Are You Still Buying a 2nd Hard Drive?

Old November 18th 08, 09:44 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Daddy[_3_]

Default Are You Still Buying a 2nd Hard Drive?

Another 'what is your opinion' question:

Given how big and how fast today's hard drives are...is there a need for
a 2nd internal hard drive (unless you're interested in RAID)? I can see
my next PC with one internal hard drive and an external hard drive (or
two) for backups and maybe NAS.

Daddy
Old November 18th 08, 10:50 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Bob Levine[_5_]

Daddy wrote:
Another 'what is your opinion' question:

Given how big and how fast today's hard drives are...is there a need for
a 2nd internal hard drive (unless you're interested in RAID)? I can see
my next PC with one internal hard drive and an external hard drive (or
two) for backups and maybe NAS.

Daddy

Depends on what you're doing. For Photoshop work a second harddrive for
scratch space increases performance.

Bob
Old November 19th 08, 12:51 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
William R. Walsh

Hi!

Another 'what is your opinion' question:

When I bought my Dimension 8300, I added a second hard disk to it shortly
afterwards. It's been invaluable as a good place to keep my VMware virtual
machines along with a few complete backups of the system.

Had I not been doing that, the single drive would have been fine. The idea
to keep backups there came later.

William

Old November 21st 08, 08:17 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Journey

On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 16:44:57 -0500, Daddy
wrote:

Another 'what is your opinion' question:

Given how big and how fast today's hard drives are...is there a need for
a 2nd internal hard drive (unless you're interested in RAID)? I can see
my next PC with one internal hard drive and an external hard drive (or
two) for backups and maybe NAS.

Daddy

I like to have at least two hard drives and put the swap file on the
2nd one.

My XPS 410 has four hard drives because I use my computer as a PVR and
for other multimedia functions.

At first I added 250 GB hard drives as I needed space. Now I am
replacing the 250 GB drives with 1 TB drives as needed.

The Thermaltake BlacX is a docking device that is useful for using the
older drives for storage and backup (plug and play 2.5 and 3.5" SATA
drives).

http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Products.aspx?C=1346
Old November 23rd 08, 03:56 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
William R. Walsh

Hi!

"journey" wrote in message

Well, where have *you* been?

William

Old November 23rd 08, 02:44 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR[_2_]

On Sun, 23 Nov 2008 03:56:46 GMT, "William R. Walsh"
m wrote:

Hi!

"journey" wrote in message

.. .

Well, where have *you* been?

William

I was wondering the same thing. I bet he's in the mac groups
nowadays grin ????
Old November 24th 08, 02:15 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Paul Knudsen[_2_]

On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 02:17:56 -0600, journey wrote:

Another 'what is your opinion' question:

Given how big and how fast today's hard drives are...is there a need for
a 2nd internal hard drive (unless you're interested in RAID)? I can see
my next PC with one internal hard drive and an external hard drive (or
two) for backups and maybe NAS.

Sure! You can never how too much storage, right?
Old November 25th 08, 06:44 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Journey

On Sun, 23 Nov 2008 08:44:04 -0600, RnR wrote:

On Sun, 23 Nov 2008 03:56:46 GMT, "William R. Walsh"
om wrote:

Hi!

"journey" wrote in message

. ..

Well, where have *you* been?

William

I was wondering the same thing. I bet he's in the mac groups
nowadays grin ????

Hi -- thanks William and RnR for asking!

Other things have been taking priority but I'll still keep up with
this group from time to time. Even if I am not as Dell-oriented as I
used to be, I learn a lot here about PCs in general.

My preferred laptop is a ThinkPad. My preferred desktop is still a
Dell -- something like the XPS 420 or higher. My 410 should get me
through a few more years, or I may just keep replacing things and have
a current work-in-progress. The thought of building a PC isn't nearly
as daunting as it was before I started learning some things here.

I like my MacBook too but Apple still pursues its too-high pricing
policies.
Old November 25th 08, 02:04 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Bob Levine[_5_]

journey wrote:

I like my MacBook too but Apple still pursues its too-high pricing
policies.

Just bought one myself...new aluminum model. I needed a new laptop and
with the training and consulting I do, having Mac and Windows on one
machine is a big selling point.

It runs Vista great and the engineering on this thing is amazing. It
actually wasn't all that outlandish. I bought if from a reseller in Utah
who put in a 7200 RPM 320 gig HD and maxed out the RAM at 4 gigs.

Total price: $1549. Not cheap but I bought an OEM copy of Vista from
newegg and everything runs great. Only problem is the trackpad is flakey
in Windows.

Bob
Old November 25th 08, 04:47 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Journey

On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 09:04:00 -0500, Bob Levine
wrote:

journey wrote:

I like my MacBook too but Apple still pursues its too-high pricing
policies.

Just bought one myself...new aluminum model. I needed a new laptop and
with the training and consulting I do, having Mac and Windows on one
machine is a big selling point.

It runs Vista great and the engineering on this thing is amazing. It
actually wasn't all that outlandish. I bought if from a reseller in Utah
who put in a 7200 RPM 320 gig HD and maxed out the RAM at 4 gigs.

Total price: $1549. Not cheap but I bought an OEM copy of Vista from
newegg and everything runs great. Only problem is the trackpad is flakey
in Windows.

Bob

I upgraded my MacBook to 4GB of RAM, and the hard drive to a 7200rpm
320GB too. The Mac OSX can use all of the RAM and it is very stable.
I run Windows programs (XP Pro) concurrently using VMWare Fusion, and
the performance seems like I am using a dedicated Windows laptop. I
don't use it for games or heavy graphics programs but for everyday
apps like word processing, spreadsheet, etc. it works great.

I am amazed at how well it works as a HDTV tuner / PVR. I can connect
two USB tuners to it and use Elgato EyeTV 3 to record. I recorded the
entire Olympics in HD. There were some problems with the recordings
which I thought were due to over-taxing the laptop but later I learned
that I just needed a better HD antenna.

It will be interesting to see what Windows 7 will be like and if MS
mainly wants to make it a stable OS or if they will try to add
innovative features like the Mac OS has. Fortunately I find XP to be
stable enough and my foray into Vista was wasted time.