Need Advice Buying a Large Monitor

Old November 23rd 08, 07:35 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Weiss[_3_]

Default Need Advice Buying a Large Monitor

"Tom" wrote...

Very good points. Apparently my PC's built in graphics will only support 4x3
resolution so I going to buy a new PC as I need one anyway.

Are you sure? Make sure your Display tab isn't set to show only resolutions
supported by currently connected hardware...

Old November 23rd 08, 07:49 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
HEMI-Powered

geoff added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

The Dell 2408WFP

I bought one based on all the reviews I read because I wanted
to go larger. My previous monitor was a samsung which I was
very happy with.

The main problem out of the box was the brightness and the
reviews say that. At the 'out-of-the-box' brightness level, I
would get a headache quickly. The review sites tell you how to
adjust the monitor's rgb values to turn down the brightness.

Yeah, big time! I've noticed that ALL monitors and ALL TVs in
stores these days are really bright and really contrasty. I've
toned mine WAY down and it is still overly bright/contrasty which
makes it that much more difficult to properly post-process my
digital pictures.

The second thing I noticed is when looking at the screen out
of the side of my eyes, I notice some vibration which I did
not see with the samsung.

Don't see that with my 26" Samsung

The bottom line is, it took a few weeks to get used to the
monitor and at one point, I wondered if I was a victim of the
panel lottery.

--
HP, aka Jerry

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained
by stupidity!" - Hanlon's Razor

Old November 24th 08, 10:13 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Robert McMillan

"Tom" wrote in message ...

"Robert McMillan" wrote in message
"Tom" wrote in message

"Christopher Muto" wrote in message
no cross posting please.

nice monitor, $517 is the current price, or $449 from the outlet store.
hp also has a nice 24" that hpshopping.com sells for $469. it has
integrated speakers (spakers for the dell are an add on speaker bar
that clips to the bottom edge of the lcd panel) and it has a clunkier
leg, but the leg provides more flexibility is positioning the display
than the dell leg does. hp also has a 25" for $549.

The HP 24" didn't get quite the positive review the Dell 2408WFP got.

Not sure on the US pricing of this but I recently bought a Samsung 245B
24" LCD Monitor for AUS$400 and can say that it is great. Has a 3 year
zero dead pixel warranty, height adjustable, and a nice thin black bezel
so it looks good too.

Interesting. any problems with ghosting? other issues? I'm going to use
my new 24" monitor to display a flight simulator and possibly movies.

No problems with ghosting while watching videos, viewing angle seems to be
fairly good, though I am always in front of it. Have been playing Halo 2
with no issues, about to install Crysis and possible Flight Simulator X so I
will let you know how that goes when I get around to it.

Old November 24th 08, 09:30 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
chuckcar[_2_]

"geoff" wrote in
:

The Dell 2408WFP

I bought one based on all the reviews I read because I wanted to go
larger. My previous monitor was a samsung which I was very happy with.

The main problem out of the box was the brightness and the reviews say
that. At the 'out-of-the-box' brightness level, I would get a headache
quickly. The review sites tell you how to adjust the monitor's rgb
values to turn down the brightness.

The second thing I noticed is when looking at the screen out of the side
of my eyes, I notice some vibration which I did not see with the
samsung.

Try a combination of increasing what windows "calls" the refresh rate
and/or lowering resolution. It sounds like flicker.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
Old November 25th 08, 03:00 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

Posted At: Monday, November 24, 2008 3:30 PM
Posted To: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Conversation: Need Advice Buying a Large Monitor
Subject: Need Advice Buying a Large Monitor

"geoff" wrote in
:

[...]

That's not applicable to an LCD. The resolution should be set to
1920x1200. That is the ONLY resolution to set it to. Refresh rate is
meaningless.

Old November 25th 08, 06:38 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Journey

On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 18:49:27 -0500, "Tom"
wrote:

"journey" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 20:24:19 -0500, "Tom"
wrote:

I have the 2408WFP and love it. If I would have known, I would have
waited to get the new 27" monitor which is $699 when it's on sale.

Good news. Any problems the .6ms response time? Hmmmm. . .. 27" for
$699.00? ? ?

I think the response time is fine. You can't go wrong IMO with the
2408WFP and I would imagine the 27" one is even better.

I just replaced my video card with an ATI Radeon 4870 and see that it
might be able to support even higher resolutions so heck, I might even
consider an even bigger one.

But alas, the stock market hasn't been kind to me recently so that
must wait, for now!
Old November 25th 08, 12:10 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Tom

"John Weiss" wrote in message
"Tom" wrote...

Very good points. Apparently my PC's built in graphics will only support
4x3 resolution so I going to buy a new PC as I need one anyway.

Are you sure? Make sure your Display tab isn't set to show only
resolutions supported by currently connected hardware...

The following is a list of 32bit resolutions avaible from the built in
video:

800x600
1024x768
1152x864
1280x768
1280x1024
1600x1200

Old November 25th 08, 07:38 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

Tom wrote:
"John Weiss" wrote in message
"Tom" wrote...
Very good points. Apparently my PC's built in graphics will only support
4x3 resolution so I going to buy a new PC as I need one anyway.

Are you sure? Make sure your Display tab isn't set to show only
resolutions supported by currently connected hardware...

The following is a list of 32bit resolutions avaible from the built in
video:
800x600
1024x768
1152x864
1280x768
1280x1024
1600x1200

This is an archived page from the Intel site. Apparently the original
page is no longer available, but I found a copy.

http://web.archive.org/web/200701160.../CS-013743.htm

If that link doesn't work, the page was archived on a few different dates.

http://web.archive.org/*/http://www..../CS-013743.htm

As far as I know, they're referring to VGA. I don't know how
I'd figure out what your DVI is capable of. It will have
different limitations, due to the cooking up of the
various reduced blanking modes. (That takes effort
from the driver writer, and isn't particularly a
hardware issue.)

So it would seem the list is a bit bigger than that.

For your DVI output, this is the technology I was thinking of.
The picture here shows an ADD card. It plugs into the AGP slot,
and has a SIL164 DVI transmitter or equivalent on it. The thing
is, they can take the chips off this card, and solder them to your
motherboard, to drive a DVI output. And that is because the
AGP slot is not being used for anything (not for upgrading),
so the tiny chips here can be permanently connected.

http://www.intel.com/support/graphic.../CS-009166.htm

While in theory, the SIL164 type device could support 1920x1200
at 60Hz, sometimes there are internal data rate issues inside
the GPU, that prevent it.

Here is another of those helpful pages from Intel.

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-022544.htm

So I downloaded the 865G datasheet, and on PDF page 178, is makes the
claim they could do 2048x1536 via two DVO ports (connected to the
DVI transmitter chip). But that doesn't mean that the
implementation works that way.

http://download.intel.com/design/chi...s/25251405.pdf

As an example of a DVI transmitter, this one has two 12 bit interfaces.
And the 865G has two 12 bit interfaces multiplexed on the AGP pins.
The datasheet here claims up to "UXGA" display resolution on DVI.

http://www.siliconimage.com/docs/SiI-DS-0021-E-164.pdf

From the Wikipedia page on DVI -

UXGA (1600 × 1200) @ 60 Hz with GTF blanking (161 MHz)

The question would then be, whether Intel can change the
setup of the 865G output to use this format. As long as the
"clock number" stays under 165MHz, it should work.

WUXGA (1920 × 1200) @ 60 Hz with CVT-RB blanking (154 MHz)

Paul
Old November 30th 08, 11:44 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Tom

[...]

From the Wikipedia page on DVI -

UXGA (1600 × 1200) @ 60 Hz with GTF blanking (161 MHz)

The question would then be, whether Intel can change the
setup of the 865G output to use this format. As long as the
"clock number" stays under 165MHz, it should work.

WUXGA (1920 × 1200) @ 60 Hz with CVT-RB blanking (154 MHz)

Paul

Much thanks for all the information and the time and effort you put into it.
My PC is getting long in the tooth and I've decided to buy a new one .

Thanks again,

tom

Old November 30th 08, 11:45 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Tom

"HEMI-Powered" wrote in message
geoff added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

The Dell 2408WFP

The second thing I noticed is when looking at the screen out
of the side of my eyes, I notice some vibration which I did
not see with the samsung.

Don't see that with my 26" Samsung

How much did your 26" samsung cost?