using this setup for a while which works nicely so
there is no rush...

I was just wondering what could explain the kinda weird behaviour I saw...

I guess it could be weird electrical related things, but if not then it
would be nice to rule that out because it was a feature and not something
weird.

I still need to call technician to replace power wall socket... perhaps I
will do that soon... we had many holidays over here and I was busy too with
lots of stuff

Also currently one blue led is not shining which is kinda weird... but oh
well

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old June 14th 11, 03:32 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Paul

Skybuck Flying wrote:
[...]

When you press the reset button, the BIOS has no time to clear the flag,
so the next time the BIOS starts, it finds the crash flag is still set.
That's the difference between reset and control-alt-delete. The control-alt-delete
is detected by BIOS code, and the BIOS does a "controlled" restart, offering
an opportunity to clear the flag before the next POST sequence starts.

Paul