Need Advice Buying a Large Monitor

Old November 22nd 08, 01:24 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Tom

Default Need Advice Buying a Large Monitor

Hi, I'm going to buy a 24" monitor to be used with my Dell SX-270 PC with
2gb ram and onboard video out.
The Dell 2408WFP seems to be the top rated 24" monitor out there. I went to
a local best buy to compare monitors but they seemed to have low end
monitors on display. (the 25.5 " monitor sure looks like).

I'll use the monitor for web browsing, displaying flight simulator and maybe
watching movies.
The Response Time is 6ms which is somewhat slow when compared to other
monitors. Will it display BluRay movies?
1 x HDMI - 19 pin HDMI Type A

I'm not sure this HDMI connection will display BluRay

Any recommendations for other large screen monitors at least 24" wide
screen, though the Dell 2408wfp seems to get the best reviews. Any
criticisms of the Dell 2408WFP?

The minotr sells for about $500.00 any sources for discount coupons or ther
deals?

I'll want to upgrade trhe onboard video to a video card - any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Old November 22nd 08, 02:06 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
richard

On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 20:24:19 -0500, "Tom"
wrote:

[...]

I've been kind of thinking of putting a nice big monitor in the back
window of my SUV. Then when some dickhead comes up to close I can
just press a button and he can see what I think of his driving.

Never really did think much of Dell's monitors. I have an HP 17"
widescreen I like though.

Old November 22nd 08, 02:45 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
chuckcar[_2_]

"Tom" wrote in :

[...]

Two questions to get a straight answer for: 1. what's the dot pitch
(measured in hundreds of a mm)? 2. What is the minimum number of
dot failures required for warrenty (free) replacement?

You don't *get* dot failure with CRT's. They also last longer and have a
lower dot pitch, hence higher resolution per inch.

BTW *always* use a followup group unless you're going to check every one
of those groups you crossposted to.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
Old November 22nd 08, 02:48 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Christopher Muto

no cross posting please.

nice monitor, $517 is the current price, or $449 from the outlet store.
hp also has a nice 24" that hpshopping.com sells for $469. it has
integrated speakers (spakers for the dell are an add on speaker bar that
clips to the bottom edge of the lcd panel) and it has a clunkier leg, but
the leg provides more flexibility is positioning the display than the dell
leg does. hp also has a 25" for $549.

Old November 22nd 08, 04:55 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Holend

Will this be your primary desktop monitor for your PC or do you pland to use
it as a home theatre?

Old November 22nd 08, 06:13 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
olfart

wrote:

[...]

you mean....."when *another dickhead comes up close*......"

Old November 22nd 08, 06:48 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Journey

wrote:

Hi, I'm going to buy a 24" monitor to be used with my Dell SX-270 PC with
2gb ram and onboard video out.
The Dell 2408WFP seems to be the top rated 24" monitor out there. I went to
a local best buy to compare monitors but they seemed to have low end
monitors on display. (the 25.5 " monitor sure looks like).

I'll use the monitor for web browsing, displaying flight simulator and maybe
watching movies.
The Response Time is 6ms which is somewhat slow when compared to other
monitors. Will it display BluRay movies?
1 x HDMI - 19 pin HDMI Type A

I have the 2408WFP and love it. If I would have known, I would have
waited to get the new 27" monitor which is $699 when it's on sale.
Old November 22nd 08, 01:07 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Dave

"Holend" wrote in message
om...
I would disable the onboard video and add a nice video card,,, PCI Express

His computer doesn't seem to have any expansion slots at all...no AGP,
PCI-Express, or PCI either. -Dave

Old November 22nd 08, 01:52 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
HEMI-Powered

Tom added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

Hi, I'm going to buy a 24" monitor to be used with my Dell
SX-270 PC with 2gb ram and onboard video out.
The Dell 2408WFP seems to be the top rated 24" monitor out
there. I went to a local best buy to compare monitors but
they seemed to have low end monitors on display. (the 25.5 "
monitor sure looks like).

Don't rely on ratings. They do not at all represent your needs nor
do they predict what YOU will see. Best to bring a camera memory
card with you with some images or whatever kinds of data you want
to use to the store and "encourage" them to show you the monitor(s)
you're interested in using YOUR data and NOT canned video the store
provides.

And, be sure to ask what resolutions are supported besides the
16:10 wide-screen natural resolution. Also, look at Samsung.

I'll use the monitor for web browsing, displaying flight
simulator and maybe watching movies.
The Response Time is 6ms which is somewhat slow when compared
to other monitors. Will it display BluRay movies?
1 x HDMI - 19 pin HDMI Type A

I'm not sure this HDMI connection will display BluRay

Any recommendations for other large screen monitors at least
24" wide screen, though the Dell 2408wfp seems to get the best
reviews. Any criticisms of the Dell 2408WFP?

The minotr sells for about $500.00 any sources for discount
coupons or ther deals?

I'll want to upgrade trhe onboard video to a video card - any
suggestions?

--
HP, aka Jerry

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained
by stupidity!" - Hanlon's Razor