Acer Aspire 5630 Laptop screen/display problem

Old May 3rd 09, 12:22 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.sys.pc-clone.acer,comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops
Larry[_10_]

Default UPDATE Acer Aspire 5630 Laptop screen/display problem

"Pete Zahut" dont@bother wrote in
:

Fixer, I owe you a pint - a œ12GBP secondhand LCD cable from Ebay
sorted the problem. Thanks very much mate, and to all who took the
time to try and help
)

Pete

Don't you just love the look on the other people's faces around you when
you've troubleshot some complex problem successfully on the other side of
the planet by remote control?......(c;]

I fixed a Russian TV set in Siberia for a guy who was stumped, from here in
South Carolina. One of my friends, here, was sitting in my little messy
computer room when the Skype call from Siberia came in thanking me for
fixing his TV.

The look on my friend's face was simply PRICELESS. He still thinks I'm
some kind of genius....hee hee...(c;]

--
-----
Larry
Old May 3rd 09, 09:49 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.sys.pc-clone.acer,comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops
Pete Zahut

Larry wrote:
"Pete Zahut" dont@bother wrote in
:

Fixer, I owe you a pint - a o12GBP secondhand LCD cable from Ebay
sorted the problem. Thanks very much mate, and to all who took the
time to try and help
o)

Pete

Don't you just love the look on the other people's faces around you
when you've troubleshot some complex problem successfully on the
other side of the planet by remote control?......(c;]

I fixed a Russian TV set in Siberia for a guy who was stumped, from
here in South Carolina. One of my friends, here, was sitting in my
little messy computer room when the Skype call from Siberia came in
thanking me for fixing his TV.

The look on my friend's face was simply PRICELESS. He still thinks
I'm some kind of genius....hee hee...(c;]

Yeah, it truly is the spirit of USENET and the internet and it gives you a
warm fuzzy feeling knowing that you've helped someone. This particular
problem was well beyond me (never messed with laptops before) but in general
I'm not so bad with computers and I use PCHelpware to remotely access
friends and family member's computers when they need help.

One particular friend believes I'm in league with Satan and should be burned
at the stake as he sits there, 200 miles away, watching me move his cursor
and doing what needs to be done )

Old May 4th 09, 03:41 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.sys.pc-clone.acer,comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops
Larry[_10_]

"Pete Zahut" dont@bother wrote in
:

One particular friend believes I'm in league with Satan and should be
burned at the stake as he sits there, 200 miles away, watching me move
his cursor and doing what needs to be done )

I run my boxes remotely from my little N800 Linux tablet using rdesktop to
WinXP's Remote Desktop quite a bit. The Winbox is always online, so why
not let it do all the heavy lifting and storage then access just one email
client, for example, instead of all this multiple email clients and the
troubles associated with "syncing" the remote computer to the main
computers. Because the tablet's rdesktop requires a separate keyboard, or
use the crappy virtual keyboard on the WinXP box over the net, I use a
rollup rubber keyboard stored in the car if I need it to type something.

Works great for me. No syncing, less wasted space on the remote box....you
just can hear the audio and the link's not near fast enough for any videos.

"Let me check that email from 1998 on my main computer.", I say popping up
the main email on the little tablet way off somewhere. They always look so
astonished I have such remote access. They really need to learn how to USE
Windows or Linux past the basic web browser and desktop....

--
-----
Old July 9th 09, 07:53 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.sys.pc-clone.acer,comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops
malarky

Hi Pete,

I've got exactly the same fault with my beloved 5920g as you had... one
day the screen just seemed to be squeezed into part of the TFT. All of the
desktop is displayed but a fair portion of the screen is black down one
side. I was massively relieved to see you had found a solution, but having
looked for a cable in the UK and failed... I'm starting to lose hope.

Any suggestions for where I can track one down, and what the procedure is
to replace it?

Cheers,

Mark.

Pete Zahut wrote:

Fixer wrote:
"Pete Zahut" dont@bother wrote in message
Paul wrote:
Pete Zahut wrote:
Got the above laptop and it's just developed a problem
with the
screen/display - there's a 65mm column at the
right-hand side of
the display that's gone dark. Applications open up
properly and
you can see the whole width of the app, but it doesn't
go the
whole width of the screen - sort of full display but
not full
screen if you see what I mean. Also, don't know if
it's relevant
or not but the taskbar at the bottom seems to be twice
as tall as
normal and isn't drag-able back to it's usual size -
cursor also
distorts in this area. I'm not explaining it very
well, so have a
look at this photo:

http://s137.photobucket.com/albums/q...nt=laptop1.jpg

At first I thought it may be a display driver issue
but I've
uninstalled and reinstalled without success. I've also
used a
program called #1-TuffTest Pro
(http://www.tufftest.com/ttp01.htm)
that is self-booting, operating system independent and
never goes
anywhere near Windows, but shows the same results, so
I would say
that that rules out any Windows driver issues. Picture
of that test
he

http://s137.photobucket.com/albums/q...nt=laptop2.jpg

Any ideas what's wrong and how to fix it?

TIA,

Pete

Have you done a graphics driver update recently ?

No - uninstalled and reinstalled driver to try to fix the
problem,
but not updated.

It looks like a mismatch, between the actual LCD panel,
and what the software thinks it is driving.

Paul

Yeah, I'd agree with you there Paul - except for the fact that
I've
even used the Recovery CD/Partition to restore the laptop to
the
state it was in when it left the factory and the display is
still
faulty even then.

Ok the way to tell if its hardware or software causing the
problem
is when the machine starts to boot drop into the BIOS whatever it
is
for your laptop, F2 for Dells , Del for some others but anyway
whatever it is for your machine. If the problem is there in when
you
look in the BIOS its the LCD panel or Cable or Motherboard port.
IF
it's not there then it's a driver/application, error. Of course
you
could also connect it to an external monitor and again if its
there
then its the grapghics card or motherboard port or
software/drivers
and if its not there then it's the LCD or cable

Fixer, I owe you a pint - a £12GBP secondhand LCD cable from Ebay
sorted the
problem. Thanks very much mate, and to all who took the time to try and
help
)

Pete

+---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Follow alt.comp.hardware,alt.sys.pc-clone.acer,comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops threads |
| with your Firefox Live Bookmarks! Set it up at |
| http://www.1-script.com/forums/ |
+---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

Old July 10th 09, 09:07 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.sys.pc-clone.acer,comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops
Conor[_3_]

In article , malarky
says...

Hi Pete,

I've got exactly the same fault with my beloved 5920g as you had... one
day the screen just seemed to be squeezed into part of the TFT. All of the
desktop is displayed but a fair portion of the screen is black down one
side. I was massively relieved to see you had found a solution, but having
looked for a cable in the UK and failed... I'm starting to lose hope.

Any suggestions for where I can track one down, and what the procedure is
to replace it?

Ebay. Just getting one in to do next week.

--
Conor
www.notebooks-r-us.co.uk
Old August 4th 09, 02:54 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.sys.pc-clone.acer,comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops
Pete Zahut

Hi Mark,

All I can say is Ebay for the cable and then download a manual from here

http://www.tim.id.au/blog/tims-lapto...uals/#toc-acer

HTH,

Pete

Old June 19th 11, 08:42 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
bhaceruser

Thanks to everyone for this very useful thread.

Had the same problem on my Acer Aspire 5630. Only 1024x768 area of the
1280x800 display was useable, with a wide black margin on the right and
an area at the bottom where the last row of the display is stretched
down to the bottom of the screen.

After seeing this thread, I bought a second hand cable off ebay (3.50
GBP delivered - bargain!). Changing the cable has solved the problem,
and the display now works correctly.

New cable was advertised as coming from an Acer Aspire 5680, but it had
the same text on the label:
HBL51/HBL50 15.4" WXGA
DC020007O00
MEC REV: 2.1

I unpicked the tape from the faulty cable and found a broken yellow
wire, right where the cable bends in the hinge as you would expect.

Thanks again - laptop is now fixed for minimal cost.