Customer finance for small business

Old July 22nd 03, 12:01 AM
Tim Auton

"Martin Nike" wrote:
That will be part of the stratagy, but you would be surprised about the
profile of people who spend money on consumer goods. It's the Council
estates that have the latest W/Screen TVs, the first to have Satellite TV,
the council estate kids, the first to have the latest fashionable
clothes....

I'd like to see some proof to back this statement up!

Drive (quickly through an estate and count the satellite dishes.

Tim
Old July 22nd 03, 09:55 PM
Well-Tech Computer Centre

I suppose the obvious question is this, Ally:-
If you were starting up now, with all the experience you have, would you:
(a) Go ahead but do it differently from the way you are doing it?
(b) Not bother at all?
(c) Sell something completely different from computers?

Personally, if I were looking for a new career, I would go in for

something
socially-unacceptable - for example, drain clearance or a sex shop. You'll
make miles more money that way.

Geoff

I think I would probably sell something completely different if I was
starting from scratch right now. I still sell IT services and ther is money
in that still (but it's decreasing too). Strangely enough, I do also have an
online sex shop and it currently makes more profit than my pc components
business!! Having said all that, I was in pc's right from the start and
obviously it was a great game to be in a few years back, so I can't really
complain. Nothing lasts for ever. I'm sure there are lots of people who make
money out of PCs on here saying I'm talking ****e ! but I've found that it's
just to tough now, with a lot spent to generate a small profit.

Cheers,

Ally.

Old July 22nd 03, 10:35 PM
albert fish

Well-Tech Computer Centre wrote:

I think I would probably sell something completely different if I was
starting from scratch right now. I still sell IT services and ther is
money in that still (but it's decreasing too). Strangely enough, I do
also have an online sex shop and it currently makes more profit than
my pc components business!!

is it an afilliate ? I'm strongly considering opening one, would you mind
me picking your brain via email ?

Having said all that, I was in pc's right
from the start and obviously it was a great game to be in a few years
back, so I can't really complain. Nothing lasts for ever. I'm sure
there are lots of people who make money out of PCs on here saying I'm
talking ****e ! but I've found that it's just to tough now, with a
lot spent to generate a small profit.

Cheers,

Ally.

agreed.

Consumer IT services are more lucrative than new build consumer
Hardware but it takes a very determined individual to call one back for
a course of lessons on how to solve all the problems they encounter
and, annoyingly, that kind of person is usually well capable of doing
their own dirty work.

Business to Business is services + leased HW = ££ but it's a tough market
for a one man startup without a friendly bank manager for payroll or enough
[riskable] capital to see one through the first year trading. then there's legal
fees for teh contracts, insurance, transportation, the accountant.......

then there's females and a social life ..

the OP is well advised to get a job in computers as it's not funny out there :-)

Albert

Old July 22nd 03, 11:12 PM
Well-Tech Computer Centre

is it an afilliate ? I'm strongly considering opening one, would you mind
me picking your brain via email ?

No, it's not an afilliate. I did it myself with a Perl shopping cart package
and a little bit of imagination. Feel free to ask anything you want via
email. Remove the spam trap !!

Cheers,

Ally.

Old July 23rd 03, 09:07 PM
a1essex.com

Martin Nike wrote:
That will be part of the stratagy, but you would be surprised about
the profile of people who spend money on consumer goods. It's the
Council estates that have the latest W/Screen TVs, the first to have
Satellite TV, the council estate kids, the first to have the latest
fashionable clothes....

I'd like to see some proof to back this statement up!

a lot of people live in council houses while having rent paid by the
taxpayer, if not they pay low rent say £60/70 a week for a 3 bed house, some
work legally and earn good money and pay low rent, others work illegally and
earn cash in hand and pay no rent ect, this is why they have all the quality
bits in there house, some do have Daweoo TV's Some have Sony, some are from
a shop, others are off the back of alorry, but its true, there are not many
council housed residents ive visted in my life who live in the poverty
people make out, and ive been to a fiar few.

andy

Old July 25th 03, 07:22 PM
lbockhed

"Gaz" wrote in message

"Osprey" wrote in message

"Gaz" wrote in message
About to embark, over the next month, on a local advertising campaign

for
economical, but attractive system builds, will be targeting primarily

local
residential/family/first time consumers.

Don't bother you've no chance of making a living IMHO.

I bet thats what BA said to Richard Branson..........

I have been trading for aprox a month as PC Repair business, this is part

of
my plan to increase the knowledge of the company existance.
more then my previous job. No one locally, yet, is marketing themselves,

the
margins on complete system sales, when taking into account support, are

not
to bad, due to presently low overheads. My only real competition are
Time/Tiny and PCWorld. And, if I picked up 1/2% of their custom, they
wouldnt notice, and I would be kept busy full time.

Now I know one of the major factors that have an impact on the

consumers
Now then, do any of the finance houses deal with small business, by

small
mean between 5 and 20 systems per month.

Won't need this small business IMHO.

In a market place, where a demand exists, you will almost always find a
supply.

Not a hope in hell of getting "Commission from a finance house."

I know that the offering of 0% free interest attracts me to purchase

items,
I know it would attract others................

0% finance deals will cost you (the retailer) lots, something like
5%........for small retailers they are the last straw to secure a
purchase...for large retailers they are for high profit goods

your 18.9% apr is where you will make a crust.....but now with all the
advertising people know this is a rip off......unless you wanna call
yourself "YES PC CREDIT"

dont expect repeat business.....each time someone sees you in the street
they will think, i'm still paying him

Old August 9th 03, 09:13 PM
Simon

"Well-Tech Computer Centre" wrote in message
is it an afilliate ? I'm strongly considering opening one, would you

mind
me picking your brain via email ?

No, it's not an afilliate. I did it myself with a Perl shopping cart

package
and a little bit of imagination. Feel free to ask anything you want via
email. Remove the spam trap !!

Cheers,

Ally.

Dont you use http://www.redinteractive.com/ for your web site
how many £ is it a week now? it was £15 last year

Old August 9th 03, 11:05 PM
Well-Tech Computer Centre

Dont you use http://www.redinteractive.com/ for your web site
how many £ is it a week now? it was £15 last year

I use them for my pc components site. It wasn't 15 a month last year, cause
I've had mine since they opened (after 3 years of doing my own and not
having enough hours in a day to keep it up to date). Its £160 odds per month
excl VAT.

In your original mail you were asking about the 'adult toys' site, which is
done with a perl shoipping cart script, clickcartpro.

Cheers,

Ally.