What makes a reseller good?

Old August 9th 03, 05:11 PM
Paul Hopwood

"tHatDudeUK" wrote:

Taking the post I was replying to as an example, I could walk into my
local computer shop now and walk away with an LG DVD-ROM drive at a
cost of £33.69. The same drive is priced at £32.50 from Dabs.com,
which is marginally lower, but the cost *delivered*, using their
"free" 1-3 day delivery, is £36.02.

This is where I'd go for a Lite-on OEM (£35.50 inc vat and delivery) or even
LG OEM (£30.02 inc vat and delivery ebuyer.com)

Still, coming back to the original point, it's hardly worth going mail
order on something like this. £3 saving with a 3 day wait from a
company which uses the worst courier company known to man and
reputation for dodgy after-sales service, opposed to walking out of
shop within minutes of placing the order and being able to return it
in person if it goes wrong.

Perhaps West Yorkshire is crap for PC shops then :-) One of the few
nationally acclaimed one's I can think of is CCL but I tend to find they
have a limited range. Maybe it's always worth looking and considering
though.

Derby isn't too bad, but I think the nature of retail outlets is that
they'll always have less of a range to choose from. My local shop,
Zodiac Computers, is reasonably priced and tends to stock most things,
but doesn't have a wide the range of manufacturers or models.

That said, I find even PC Worlds component centre is reasonably
competitive and favourable to waiting for stuff to come through the
post for smaller orders.

I wouldn't dream of building a machine from parts brought from local
shops; besides the extra cost they don't have enough of a range to
choose from, but I rarely bother with mail order if I need one or two
components worth less than about £100.

--
iv Paul iv

[ Mail: ]