How come my old Windows 98's DOS boots don't see my DVD-ROM driveanymore?

Old January 2nd 09, 12:40 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.cd-rom
Ant

Default How come my old Windows 98's DOS boots don't see my DVD-ROM driveanymore?

Hi!

Since I still have Toshiba DVD-ROM drive and it works in Windows XP,
shouldn't it work in DOS boot with its old oakcdrom.sys driver? Or did
my new MSI motherboard change the rules for using IDE CD/DVD-ROM drives?
CMOS sees the drive just fine under primary master (the only IDE drive
too) and running bootable CDs, but DOS boot doesn't see it. However,
Norton Ghost 2003 DOS can see it. Am I missing something else? It has
been a while since I used DOS boot with its CD support.

The reason why I asked is I wanted to upgrade its firmware to a newer
version that is supposedly can read DVD+RWs. Somehow, the updater
doesn't see any IDE drives. I was following
http://hijacker.rpc1.org/toshiba_nolimit/#Download instructions. And
it looks like DOS doesn't see the drive either. Ugh!

You can see http://alpha.zimage.com/~ant/antfarm.../computers.txt for
the primary computer specifications. Thank you in advance.
--
"If they are offered winged ants, people will eat them." --African
/\___/\
\ _ / Nuke ANT from e-mail address: NT
( ) or

Old January 2nd 09, 01:28 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.cd-rom
Ed Light

Try XP DOS. A command prompt window, or boot into safe mode command prompt.

--
Ed Light

Better World News TV Channel:
http://realnews.com

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org
http://antiwar.com

Iraq Veterans Against the War:
http://ivaw.org
http://couragetoresist.org

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.
Old January 2nd 09, 01:57 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.cd-rom
Ed Light

If you have to boot from a floppy, XP can make a boot floppy when
formatting.

Old January 2nd 09, 07:41 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.cd-rom
Ant

On 1/2/2009 5:57 AM PT, Ed Light typed:

If you have to boot from a floppy, XP can make a boot floppy when
formatting.

So I can't use my 3.5" Windows 98 boot disk and bootable PC-DOS?
Interesting. I will try XP's boot disk then.
--
"I like ants, in chocolate. Crunch, hummmm." --unknown
/\___/\

Old January 2nd 09, 09:33 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.cd-rom
Ant

On 1/2/2009 11:41 AM PT, Ant typed:

If you have to boot from a floppy, XP can make a boot floppy when
formatting.

So I can't use my 3.5" Windows 98 boot disk and bootable PC-DOS?
Interesting. I will try XP's boot disk then.

So I tried again including XP Pro. SP3's bootable 3.5" disk (it made a
Windows ME boot disk). No go. Remember, I even tested DOS boot with
oakcdrom.sys and mscdex.exe. They didn't find my DVD-ROM drive either
which is WEIRD!!!

Someone suggested to try from Windows XP's boot CD for its recovery
console, but I can't run any executable files (update.bat, *.exe, and
*.com). Bah! What the heck?
--
"It is certain that there may be extraordinary mental activity with an
extremely small absolute mass of nervous matter: thus the wonderfully

Old January 2nd 09, 09:34 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.cd-rom
Ant

On 1/2/2009 5:28 AM PT, Ed Light typed:

Try XP DOS. A command prompt window, or boot into safe mode command prompt.

This won't work since it wants pure DOS. Remember, this drive (2001?)
and flash tool (2003) are old. Also, see
http://hijacker.rpc1.org/toshiba_nolimit/#Download ...
--
"Not all ants use violence to dominate their world, some use more subtle
methods..." --E.O. Wilson on NOVA

Old January 2nd 09, 09:56 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.cd-rom
Ant

On 1/2/2009 1:33 PM PT, Ant typed:

If you have to boot from a floppy, XP can make a boot floppy when
formatting.

So I can't use my 3.5" Windows 98 boot disk and bootable PC-DOS?
Interesting. I will try XP's boot disk then.

So I tried again including XP Pro. SP3's bootable 3.5" disk (it made a
Windows ME boot disk). No go. Remember, I even tested DOS boot with
oakcdrom.sys and mscdex.exe. They didn't find my DVD-ROM drive either
which is WEIRD!!!

Someone suggested to try from Windows XP's boot CD for its recovery
console, but I can't run any executable files (update.bat, *.exe, and
*.com). Bah! What the heck?

I tested that 3.5" disk in VMware v4.5.3 on the same PC and it was fine:
http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/935...kwithoasq7.gif ...
Of course, it wasn't the same hardware (e.g., motherboard and drives).
--
"Look not to the windmill's turning while the ant still burrows." --unknown
/\___/\

Old January 2nd 09, 11:01 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.cd-rom
Ant

http://forum.msi.com.tw/index.php?topic=122897.0

IDE controller on the mobo.! I got its driver to work, but the old
DVD-ROM firmware upgrader still doesn't see the drive. Damnit.

On 1/2/2009 4:40 AM PT, Ant typed:

[...]

"I could crush him like an ant. But it would be too easy. No, revenge is
a dish best served cold. I'll bide my time until... Oh, what the hell,
I'll just crush him like an ant." --Mr. Burns, The Simpsons ("Blood
Feud" Episode 7F22)
/\___/\

Old January 2nd 09, 11:06 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.cd-rom
Ed Light

I've run out of ideas. Maybe a DOS driver guru is reading this thread.

Old January 2nd 09, 11:10 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.cd-rom
Ant

On 1/2/2009 3:06 PM PT, Ed Light typed:

I've run out of ideas. Maybe a DOS driver guru is reading this thread.

See my 3:01 PM PST post. It was a DOS driver issue.
--
"Though your enemy is the size of an ant, look upon him as an elephant."
--Danish