P4 3.06 GHz Temps at 50C idle!!!

Old August 20th 03, 10:44 AM
Justin Horne

Default P4 3.06 GHz Temps at 50C idle!!!

Hello all!

I finished building my new system a little while back, and my
temperatures seem (to me) to be very high!

I have a Pentium 4 3.06 GHz running at 3.11 GHz, in a Coolermaster
ATC-110b case. My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-8INXP. I have 2
intake fans (front bottom) and 2 exhaust (rear and top). I bought a
Thermaltake Spark 7+ heatsink and am using Arctic Silver 3 compound.

Here is a full list of all components:

3.06 GHz Pentium 4 @ 3.11 GHz
Gigabyte 8INXP Motherboard
Enermax 431 Watt Power Supply
1GB PC-2700 Corsair XMS RAM
ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon 9700 Pro
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum External
Pinnacle Studio DV Firewire Capture Card w/ front connection
2 x 180GB IBM Deskstar 180GXP Hard Drives in Raid 0 configuration
60GB Western Digital Hard Drive in Standard ATA
Sony DRU-500A DVD-Writer
Sony DVD-Reader Drive
1.44MB Sony Floppy Drive
2 x 12" Blue Cold Cathode Lights
4 x Thermaltake Smart Case Fans II

I keep my house at 75F (24C) always. Here is my log from MBM5 after
running heavy graphics (actually, 3DMark 2003):

|Total number of readouts: 4865 CPU Speed: 3108 MHz
|
|Running from: 8/19/2003 12:57:33 PM untill: 8/20/2003 2:30:52 AM

+-----------------------------+----------+----------+----------+----------+
|Sensor | Current | Low | High |
Average |
+-----------------------------+----------+----------+----------+----------+
|Case Temp | 25° C | 25° C | 25° C | 25° C
|
|CPU Temp | 50° C | 46° C | 64° C | 54° C
|
|Sensor 3 | 0° C | 0° C | 0° C | 0° C
|
|Core 0 | 1.55 V | 1.52 V | 1.60 V | 1.55
V |
|Core 1 | 1.47 V | 1.47 V | 1.49 V | 1.47
V |
|+3.3 | 3.22 V | 3.15 V | 3.25 V | 3.23
V |
|+5.00 | 3.06 V | 3.06 V | 3.06 V | 3.06
V |
|+12.00 | 11.43 V | 11.19 V | 11.49 V | 11.39
V |
|-12.00 | 0.56 V | 0.39 V | 0.56 V | 0.48
V |
|-5.00 | 0.00 V | 0.00 V | 0.00 V | 0.00
V |
|CPU Fan | 4383 RPM | 3590 RPM | 6367 RPM | 5077
RPM |
|Power Fan | 3068 RPM | 3040 RPM | 3154 RPM | 3066
RPM |
|Case Fan | 12500 RPM| 8035 RPM | 16071 RPM| 13410

+-----------------------------+----------+----------+----------+----------+

I have seen my CPU reach 66C, but not usually.

Is my CPU temp normal, or should I be worried? I am open to
suggestions!

In addition, for my system, is the 431-watt power supply enough? If I
need to go larger, I will. Could an under-rated power supply cause
over heating?

BTW, Intel states that the MAX temperature for this CPU is 69C he
http://support.intel.com/support/pro...m4/thermal.htm

Thanks!
JB
Old August 20th 03, 02:33 PM
Spajky

On 20 Aug 2003 02:44:44 -0700, (Justin Horne) wrote:

Hello all!

I finished building my new system a little while back, and my
temperatures seem (to me) to be very high!

3.06 GHz Pentium 4 @ 3.11 GHz
Gigabyte 8INXP Motherboard

I keep my house at 75F (24C) always. Here is my log from MBM5 after
running heavy graphics (actually, 3DMark 2003):

I have seen my CPU reach 66C, but not usually.

Is my CPU temp normal, or should I be worried? I am open to
suggestions!

BTW, Intel states that the MAX temperature for this CPU is 69C he
http://support.intel.com/support/pro...m4/thermal.htm

if your MoBo measures temps from internal diode (properly), you
shuldn`t be worried.
Intel states MAX temperature is 69C :
thats the temp of IHS long term full load (years) temp !!!
inside core would be 10°C more; IMHO @ 80°C core starts thermal
throttling..
looks that everything is normal
(right now I have 55°C on Die with mine Tuallie-idle)
visit my site to read about temps ...

-- Regards, SPAJKY
- http://freeweb.siol.net/jerman55/HP/Spajky.htm
Celly-III OC-ed,"Tualatin on BX-Slot1-MoBo!"
E-mail AntiSpam: remove ##
Old August 20th 03, 10:43 PM
mmartins

I have seen my CPU reach 66C, but not usually.

Is my CPU temp normal, or should I be worried? I am open to
suggestions!

I have the same chip, but not overclocked

50C is my average temperature when idle, but I've seen it go up as far as 60

Old August 24th 03, 02:24 AM
Marc Mercier

I have essentially the same issue I need some advice on.
Case I bought of sleazebay:
Motherboard: Abit IT7-Max2 v2.0
CPU: Intel P4 3.06 (running stock speed)
Ram: 1Gig PC2700 (Elixir)
HDD: Maxtor DM9 120gig SATA
Video: Matrox G400MAX (xfer from old machine)
OS: Win2k SP4

The CPU FAN/HS is the one that came with the CPU and is Intel stock item.
Had MB monitor kick off and shutdown machine because CPU overheated while
playing Return to Wolfenstein, until then it was running around 52-55C. I
then went over to Radio Crap and bought some heatsink compound to replace
the pad, which dropped the operation temps to between 47 and 50. I ran
Prime95 and temps stood still at 68C... case temp 40C... room temp 72C. I
ordered some Ceramique, but it won't be in for a few days... but that's
negligable help compared to the overall picture. I think the Intel
heatsink/fan unit hat comes stock is inadequate. I have a side fan blowing
over the cpu fan, and two rear fans sucking the air past the cpu... and a
power supply with two fans.... yet I can't run Prime95 & RtW at the same
time without the cpu hitting 71C? Hmmmmm....
All the overclocking sites I found have reviews of cpu heatsinks/fans, but
the info is old or they don't do side-by-side comparison "shoot-out" type
reviews. I'm looking for a standard copper or aluminum heat sink w/fan
combo that will cool this down to a reasonable level. Any recommendations
of a product or a website with a good side-by-side comparison review?

Any help would be appreciated.

Marc

note: plz remove the capital letters spelling NO SPAM from email address to
respond via email.

Old August 24th 03, 05:50 AM
Spajky

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 21:24:53 -0400, "Marc Mercier"
wrote:

Motherboard: Abit IT7-Max2 v2.0
CPU: Intel P4 3.06 (running stock speed)

The CPU FAN/HS is the one that came with the CPU and is Intel stock item.
Had MB monitor kick off and shutdown machine because CPU overheated while
playing Return to Wolfenstein, until then it was running around 52-55C. I
then went over to Radio Crap and bought some heatsink compound to replace
the pad, which dropped the operation temps to between 47 and 50. I ran
Prime95 and temps stood still at 68C... case temp 40C... room temp 72C.

room temp 72C ??? check the settings in that monitoring proggy & its
shutdown temps! !!!

I think the Intel
heatsink/fan unit hat comes stock is inadequate. I have a side fan blowing
over the cpu fan, and two rear fans sucking the air past the cpu... and a
power supply with two fans.... yet I can't run Prime95 & RtW at the same
time without the cpu hitting 71C? Hmmmmm....

looks like your MoBo is measuring from on Die diode trully, but check
my site & read about that how to find out for sure that... & are you
sure that you set your software properly (temp ofset) ?

-- Regards, SPAJKY
& visit - http://www.spajky.iscyber.com
Old August 24th 03, 07:09 AM
Marc Mercier

"Spajky" wrote in message
snipped

room temp 72C ??? check the settings in that monitoring proggy & its

shutdown temps! !!!

HAHAHAHA! I screwed up (obviously)... it's 72F... or ~23C in here.

Old August 24th 03, 08:59 PM
Overlord

BTW, did you increase the core voltage for your OC?
Put it back to spec. If I can OC to 3.5 or 3.6gig (whatever it was)
on stock voltage you can certainly run 3.11 on stock voltage or even
run the core voltage lower which I did with no problems on a small OC
but I presume lower CPU temps.
All depends on what your CPU can be talked into.

[...]

~~~~~~
Bait for spammers:
root@localhost
postmaster@localhost