Compaq Presario 7470 MODEM DRIVER (help!!!)

Old May 3rd 04, 12:55 AM
Garrett C.

Default Compaq Presario 7470 MODEM DRIVER (help!!!)

The only thing on the Compaq website is a crappy 180K "Modem driver
fix" file - this is not the driver. I just reformatted a
family's computer, but it's been three weeks that they've been
offline, because I've spent the last two trying find a friggin' MODEM
driver! Everything else is up to par, but I cannot find it!

I've tried generic "56K Modem Drivers" and I also read that Compaq
generally uses either Conexant or PCTel modems, and tried generic
drivers for both of those chipsets and neither would detect the modem,
I still just see "PCI Card" in the device manager. Please help me get
this.

I need a Windows 98SE driver for the MODEM in the Compaq Presario
7470... if you find more than one, tell me where and I'll try them
all - if several individuals find one each, please, anyone who can
list them and I'll try anything I can get my hands on.

Any and all help is appreciated,
Garrett C.
Old May 3rd 04, 09:19 AM
Seth

give this a whirl: ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/softpaq/sp1...00/sp16793.exe
It's 1.42MB in size.

for reference, i got it from he
http://www.modem-help.com/mfcs.php?mid=46&nid=6162. It has links for 3
drivers: the fix that you mentioned, the driver i posted above and
another thats 1.2MB in size though i havent tried the link.

Best regards.
Old May 3rd 04, 03:07 PM
Aaron

(Garrett C.) wrote in message . com...
[...]

I had the same problem. You have to get the modem card out, look at
it, and write down all of the numbers on the chips that are on it.
Look for a Rockwell chip, or Motorola, or something. Then go to
driverguide.com with username "drivers" and password "all". Then plug
in you numbers into search, and look around to verify that that is the
right one. This driver problem really irked me.

I have a problem with the System Restore CDs that manufacturers
provide with new computers. In my opinion, they should come with an
actual Windows disk, so that I can use upgrade editions of XP, etc.
Then, the drivers should be on a separate disk, that will do autorun,
and automatically install them.

The only company I have seen do this is Gateway, and it was really
nice when I reformatted a bunch of computers for my dad's office.
Drivers, etc. were all there.

Happy driver finding,
Aaron
Old May 3rd 04, 05:45 PM
Garrett C.

Thanks very much - I'll give these a shot. I won't be able to try
until this weekend, so if more links are posted, I'll take'em!
Thanks a ton for these, though, they really look like they WILL work!

Garrett C.
Old May 3rd 04, 07:00 PM
Ron Cook

Old May 4th 04, 07:17 AM
Garrett C.

The thought of adding new hardware had crossed my mind, but I am just
helping the family get the computer up and running again, they live
somewhat far out of town, so their modem only runs @ about 26K
anyways, buying a true hardware modem wouldn't yield much change for
them, as all they do is check e-mail once or twice a day.

And as far as yanking the card and checking numbers, I thought of
that, too - but I'd hoped maybe this would just make things go easier,
than going on a quest for drivers based on hardware numbers - I
figured just searching for generic Presario 7470 drivers would be my
best start, then if all else fails, open'er up (what a mess that's
gonna be, three years old in a dusty "windows open in the summer"
environment) and check numbers.

Thanks for all of these suggestions, though, guys! You're a really
great group to throw out your ideas, I appreciate everything! I hope
to have all of this DONE by this weekend with some of the drivers Seth
suggested.

Garrett C.

Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 December 4th 04 12:22 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 July 24th 04 02:30 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 July 3rd 04 04:25 AM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 June 27th 04 06:21 PM
Compaq user diagnostics diskette bananaboat Compaq Computers 3 April 21st 04 03:05 AM