Python22 - is it necessary or even helpful?

Old April 5th 04, 07:16 AM
Euclid

Default Python22 - is it necessary or even helpful?

Sorry for the emulation of the subject line of the prior thread, but it's
appropriate.

My Compaq Presario S4020WM purchased last summer from WalMart came with
Windows XP Home and a myriad of unnecessary junk software &
processes/services. I've got rid of almost everything unnecessary, but I'm
still unsure about "Python22". Presumably it's a straightforward
uninstallation from Add or Remove Programs which lists two related items:

Python 2.2 combined Win32 extensions
Python 2.2.1

Presumably both of those items should be installed to get rid of it, but
does it matter which is uninstalled first? Also, what exactly will I be
losing thereby? Am I losing any important functionality on my computer? I've
looked various places but can't find specific advice about this. They just
launch into some long & wordy, technical, general discussions, and makes it
too difficult to understand.

Thanks.
-E

Old April 9th 04, 09:00 PM
Quaoar

Euclid wrote:
[...]

The only Python I know is interpreted programming language. I cannot
believe that a consumer computer with Windows would have this as an
install option. This reference implies that Python is being used for
system installation. If so, there might be reason to leave it.
http://wingide.com/pipermail/marketi...ry/004086.html
There is no removal order for anything in Add/Remove Programs.

Old April 11th 04, 09:13 PM
Euclid

"Quaoar" wrote in message
Euclid wrote:
[...]

_____________________

Thanks for the reference info. It sounds like I better leave Python alone,
for now. Maybe someday, right before/after I reinstall the op system, I'll
uninstall Python just to see if anything obviously bad happens.

Re the order of uninstallation of items in the Add or Remove Programs list:

I've reinstalled this Compaq OEM Windows XP Home op system several times on
different computers, then cleaned out the junk, and the order DOES matter in
one case related to "backweb". Several junk programs are involved (related
to backweb), and if I don't do it in the correct sequence, some of them
became uninstallable. I've also seen something similar in the past (not with
this system, on a W98se computer) with a couple of program items related to
Microsoft Works, where if one was uninstalled, the other couldn't be
uninstalled. So that's the reason I asked about the proper order of removal
for Python, although as you say, it usually doesn't matter.
-E