UPDATE: Mystery Dial Up (long time "Logging on to network")

Old September 28th 06, 06:59 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Brad

Default UPDATE: Mystery Dial Up (long time "Logging on to network")

Hi,

Thanks to everyone (especially Charlie R) who responded. I tried glee's
procedure in part, there was no "Quick Logon" in mine. It didn't work.

I used the link (see below) presented to me by Charlie R. What really
fixed my problem, I unchecked "Log On To Network". WOW! Now
I can log on in a "flash"!

Brad

From (thanks) www.altohiway.com/cgi-bin/knowledge/147.html :

As default, Windows 9x sets options on a Dial-Up account which aren't
actually necessary. This can often cause the "Verifying Username and
Password" to take a very long time.

The solution is to follow the below steps:

1 - Double-click My Computer

2 - Double-click Dial Up Networking

3 - Right click on the Dial Up Connection you use, and click Properties

4 - Click on the Server Types tab

5 - Uncheck 'Log On To Network', 'NetBEUI' and 'IPX/SPX Compatible'

6 - Click OK

7 - Dial up again. You should find that the logging in process is now much
quicker.

On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 17:49:27 GMT, you wrote:

Hi,

I recently bought a used Toshiba "Satellite" 2105CDS (WIN98se) laptop.
After I downloaded the drivers for this model from Toshiba's site, I formatted
the HDD and installed Win98SE (not from a "System Restore" CD).
I installed the drivers. Everything is fine, but the dial up connection
(using internal 56K modem). Unlike my other Win98 computers, when I
"connect" (via "Dialer"), "Connect" and "Confirming password" is normal
(quick). "Logging on to network" takes a long time before this is finished
(Dialer window closes and small icon appears in System Tray). I have tried
several times on different days. My other slower computer, doesn't have this
problem. Note: Afterwards, I have no trouble browsing and downloading
(download speed is always fast for dial up).

As a test, I installed a new PC card modem and it's driver. Using
that modem, I still have the same problem!

I called Toshiba tech support and he told me to check settings and compare
them to the other computer. I already did that. Do you have any idea what
might be causing this?

Thanks in advance, Brad

be sure there is no active keystroke logger (spyware) in your PC.

Modem Problems JH General 5 February 2nd 04 07:46 PM
external 56k modem-doesn't move for long time periods Jin General 0 January 7th 04 07:34 AM
Happy Birthday America SST Overclocking 333 November 27th 03 07:54 PM
Happy Birthday America SST Overclocking AMD Processors 326 November 27th 03 07:54 PM
Get the Serial Number with Visual Basic Michael Wittmann General 15 November 15th 03 06:03 PM