need recommendation for tv tuner for WMC + Ton Scales et al.

Old March 11th 09, 01:58 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
WSZsr

Default need recommendation for tv tuner for WMC + Ton Scales et al.

I would like to get a tv tuner that pulls in unencrypted QAM HDTV that will
work with Vista media Center so I can stream it to my TV via my Xbox 360.
Is there such a beast? Internal is preferred but I would consider a USB
tuner.

Thanks

Old March 11th 09, 11:38 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

As long as you truly mean unencrypted, then look at the Hauppauge line.
HVR-2250 is a dual tuner QAM.

Another outstanding option is Silicondust's HDHomerun. Connects over
your home network.

Tom

Old March 12th 09, 12:52 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

I don't recommend the Dvico Fusions anymore. I've had too much trouble
with them.

Old March 12th 09, 12:53 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

Make sure you read the specs. I don't use Media Center. Pretty sure
the answer is yes for both.

Old March 12th 09, 03:58 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Journey

On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 08:58:16 -0500, "WSZsr"
wrote:

I would like to get a tv tuner that pulls in unencrypted QAM HDTV that will
work with Vista media Center so I can stream it to my TV via my Xbox 360.
Is there such a beast? Internal is preferred but I would consider a USB
tuner.

Thanks

I have see some at Best Buy. Hauppauge has been a good brand for me
in the past although at times the software setup was buggy and I had
to jump through hoops to get it to work.

I am in both the PC and Mac world. On my Mac I have two USB tuners,
and I have been able to record QAM HDTV from both at the same time
while doing other intensive tasks such as watching a movie. The
system never stutters -- blows my mind how well it works.

Pinnacle and Elgato have been good brands for the Mac world. I know
Pinnacle offers a USB tuner so maybe it will work as well on the PC.

With the USB tuners, the way they are set up I have to choose either
QAM HDTV OR Cable -- there is only one place to attach the cable or
the antenna.

Hopefully the PC will handle it as flawlessly with whatever version of
Vista you require for your needs (I think Home Premium or Ultimate).
Old March 12th 09, 10:50 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

Posted At: Wednesday, March 11, 2009 10:59 PM

wrote:

[...]

I'm a little confused. QAM IS Cable. Perhaps you're thinking ATSC
(over the air) vs. Cable?

Your Mac doesn't surprise me. I have tested as many as 11 tuners
concurrently in a Dell 8400 -- 6 HD and 5 SD. All writing to a single
SATA150 hard drive. Works fine.

Old March 12th 09, 12:35 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Journey

On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 10:50:20 GMT, "Tom Scales"
wrote:

I'm a little confused. QAM IS Cable. Perhaps you're thinking ATSC
(over the air) vs. Cable?

Your Mac doesn't surprise me. I have tested as many as 11 tuners
concurrently in a Dell 8400 -- 6 HD and 5 SD. All writing to a single
SATA150 hard drive. Works fine.

Doh! Thanks Tom. Yes, I was thinking ATSC, thanks for correcting me.
Also, good to hear that concurrent tuners work well in the PC world
too.