AIW 9700 pro and ASUS A7n8x deluxe Video problem on boot

Old July 6th 03, 11:24 PM
Aaron

Default AIW 9700 pro and ASUS A7n8x deluxe Video problem on boot

I am having the same, or a similar, problem. The A7N8X deluxe (2.0)
boot logo screen has little flashing squares all over it. Usually
happens on a reboot. Getting video corruption in games, and
blue/yellow boxes/lines in XP desktop. I am also having sound issues,
stuttering in games and during XP login. I have the latest bios
(1005), drivers, etc. Have tried installing XP with & without APIC
enabled. Problem occurs in both cases. I was previously using the
AIW 9700 PRO in Asus A7N266-E and did not have any problems.

System specs:
Athlon XP 3000+ (333)
A7N8X Deluxe 2.0 (FSB 166)
2x Corsair CMX512-C3200C2 (running at 333)
Adaptec 2100S (pci slot2)
Adaptec 2940 (pci slot4)
Antec TruePower 480

I have re-installed XP twice. I was using the same setup with A7N266-E
+ AthlonXP 2100+ without any problems.

I have found some people reporting possible problems with Corsair
memory, and other reporting possible problems with 9700 pro. Perhaps
the problem is the A7N8X? The first one i received was DOA...

"Silence" wrote in message . ca...
Hi,
Has anyone any experience or ideas on this situation:
I just got a new system today.
When I boot with AIW 9700 pro, the image at boot up has bands of
text-like garbage. This occurs even over the fancy boot logo screen. This
continues until the screen that shows you the info screen that tells you
about what hard drives, etc are on your system. Then it just seems to stop.
But when I replace it with an ancient PCI video card (s3 virge) and
everything works fine (as far as an old card goes).
I called the place I bought it from. They said that some ati cards are
just flaky. And that they will replace it. But that will take over a week
with all of the mailing back and forth.

Here are the system details:
AIW 9700 Pro 128 Mb
ASUS A7N8X-DX mobo.
AMD XP2500+ barton CPU
512 Mb Samsung ddr 333 PC2700 RAM
Windows 98/XP dual
465 Watt Power Supply

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Old August 2nd 03, 05:51 PM
Kirby Crosby

I have the non deluxe A7N8X with an AIW9700 pro , it has never given me any
trouble at all.
mind you i do have an Antec 550 watt psu. I learned a long time ago to use a
good quality PSU with lots of reserve, it tends to solve many hard to
diagnose stability problems.

"Ron Kowalski" wrote in message
Same issues here. I have tried turning off the 8X on the AGP with no luck,
tried setting to 128mb, set to 66Mhz, set to 1.6 V. All to no avail. My

next
step is to try a 400W or bigger power supply.
"LCID Fire" wrote in message
om...
(Aaron) wrote in message

om...
I am having the same, or a similar, problem. The A7N8X deluxe (2.0)
boot logo screen has little flashing squares all over it. Usually
happens on a reboot. Getting video corruption in games, and
blue/yellow boxes/lines in XP desktop. I am also having sound issues,
stuttering in games and during XP login. I have the latest bios
(1005), drivers, etc. Have tried installing XP with & without APIC
enabled. Problem occurs in both cases.

Same here. Strangely this started to occur some weeks ago. And if I
play q3a awhile the squares go away and it's fine again. And if I work
on the desktop again it reoccurs. Could this be a driver problem???