Replace VCR with Dell desktop running Vista Ultimate and dual TV cards?

Old November 9th 08, 09:26 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Default Replace VCR with Dell desktop running Vista Ultimate and dual TV cards?

How viable would it be to replace my VCR with a Dell desktop running Vista
Ultimate and dual TV cards? I need to replace the VCR and would like to
record to a hard drive rather than tape. Has anyone done this and would you
like to share your experience?
Thanks

Old November 10th 08, 12:45 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Justbob30[_2_]

Actually, I am considering the same thing, except I have vista home 32 &
want to run hdtv cards & use an external h/d as a dvr then media stream to
my hdtv in the other room.

Old November 10th 08, 02:54 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

I find Snapstream's BeyondTV to be a better TV choice. Media Center
works, but records to a DRM-secured format.

Posted At: Sunday, November 09, 2008 6:46 PM
Posted To: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Conversation: Replace VCR with Dell desktop running Vista Ultimate and
dual TV cards?
Subject: Replace VCR with Dell desktop running Vista Ultimate and
dual TV cards?

Actually, I am considering the same thing, except I have vista home 32
&

Old November 10th 08, 08:12 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

I am not really that bothered what software is used, I would even by happy
with Linux if it does the job. What I would like is for the PC to go into
some kind of standby so it does sit there fans wiring and draining power
24/7 when its not being used.

Old November 11th 08, 12:16 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

Can't comment in Media Center, but BeyondTV does that. Wakes up 60
seconds before the show, records it, does any post processing and goes
back to sleep.

Old November 22nd 08, 06:40 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Journey

On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 20:12:30 -0000, "M"
wrote:

am not really that bothered what software is used, I would even by happy
with Linux if it does the job. What I would like is for the PC to go into
some kind of standby so it does sit there fans wiring and draining power
24/7 when its not being used.

If you're open to other OS's like your post says, you may want to
consider a Mac Mini in January after they are upgraded (likely to
happen).

I use a MacBook as a PVR with dual HDTV tuners (USB) and it records
without a hiccup. With Elgato's EyeTV software, both tuners can be
used at the same time, recorded from at the same time, and you can use
picture-in-picture from one tuner's window inside the other.

I also use a Hauppauge PVR (older one, not HDTV) on my Windows desktop
with Beyond TV. As Tom mentioned, there are some advantages to Beyond
TV compared to Windows Media Center.

OT -- remote control of a dell computer running VISTA Jay B Dell Computers 6 September 19th 07 07:12 AM
Vista Ultimate Journey Dell Computers 6 September 2nd 07 11:23 PM
Vista Ultimate Purchase and Use Journey Dell Computers 24 August 16th 07 10:05 PM
P5B Deluxe and Vista Ultimate Bill Davis Jr Asus Motherboards 7 February 13th 07 06:28 PM
New Dell 9100 Desktop with BTX + Dual-Core! rmm Dell Computers 11 May 28th 05 05:25 PM