Replace individual DVD and CD Read/Write

Old December 17th 04, 02:26 AM
Turner Morgan

Default Replace individual DVD and CD Read/Write

All,

I have a Gateway 700XL, purchased about two years ago, and am considering
replacing the individual DVD (RAM, -R) and CD RW drives with one of the
newer DVD/CD combo drives that handles just about any disc format (except,
it seems, DVD RAM).

If I do this, can I call Gateway and get the plastic cover plate for the
hole that will be left if I remove the two drives? Is there a special
number for Gateway parts? The Gateway site on the internet doesn't seem to
go deep enough to get to that small a part. Maybe I just don't know how to
get there.

Should I even consider this? The machine is plenty fast (2.4 GHz, or
thereabouts) with a Gig of RAM. It was one of the early "Multimedia"
computers. But is it old enough that it might present problems trying to
figure out which drive does what? If I decide to leave the DVD RAM drive
in, should I put the combo drive in the CD RW slot, or reverse them? The
computer can boot from the CD drive so does it matter which "slot" the CD
drive is in?

It is using Windows XP Pro.

Regards,

Turner

Old December 17th 04, 04:44 PM
Fireclown

Turner,

Many folks prefer to have a DVD reader for "ripping" to take some of the
burden off of your burner. So I'd recommend that you just replace the CD
burner. Use the same slot, but make sure that it is jumpered the same
way as the drive you removed (master/slave). If you buy a retail drive,
that information should be included with it.

Fireclown