PDA internet connection

Old September 26th 08, 02:06 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Shelly[_2_]

Default PDA internet connection

I am contemplating a purchase of a PDA such as the Dell 650-M (windows
mobile).
For e-mail, it is wireless enabled - so I can use it at home with my
wireless router and in hotels with wireless access - I presume.

For hotels without wireless, but with ethernet connectivity in the
rooms, is there a way to get online ??? assuming no wireless from
nearby sources?

tia
Old September 26th 08, 04:49 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Journey

On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 21:06:24 -0400, Shelly
wrote:

I am contemplating a purchase of a PDA such as the Dell 650-M (windows
mobile).
For e-mail, it is wireless enabled - so I can use it at home with my
wireless router and in hotels with wireless access - I presume.

For hotels without wireless, but with ethernet connectivity in the
rooms, is there a way to get online ??? assuming no wireless from
nearby sources?

tia

I don't know of any way to do what you want.

I'd suggest looking into a smartphone / PDA, like a Treo, Blackberry,
or iPhone.

The iPhone, IMO, isn't a very good PDA, but it excels as a phone,
contact management, e-mail device, and iPod. I have an iPhone but
still use a Palm PDA for calendar, task management, and other non-web
apps and I don't see the iPhone having anything near the power of the
Palm or Pocket PC-based PIM apps.

The iPhone is surprising me with the really creative apps that are
being written for it, but in the long run I think having just one
"Home" button and no other hardware buttons may handicap the device. I
would love to have a menu button for application preferences for
example.
Old September 26th 08, 07:24 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Journey

wrote:

I am contemplating a purchase of a PDA such as the Dell 650-M (windows
mobile).
For e-mail, it is wireless enabled - so I can use it at home with my
wireless router and in hotels with wireless access - I presume.

For hotels without wireless, but with ethernet connectivity in the
rooms, is there a way to get online ??? assuming no wireless from
nearby sources?

tia

A few other thoughts ...

At home, would you benefit from using a PDA to read e-mail? I
personally don't even do that on the iPhone which is good in that
area. At home I use a computer -- much more efficient.

Rather than a wi-fi PDA, another option would be to get one of those
"Internet anywhere" cards or USB devices that let you access the
Internet from a laptop over the cellular network.

I have had wi-fi PDA's since 2003, starting with the Palm Tungsten C
all the way up to the Palm TX, and I think I only accessed my e-mail a
few times just to see if it could be done.

I just don't like to be limited to hot spots. With the Smartphones
(Palm, Windows Mobile, Blackberry, Symbian, etc.) you aren't.

If you want to try it I'll give you a beat up unlocked Treo 650 for
the cost of shipping plus $10 for my time. You would have to be able
to use the type of phone on the network (GSM?), but it is unlocked so
it runs on a lot of them.

With people going to iPhones, one can negotiate down pretty far for
Treos on Craig's List.
Old September 29th 08, 01:49 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Shelly[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

Journey: I tried to e-mail y'all, it failed. Send me an e-mail regarding the above.

Old September 29th 08, 05:56 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Journey

wrote:

[...]

Just sent you an e-mail now. A beat up Treo 650 is yours, just
shipping cost + $10 for my time. When you get it and if it works for
you, please post to this thread for completion.

I just like to find homes for my older gadgets.

internet connection not working (help!) Effty General 13 February 7th 06 02:48 PM
Help-INternet connection Mel General 1 September 11th 05 02:03 AM
Help no connection to Internet Lee Bray Gateway Computers 4 June 13th 04 07:17 AM
Internet Connection Siegfried Zech AMD x86-64 Processors 1 March 18th 04 02:18 PM
XP SP1 kills internet connection mrdancer Dell Computers 3 October 19th 03 08:14 PM