CPU upgrade 2.4 to 3.06 = new XP?

Old April 5th 04, 06:13 AM
John Smith

Default CPU upgrade 2.4 to 3.06 = new XP?

I thought that I would up my performance so I bought a P4-3.06 HT and was
going to replace the P4-2.4 in my ASUS P4T533 motherboard, which is a
revision 1.03 with BIOS 1.06, heat sink on chipset not fan. PC Power and
Cooling 450 ATX-PFC watt power supply. Well the BOIS recognized it just
fine, XP started once and I was able to see the P4-3.06 showing as 2
processors as it does with an HT cpu, and then all kinds of problems began,
blue screens, looping restarts, etc. Has anyone ever been successful
upgrading from a non-HT processor to an HT processor? Thanks, Mike

Old April 5th 04, 08:29 AM
Ghostrider

John Smith wrote:

I thought that I would up my performance so I bought a P4-3.06 HT and was
going to replace the P4-2.4 in my ASUS P4T533 motherboard, which is a
revision 1.03 with BIOS 1.06, heat sink on chipset not fan. PC Power and
Cooling 450 ATX-PFC watt power supply. Well the BOIS recognized it just
fine, XP started once and I was able to see the P4-3.06 showing as 2
processors as it does with an HT cpu, and then all kinds of problems began,
blue screens, looping restarts, etc. Has anyone ever been successful
upgrading from a non-HT processor to an HT processor? Thanks, Mike

If Windows XP borrows a page from the Windows NT/2000 playbook,
then the HAL is for a multi-processor machine is different from
that of a uniprocessor machine. A HT CPU would force a re-install
(or repair) to replace the single processor HAL. (HAL==Hardware
Abstraction Layer.)

Old April 5th 04, 08:45 AM
Paul

In article , "John Smith"
wrote:

I thought that I would up my performance so I bought a P4-3.06 HT and was
going to replace the P4-2.4 in my ASUS P4T533 motherboard, which is a
revision 1.03 with BIOS 1.06, heat sink on chipset not fan. PC Power and
Cooling 450 ATX-PFC watt power supply. Well the BOIS recognized it just
fine, XP started once and I was able to see the P4-3.06 showing as 2
processors as it does with an HT cpu, and then all kinds of problems began,
blue screens, looping restarts, etc. Has anyone ever been successful
upgrading from a non-HT processor to an HT processor? Thanks, Mike

Does this have something to do with the HAL used on the OS install ?
This article mentions the types, and maybe the multiprocessor
version is required ?

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=234558

The other possibility is you have one of the boards that cannot
handle a 3.06GHz processor. Possibly a Vcore power problem.
Search in groups.google.com for "P4T533 Serial Number" to see
the comments about production date and the possibilities of
running a 3.06GHz properly. Look at the bottom of this post
for a sample comment:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...rr.com&rnum=11

The theory goes, that the more power drawn from an early rev
board, the more unstable it gets. Disabling HT might cut the
power a bit, for example. Or reducing the FSB etc. If the
board is still under warranty, you might RMA it to get one
that will work with a 3.06GHz HT processor.

HTH,
Paul
Old April 5th 04, 10:49 AM
Hawkeye

Were you running Intel Application Accelerator prior to installing the
3.06 CPU? If not you need to now that you are running it. Not sure
if this will help the situation tho.

--
______________________________

ASUS P4T533 / P4 2.8 @ 3.0 GHz
ASUS Ti 4600 / 1 Gig 1066MHz
RAMBUS / Audigy 2 / XP Home
Old April 5th 04, 10:53 AM
Hawkeye

Also refer to the following post in this group

Asus P4T533 memory and stability problems
Date: 2 Apr 2004 06:34:46 -0800

--
______________________________

ASUS P4T533 / P4 2.8 @ 3.0 GHz
ASUS Ti 4600 / 1 Gig 1066MHz
RAMBUS / Audigy 2 / XP Home
Old April 6th 04, 08:08 AM
Jim Davis Nature Photography

On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 05:13:06 GMT, "John Smith"
wrote/replied to:

I thought that I would up my performance so I bought a P4-3.06 HT and was
going to replace the P4-2.4 in my ASUS P4T533 motherboard, which is a
revision 1.03 with BIOS 1.06, heat sink on chipset not fan. PC Power and
Cooling 450 ATX-PFC watt power supply. Well the BOIS recognized it just
fine, XP started once and I was able to see the P4-3.06 showing as 2
processors as it does with an HT cpu, and then all kinds of problems began,
blue screens, looping restarts, etc. Has anyone ever been successful
upgrading from a non-HT processor to an HT processor? Thanks, Mike

I can tell you that when I changed MBs with the same CPU that I had a
buggar of a time booting. I had to temporarily install another hard
drive. The reason was the I couldn't get the CDRom drive recognized to
reinstall or repair windoze. My old windoze rescue floppy disks
refused to work.

If you're having a problem getting to the point where you can repair
windoze or reinstall from the CDRom, then you might have to install
another HD temporarily. Or in your case, your windoze floppy booter
should work. You did make one, right?

--
Need a brighter headlight the safe way?
Get a MOTORCYCLE HEADLIGHT RELAY KIT at:
Old April 6th 04, 10:29 PM
John Smith

Paul, thanks for that information. The upgrade is more complicated than it
used to be I see. I think I will buy a new hard drive for C and experiment
with this a bit, Thanks for the information, Mike