Is it possible to run Win98SE on all mobos?

Old January 13th 10, 08:11 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
B[_4_]

Default Is it possible to run Win98SE on all mobos?

Is it possible to run win98SE on an ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe?

When I downloaded the manual, it asked what OS I wanted, and there was
no item in the list for win98? (I also have XP and it had that
listed)

OTOH, when I dl'd the owner's manual for A7V600, the list included 98,
98SE, ME, and XP.

Does that really mean I can't run 98SE on the A8N-SLI Deluxe, or only
that no special helper software exists for that OS, like the program
that monitors temperature.

I have dual boot with XP and I'm not ready to get rid of it it if I
don't have to.

Thanks a lot
Old January 13th 10, 08:14 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
McCorkindale[_2_]

"B" wrote in message
Is it possible to run win98SE on an ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe?

When I downloaded the manual, it asked what OS I wanted, and there was
no item in the list for win98? (I also have XP and it had that
listed)

OTOH, when I dl'd the owner's manual for A7V600, the list included 98,
98SE, ME, and XP.

Does that really mean I can't run 98SE on the A8N-SLI Deluxe, or only
that no special helper software exists for that OS, like the program
that monitors temperature.

I have dual boot with XP and I'm not ready to get rid of it it if I
don't have to.

Thanks a lot

To answer your Question in a simple way - I would say
- it may - but with some problems.

The main problem are drivers. However I run win 95 and 98
on MSI 6178 , 6309, GA-8PE667 Ultr/Pro, Super Micro P6SBU
and P6DBE (one CPU only ) P6SBA. Some drivers work
almost OK, but don't expect all of them working. Main
problem might be with drivers for Ethernet Card,
then if you get internet connection done - you might
be OK.

Old January 14th 10, 02:47 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Barry Watzman

Run it? probably, minimally. But there are probably no Win98 drivers
for a LOT of modern motherboards, so while it may "run", it may also be
pretty pathetic. And in some cases it won't run.

Old January 14th 10, 07:06 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
mm

On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 20:14:55 GMT, "McCorkindale"
wrote:

"B" wrote in message
.. .
Is it possible to run win98SE on an ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe?

When I downloaded the manual, it asked what OS I wanted, and there was
no item in the list for win98? (I also have XP and it had that
listed)

OTOH, when I dl'd the owner's manual for A7V600, the list included 98,
98SE, ME, and XP.

Does that really mean I can't run 98SE on the A8N-SLI Deluxe, or only
that no special helper software exists for that OS, like the program
that monitors temperature.

I have dual boot with XP and I'm not ready to get rid of it it if I
don't have to.

Thanks a lot

Thanks for your answer. It turns out I don't have to get this done
today after all. See my post in the next thread.

To answer your Question in a simple way - I would say
- it may - but with some problems.

The main problem are drivers. However I run win 95 and 98

Like drivers for the onboard audio, right? If worst comes to worst, I
would be able to disable the onboard audio and plug a card in.

on MSI 6178 , 6309, GA-8PE667 Ultr/Pro, Super Micro P6SBU
and P6DBE (one CPU only ) P6SBA. Some drivers work
almost OK, but don't expect all of them working. Main
problem might be with drivers for Ethernet Card,
then if you get internet connection done - you might
be OK.

So if worst comes to worst, I could plug in an Ethernet card that came
with drivers?

The first computer I assembled, from a brand-new mobo, not ASUS (I
forget who made it), woudln't run my floppy drives. I ended up using
an I/O card for quite a few years.

Old January 16th 10, 06:14 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
I-Plex

"mm" wrote in message
On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 20:14:55 GMT, "McCorkindale"
wrote:

"B" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Yes, but with drivers for the OS you are running. You have to use
an earlier Ethernet card which has drivers for Win 95 & 98.
Sometime this cane create problems.

Old January 16th 10, 06:17 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
I-Plex

Indeed, but if someone in vicinity has an old archive of
CDs which usually came with PCW or PC Pro magazines
they could be of some help too as far as drivers and
updates are concern.

"Barry Watzman" wrote in
message ...

Old January 16th 10, 07:44 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Mutley

B wrote:
Is it possible to run win98SE on an ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe?

When I downloaded the manual, it asked what OS I wanted, and there was
no item in the list for win98? (I also have XP and it had that
listed)

OTOH, when I dl'd the owner's manual for A7V600, the list included 98,
98SE, ME, and XP.

Does that really mean I can't run 98SE on the A8N-SLI Deluxe, or only
that no special helper software exists for that OS, like the program
that monitors temperature. I have dual boot with XP and I'm not ready to
get rid of it it if I
don't have to.

Thanks a lot

I run Win98SE as a virtual PC within WinXP.. Win98 has a limited
amount of memory that it can use and over that it will give errors
like "Not enough memory" even when you have a couple of Gig.. Or at
least did on my Asus MOBO

AMD64 mobos Thomas Wendell Homebuilt PC's 0 June 3rd 05 06:08 PM
PCI Express mobos R. P. Overclocking 4 July 26th 04 10:01 PM
A64 mobos for $80 - You get what you pay for... : ( KMS Overclocking AMD Processors 9 February 29th 04 01:25 PM
A64 mobos for $80 Yousuf Khan General 38 February 29th 04 01:25 PM
A64 mobos for $80 Yousuf Khan Intel 11 February 29th 04 01:25 PM