Should I buy a new Dell now or wait for Windows 7?

Old January 11th 09, 08:42 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
NoSpam

Default Should I buy a new Dell now or wait for Windows 7?

Hi,

I am using Windows XP Pro and have not even seen Windows Vista.

Right now I have the following:

XPS Dimension 700 (about 2 1/2 years old)
Intel Core 2 Duo
E6300 @ 1.86 GHz
2GB Ram

Right now I'm looking at the following:

XPS 630
Intel Core 2 Quad
Q9550 @ 2.83 GHz
4GB Ram

question Should I get this system now OR should I just bite the bullet
and get a system with Windows 7 at the end of the year?

thanks

Old January 11th 09, 08:51 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Colin Wilson

question Should I get this system now OR should I just bite the bullet
and get a system with Windows 7 at the end of the year?

What does your current system do that you want, and is it compatible
with vista ?

In a rush to spend money ?
Old January 11th 09, 10:23 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Colin Wilson

I have 3 programs that I don't want to get rid of, Sidekick 98, Backup Plus
7.7.1, and ACDSee 5.0.

'fraid I can't help, i'm on XP / Ubuntu, but perhaps someone with
vista will be along soon :-}
Old January 11th 09, 11:14 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
NoSpam

In article ,
says...

[snip]

'fraid I can't help, i'm on XP / Ubuntu, but perhaps someone with
vista will be along soon :-}

Is there a huge difference in the horsepower of the 2 machines I listed?

Old January 11th 09, 11:38 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

Posted At: Sunday, January 11, 2009 2:43 PM
Posted To: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Conversation: Should I buy a new Dell now or wait for Windows 7?
Subject: Should I buy a new Dell now or wait for Windows 7?

Hi,

I am using Windows XP Pro and have not even seen Windows Vista.

Right now I have the following:

XPS Dimension 700 (about 2 1/2 years old)
Intel Core 2 Duo
E6300 @ 1.86 GHz
2GB Ram

Right now I'm looking at the following:

XPS 630
Intel Core 2 Quad
Q9550 @ 2.83 GHz
4GB Ram

question Should I get this system now OR should I just bite the bullet

and get a system with Windows 7 at the end of the year?

Thanks

Why are you upgrading? If you need a new machine now, buy a new machine
now. If not, wait. Windows 7 should be better than Vista, but dare I
say not as good as XP.

I'm running it on the machine on which I am typing and it appears to be
Vista under a new name.

Old January 11th 09, 11:45 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_2_]

[...]

Why am I not surprised? It's an age-old marketing tactic to change the
name of an unpopular product. Didn't Machiavelli write about it once?
Or was it Sun Tzu? ... Ben Myers

.... Ben Myers
Old January 12th 09, 01:43 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

Posted At: Sunday, January 11, 2009 5:45 PM

[...]

I'd say the Art of War is the more appropriate of the two.