Network switch portable

Old February 17th 09, 07:16 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Dr Jack

Default Network switch portable

Hi,
it exists a portable network switch with 4 port?

Thanks
Old February 17th 09, 04:44 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
kony

On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 23:16:18 -0800 (PST), Dr Jack
wrote:

Hi,
it exists a portable network switch with 4 port?

Thanks

To what extent does it need to be portable? Networks
themselves aren't very portable, and switches will typically
need either be larger to include an internal PSU, or a
separate wall-wart style adapter. Among those, this one is
especially small for a gigabit switch, or the second link is
for the 10/100MB version:

http://www.netgear.com/Products/Swit...hes/GS105.aspx

http://www.netgear.com/Products/Swit...hes/FS105.aspx

There are generic branded switches which are not much larger
but may cost much less, the following is only an example,
you would have to find what the generic brand is for such
parts local to your geographical location, as the following
brand is the seller's "house brand":

Old March 26th 09, 07:23 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
tanstafl

wrote:

Hi,
it exists a portable network switch with 4 port?

snip
parts local to your geographical location, as the following
brand is the seller's "house brand":

Kony - just curiosity - never heard this before. Do you mean the
Rosewill brand is owned by NewEgg as in Sears=Kenmore &
Costco=Kirkland where they provide the specs & farm it out to various
contract manufacturers? Or have they secured a 'gold' channel
distributor relationship with Rosewill to get the best margins?

Went through the Rosewill site. No direct indication of being a
NewEgg subsidiary, but they have offices in Singapore, Taipei & City
of Industry, CA. - no indication of which is the HQ. NewEgg has
facilities in Whittier, Commerce and Industry - a cluster of burbs
east of Los Angeles. If Rosewill HQ is Industry it would favor 'House
Brand'. If it's the US sales office, it could have been located to be
near their premier channel outlet.
----
Pete Gebel pfgebel(deletethis)@crisperiodcom
Have the best day possible - all things considered
Old March 26th 09, 10:05 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
kony

wrote:

Hi,
it exists a portable network switch with 4 port?

snip
parts local to your geographical location, as the following
brand is the seller's "house brand":

Kony - just curiosity - never heard this before. Do you mean the
Rosewill brand is owned by NewEgg as in Sears=Kenmore &
Costco=Kirkland where they provide the specs & farm it out to various
contract manufacturers? Or have they secured a 'gold' channel
distributor relationship with Rosewill to get the best margins?

Closer to the former, except no providing of specs, simply
cosmetic changes (which may not be changes in other market
regions for a manufacturer) for the most part.

Rosewill is definitely not targeted or perceived as a
high-value brand, there would be little incentive for Newegg
to enter into such an exclusive agreement. Various bits and
pieces of evidence have existed for awhile, I'll link one
and leave more investigative work up to you.
http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/...Off0370483.htm

Old March 27th 09, 04:57 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
tanstafl

wrote:

[...]

Thanks Kony. Looks like a smidge of caution is warranted. I may try
a drive by in the next couple of months to see if the Rosewill office
is colo'd w/ Newegg.
----
Old March 27th 09, 06:51 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
kony

On Fri, 27 Mar 2009 16:57:14 GMT, tanstafl
wrote:

Rosewill is definitely not targeted or perceived as a
high-value brand, there would be little incentive for Newegg
to enter into such an exclusive agreement. Various bits and
pieces of evidence have existed for awhile, I'll link one
and leave more investigative work up to you.
http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/...Off0370483.htm

Thanks Kony. Looks like a smidge of caution is warranted. I may try
a drive by in the next couple of months to see if the Rosewill office
is colo'd w/ Newegg.

Rosewill can still be a good value, and in general Newegg's
customer service is better than average... it just isn't a
premium quality brand like the majors we see so often.
Old March 28th 09, 12:31 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Andy

wrote:

[...]

The building at 17708 Rowland St. City of Industry, CA has the
newegg.com logo on it.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=17708+Rowland +St.+City+of+Industry,+CA+&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=44.928295,30.410156&ie=UTF8&ll=34.0 01585,-117.917998&spn=0.002597,0.007789&t=h&z=17&layer=c& cbll=34.001594,-117.918103&panoid=UdECfeEZQisPoIAMKA2gqQ&cbp=12,17 6.11845323522775,,1,-2.1280991735537262
http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCP&cp=pp05y555638b&style =b&lvl=2&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=33021955&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1

----

Old March 30th 09, 08:48 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
tanstafl

wrote:

[...]

Many thanks - saves me a couple gallons of gas :-)
----
Old March 30th 09, 09:15 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
tanstafl

wrote:

Rosewill is definitely not targeted or perceived as a
high-value brand, there would be little incentive for Newegg
to enter into such an exclusive agreement. Various bits and
pieces of evidence have existed for awhile, I'll link one
and leave more investigative work up to you.
http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/...Off0370483.htm

Thanks Kony. Looks like a smidge of caution is warranted. I may try
a drive by in the next couple of months to see if the Rosewill office
is colo'd w/ Newegg.

Rosewill can still be a good value, and in general Newegg's
customer service is better than average... it just isn't a
premium quality brand like the majors we see so often.

Agreed. I buy most of my stuff from NewEgg because they run a
reliable service. 'House brand' isn't necessarily a negative term -
done correctly it's a definite positive. Most of my appliances are
Kenmore ('cept washer/dryer = Maytag), Kirkland is consistently good
quality. I'm somewhat concerned though that NewEgg doesn't tout the
House Brand status. Raises the specter that Rosewill is deliberately
lower echelon quality and they don't want to sully the hard earned
NewEgg reputation of excellence. Seems to be an error of judgement.
----
Old March 30th 09, 10:39 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
kony

wrote:

[...]

Well it definitely is lower quality, designed that way to
meet the price points it sells under but that too isn't
always a negative thing if the product meets it's intended
purpose. I do think there should be more mention of the
branding situation and connection to Newegg but I can
understand why they want to mislead people into seeing it as
a separate brand as some do assume a house brand is
automatically inferior.