Intel Pentium D 830 vs 930

Old March 27th 06, 09:05 PM posted to comp.sys.intel

Default Intel Pentium D 830 vs 930

Hi,
I'm building a computer and have decided on a Pentium D 3.0Ghz. However
I can't decide between the 830 and the 930. The only difference between
them (as far as I can tell) is the 930 is equiped with Virtualisation
Technology which doesnt really appeal to me and 2*2MB cache opposed to
the 830's 2*1MB cache.
I understand what cache is and its purpose but would have a total of
4MB be SIGNIFICANTLY better than a total of 2MB?
PC will be used for gaming and media centre.

Thanks,
Adam

Old March 28th 06, 01:31 AM posted to comp.sys.intel

Yes, the cache difference is a big factor.

--
DaveW

----------------
oups.com...

Old March 28th 06, 04:01 PM posted to comp.sys.intel

adamsalisbury wrote:
Hi,
I'm building a computer and have decided on a Pentium D 3.0Ghz. However
I can't decide between the 830 and the 930. The only difference between
them (as far as I can tell) is the 930 is equiped with Virtualisation
Technology which doesnt really appeal to me and 2*2MB cache opposed to
the 830's 2*1MB cache.
I understand what cache is and its purpose but would have a total of
4MB be SIGNIFICANTLY better than a total of 2MB?
PC will be used for gaming and media centre.

Thanks,
Adam

First of all, the totals don't matter since programs on one core can't
use the cache of the other core. So you are chosing between a 1MB cache
Pentium 4 or a 2MB cache Pentium 4. There will be a measurable
performance gain from doubling cache on the Pentium 4. Unless you are
saving a hundred dollars, go with the 930.

Alex
Old March 30th 06, 08:30 PM posted to comp.sys.intel

adamsalisbury wrote:
Hi,
I'm building a computer and have decided on a Pentium D 3.0Ghz. However
I can't decide between the 830 and the 930. The only difference between
them (as far as I can tell) is the 930 is equiped with Virtualisation
Technology which doesnt really appeal to me and 2*2MB cache opposed to
the 830's 2*1MB cache.

The cache will make performance somewhat higher, particularly for media.
Not vastly, but some. I would go for the VT, because you don't know what
software you will want to run in the lifetime of the system. There might
be some great new application out which uses virtualization, or you want
to run a web server in a virtual machine, or ???

I understand what cache is and its purpose but would have a total of
4MB be SIGNIFICANTLY better than a total of 2MB?
PC will be used for gaming and media centre.

My read is you are sure it will be faster, and you buy insurance against
some new software making your system unsatisfactory. Sounds win-win to me.

--
bill davidsen
http://newsgroups.news.prodigy.com