SSD drives -- anyone have experience?

Old March 12th 09, 04:10 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Journey

Default SSD drives -- anyone have experience?

I am considering a SSD drive for either my Lenovo ThinkPad T61 or
MacBook.

The one that seems to have good reviews on Amazon is:

http://tinyurl.com/cpoxf6

Any opinions, any better recommendation?

I want more speed and better battery life, but I don't want to be on
the bleeding edge of technology.
Old March 12th 09, 10:51 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

Old March 12th 09, 12:37 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Journey

On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 10:51:30 GMT, "Tom Scales"

Posted At: Wednesday, March 11, 2009 11:11 PM
Posted To: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Conversation: SSD drives -- anyone have experience?

I am considering a SSD drive for either my Lenovo ThinkPad T61 or
MacBook.

The one that seems to have good reviews on Amazon is:

http://tinyurl.com/cpoxf6

Any opinions, any better recommendation?

I want more speed and better battery life, but I don't want to be on
the bleeding edge of technology.

Not worth the money. The speed difference, if any, is elusive. Some
are slower, so be careful. The affordable ones are generally slower.

It's bet you won't see more than 1-2% battery life improvement either.

I wouldn't do it.

Thanks -- I had higher expectations for SSD but it appears the
advantages are minimal.

I think I will hold off until it comes with my next laptop. I have a
few years of extended warranty on my laptops still so that won't be a
while.
Old March 13th 09, 05:15 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
BillW50

In ,
journey typed on Thu, 12 Mar 2009 07:37:49 -0500:
Thanks -- I had higher expectations for SSD but it appears the
advantages are minimal.

I think I will hold off until it comes with my next laptop. I have a
few years of extended warranty on my laptops still so that won't be a
while.

I like working from my lap a lot. And hard drives doesn't like being
moved around a lot and can suffer from head crashes. Although I don't
have to worry about that on my SSD based machines. And I like that a
lot.

--
Bill
2 Gateway MX6124 - Windows XP SP2