Good source of reasonable priced cartridges for HP PSC 750

Old April 3rd 14, 02:06 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
[email protected]

Default Good source of reasonable priced cartridges for HP PSC 750

I just picked up an HP 15 ink cartridge (black) for the HP Printer/Scanner/Copier (PSC) 750. For over $50 (including tax). That's 10 cents/page just for the ink, assuming that the 500-page capacity is accurate.

I don't print at home often, so the value I get from the PSC 750 is more for the standby capability of printing from home, scanning, and copying. Most of my usage is for text content or google-maps routes, meaning that I don't use it's colour photo-quality capability. I print occassionally, and the black-and-white quality is very good. sometimes I have a surge requirement e.g. the season for income tax returns. For this mode of usage, I haven't thought it worth the trouble to replace the PSC 750. In fact, there might not actually be a better option for my particular pattern of usage.

The $50 cartridge sends me off on a temporary state of incredulity. I was wondering if anyone knows of a *good* source of cartridges. The refilled cartridges I've tried in the distant past leave a lot to be desired. Furthermore, not only am I looking for better prices without sacrificing quality, but my usage rate of a cartridge per year (plus/minus some significant percentage) means it doesn't make sense to stockpile cartridges. Since I will be buying one at a time, this rules out options that come with a significant cost of delivery. In fact, retail availability at a bricks-and-mortar store is an important consideration because I don't know when the cartridge will run out, so I can't order ahead of time to avoid lead-time.
Old April 3rd 14, 06:54 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Brian[_8_]

On 03/04/2014 02:06, wrote:
[...]

If you are only wanting to do black & white printing, then nothing beats
a cheap mono laser printer. The cost per page is fraction of that for
ink-jet, and it also usually prints much faster.

Of course the mono laser can't do colour and is not all that good for
even mono graphics, but I understand that colour lasers are now getting
cheaper. Their graphics quality still doesn't match something like an
Epson ink-jet for photos, but is OK for charts, maps, etc.
Old April 7th 14, 01:13 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
[email protected]

On Thursday, April 3, 2014 1:54:56 PM UTC-4, Brian wrote:
On 03/04/2014 02:06, andymhancockATgmail.com wrote:
[...]

I agree, if I was just interested in decreasing the cost per printed
page. However, I want to do this without sacrificing scanning and the
small footprint of the PSC 750. Also, I find that laser printers can
sometimes smell, and sourcing out a good printer involves a time
commitment that I would prefer to avoid. Hence the reduced
"optimization" of seeking a cheaper ink cartridge without the hit in
quality that I found with typical refills. This means anecdotal
vouching for exceptional refill brands.