Does any wireless print server work?

Old January 26th 06, 04:40 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers

Default Does any wireless print server work?

The wireless groups don't seem to know much about this topic...

Seeking wireless print servers for a Laserjet 1100 and a
Canon S800, I'm finding all manufacturers I've looked at so
far (Linksys, HP, Motorola, SMC, D-Link) have one or more of
the following problems.

Incompatible with many, if not most, printers
No compatibility list published
Poor tech support
No "wireless G," only 802.11b
WPA security promised and not delivered, or none offered
Not available at Radio Shack (an ominous indicator?)

Do you know of a wireless print server that lacks most of
these problems?

--David
Old January 29th 06, 04:25 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers

In article , J David Ellis
wrote:

Seeking wireless print servers for a Laserjet 1100 and a
Canon S800, I'm finding all manufacturers I've looked at so
far (Linksys, HP, Motorola, SMC, D-Link) have one or more of
the following problems.

Incompatible with many, if not most, printers
No compatibility list published
Poor tech support
No "wireless G," only 802.11b
WPA security promised and not delivered, or none offered
Not available at Radio Shack (an ominous indicator?)

David-

The answer can only be found at Radio Shack!

You might search the HP web site and see if one of theirs will work with
your printer(s).

The other day I saw a wireless print server in the local Staples office
supply store, that would support TWO USB printers at the same time, as
well as connect two or three local computers via Ethernet. I don't recall
the brand, it might have been Linksys.

The best support I've experienced was with D-Link, but that could have
changed by now. Chances are, you will have to take what you get,
regardless of brand. The out-of-country support people I've dealt with may
speak perfect English, but they don't speak computer support very well.

Fred
Old January 29th 06, 10:49 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 08:40:12 -0800, J David Ellis
wrote:

The wireless groups don't seem to know much about this topic...

Seeking wireless print servers for a Laserjet 1100 and a
Canon S800, I'm finding all manufacturers I've looked at so
far (Linksys, HP, Motorola, SMC, D-Link) have one or more of
the following problems.

Incompatible with many, if not most, printers
No compatibility list published
Poor tech support
No "wireless G," only 802.11b
WPA security promised and not delivered, or none offered
Not available at Radio Shack (an ominous indicator?)

Do you know of a wireless print server that lacks most of
these problems?

--David

Take a look at the print servers from both TrendNET and Motorola.

I've installed units from both manfacturers at customer sites and both
have worked quite well and were very easy to install/setup.